Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Rate the Manager: St Mirren (Away, 4th Aug 2018)

TheDarkBlues

Rate The Manager: St Mirren (Away, 06 Aug 2018)  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How did you rate Neil McCann's team selection, substitutions and performance against St Mirren?

Cammy Kerr at left back is  a worrying sign. Cammy's right footed distribution needs work, his left is non-existent. Why play him there? Why not play Ralph, or why let Holt go? We are worse off with Holt gone and Kerr in there.  Wasted wages if Ralph isn't injured. 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
6 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Crazy idea, how about it's given a chance to work? 

Yes, like maybe two seasons of it. One under Hartley and one under McCann. Funny how when the chips were down both binned and went for points instead. 

With the right players, then yes, let's go for it. With the squads of the past few years possession means nothing with little end product and calamity capers in defence.

Oh and it's painfully tedious to watch. 

I'll add to that, that Killie play ball retention football and Hibs play from the back too. However, I'd suggest that their fans will see a far quicker brand of possession football played with width and an attacking flair that we are miles away from attempting. We're slow, laboured and unexciting to watch and have been since before McCann came in, but he's certainly compounded that.

If it was working and we were winning loads of games I'd suck it up and then some (I'd argue that Celtic are exactly that. Slow, laboured, boring yet successful). However, what we're left with is uneventful, passive football and little in the way of results to get excited about. That's not a very enticing combination. 

23 minutes ago, barkblue said:

With the right players, then yes, let's go for it. 

Do you expect these players to just arrive all at once? It and we are a work in progress.

23 minutes ago, barkblue said:

Oh and it's painfully tedious to watch. 

For you, yes. I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and what we're trying to achieve but then, I treat football as an entertainment industry. I won't get all teary eyed if we resorted to just going back to front in the hope of getting lucky. I'd just stop going.

1 minute ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Do you expect these players to just arrive all at once? It and we are a work in progress.

For you, yes. I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and what we're trying to achieve but then, I treat football as an entertainment industry. I won't get all teary eyed if we resorted to just going back to front in the hope of getting lucky. I'd just stop going.

I don't expect all these players to arrive at once, no. However, the squad turnover in recent seasons has been alarming and we appear to be no nearer that elusive day when this style will magically click into place.

To be fair, i wasn't there yesterday so maybe I would have enjoyed it too. I can't say I wouldn't, because I didn't see it.

Not trying to be glib. This is a genuine question that I've asked (not necessarily of you) a few times and never had an answer. However, how did you manage to cope for all these season where we didn't play this style of football? Did you not go then? Did you wait for this style of game to arrive at Dens to decide, yes this is for me. Or did you, like the rest of us - and some of us now - suck it up and and cheer the team on anyway? Because in all may years going to watch Dundee I don't remember us playing like this before. 

Being honest, I'm as close to stopping going now as I ever have been because I genuinely leave most games wondering why I'm paying for such poor entertainment. I'm sticking with it (well I bought a ST anyway), but it is becoming more through a sense of 'this is what I do' than any real expectation that I'm going to enjoy it all that much.

19 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Entertainment...must have missed that last season .

35 minutes ago, barkblue said:

This is a genuine question that I've asked (not necessarily of you) a few times and never had an answer. However, how did you manage to cope for all these season where we didn't play this style of football?

I used to go when my family could afford to do so. Since I've had my own hard earned (lawl) there have been seasons when I'd only go away from home - mainly for the p*ss up - there's been seasons I've not missed a game and there's been seasons I've rarely went. 

Highlights - Bonetti and Rae. 

Low, lowlights - Kernaghan. Scott. Smith. 

2 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I used to go when my family could afford to do so. Since I've had my own hard earned (lawl) there have been seasons when I'd only go away from home - mainly for the p*ss up - there's been seasons I've not missed a game and there's been seasons I've rarely went. 

Highlights - Bonetti and Rae. 

Low, lowlights - Kernaghan. Scott. Smith. 

Fair enough. We all go for our own reasons I suppose. What matters to me (and I'm not saying it doesn't matter to you) is what happens on the park. I've never been one for the day out or the p*ss up but appreciate that often makes me the 'odd ball'. 

Loved the Bonetti seasons, enjoyed the football under Rae as well.

Kerno was a REAL low. Jocky the first and second time was up and down but he got results, but the third time was hard going some weeks. Barry in the Deefiant season was one of the, if not the best time I've had following the Dee's, but the second season failed for a variety of reasons.

The short Chisholm era was a shambles too.

Not being a drama queen (darling) but I'd put last season down as one of my lowest points following the club in terms of how much I enjoy going, although not in the final league placing, which, in all reality was McCann's real job.

To me there’s a difference between punting it long all the time and being a bit more direct. Punting it in a sort of hit and hope fashion is brutal to watch and largely unsuccessful but being more direct and getting the ball into forward areas quicker is what we should be aiming for to put teams on the back foot. I thought we were a bit more direct on Saturday and looked to move it through the lines a bit quicker. Too often last season we spent so much time getting it into the forward areas that teams were set up in a defensive shape which made them really difficult to break down. 

1 hour ago, an-dee said:

To me there’s a difference between punting it long all the time and being a bit more direct. Punting it in a sort of hit and hope fashion is brutal to watch and largely unsuccessful but being more direct and getting the ball into forward areas quicker is what we should be aiming for to put teams on the back foot. I thought we were a bit more direct on Saturday and looked to move it through the lines a bit quicker. Too often last season we spent so much time getting it into the forward areas that teams were set up in a defensive shape which made them really difficult to break down. 

Agree with you regarding Saturday. I thought there was a lot of diversity in how we were getting the ball forward. Probably the most varied I can remember it for a long time.  All the outfield players looking like they weren't frightened to take the ball forward.

Quite amusing reading some of the posts in this thread, back in the sixties Dundee were the epitome of the passing game, I can remember during the league winning season my dad saying, they need to cut out this passing it out from the back rubbish, never win anything playing like that, just hoof it up to Gillie, he,ll finish it of. :happyno:

Adblock Detected