Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

If.

Napper

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
16 minutes ago, Napper said:

Moussa had put that penalty away.. how different would the mood have been on here?

I'd guess that if the rest of the game had panned out as it did (but we'll never know, so I'm not sure of the relevance of the question) then it would be a little more even handed and forgiving, but folk would still be upset at how things went in the last five minutes and be questioning the defensive aspect of the game, why or RB was at LB and whether Hamilton is the keeper for us.

10 minutes ago, Valentke said:

“De ja vu” is how the sportscene pundits accurately put it.

I'd agree with that.. what my point was.. we need someone who can actually put the ball in the net.. seems to be easily said than done..It's been a few seasons when there's been loads of chances created .. but, few taken... I was watching via OAM's and online stuff on Saturday.. and, it was fated that we would pay for chances missed..

I'm more concerned with defence than attack. If you keep a clean sheet you're guaranteed a point. Last season we scored a couple of goals to lead at Rugby Park but still ended up with nothing because our defence couldn't cope with their 10 men.

Hearts averaged a goal a game last season, same as Dundee. The difference was they kept goals out at the other end.

With Madianga and Elton in the team this year I'm confident we'll get over 40 goals in the league regardless of who we sign. Top six will come down to whether we can defend well.

Regarding Saturday we score a fantastic goal away from home. How many goals do we need to score? A lot of teams manage to score a single goal in games and get a draw or a win. Doesn't happen very often for Dundee though.

33 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I'm more concerned with defence than attack. If you keep a clean sheet you're guaranteed a point. Last season we scored a couple of goals to lead at Rugby Park but still ended up with nothing because our defence couldn't cope with their 10 men.

Hearts averaged a goal a game last season, same as Dundee. The difference was they kept goals out at the other end.

With Madianga and Elton in the team this year I'm confident we'll get over 40 goals in the league regardless of who we sign. Top six will come down to whether we can defend well.

Regarding Saturday we score a fantastic goal away from home. How many goals do we need to score? A lot of teams manage to score a single goal in games and get a draw or a win. Doesn't happen very often for Dundee though.

And if we'd taken the chances created we'd have won easily. Better to be good at both ends of the pitch than neither.

26 minutes ago, barkblue said:

And if we'd taken the chances created we'd have won easily. Better to be good at both ends of the pitch than neither.

The league's big five teams regularly miss good chances. For the other seven teams it's even more likely good chances are going to be missed. We're paying an average £1,100 a week so we can't expect our strikers to gobble up half chances like Harry Kane.

You look at our 0-0 draw at Parkhead. The ball is played into Dembele 10 yards out. You think he's got to score but he sidefoots it weakly straight at Parish. If that was Moussa, folk would be lining up to say "He's sh**e! We need a proven striker!".

The point is if a guy worth £20m or whatever squanders gilt-edged chances then it's inevitable our strikers are going to waste opportunities so it's probably a good idea to drill the defence until they are performing like Hearts or Killie last season or Partick the season before that.

If we need to score two or three goals to pick up a point then it's clear to me that the main problem is at the back.

4 hours ago, Cobra said:

If we need to score two or three goals to pick up a point then it's clear to me that the main problem is at the back.

Let's not over complicate things - it's a simple enough game.  The more you concede, the more you need to score to pick anything up.  

5 hours ago, Cobra said:

The league's big five teams regularly miss good chances. For the other seven teams it's even more likely good chances are going to be missed. We're paying an average £1,100 a week so we can't expect our strikers to gobble up half chances like Harry Kane.

You look at our 0-0 draw at Parkhead. The ball is played into Dembele 10 yards out. You think he's got to score but he sidefoots it weakly straight at Parish. If that was Moussa, folk would be lining up to say "He's sh**e! We need a proven striker!".

The point is if a guy worth £20m or whatever squanders gilt-edged chances then it's inevitable our strikers are going to waste opportunities so it's probably a good idea to drill the defence until they are performing like Hearts or Killie last season or Partick the season before that.

This is true however our continual inability to take chances puts the whole team and in particular the defence, under uneccesarry pressure. The miss you describe for Dembele is usually atoned for by him or a team mate scoring from another opportunity.

The number of glorious opportunities we squandered last season was incredible and it’s continued into this season already.

Being in a position of strength and a couple of goals to the good, lifts the mood and most importantly eases the pressure on our back line when our opponents have their chances or spell in a game.

Just about every team in the league has managed to turn us over whilst creating less opportunities to score and / or hitting us with a sucker punch. That’s not all down to their ability to defend well, it’s almost always heavily influenced by us not taking our chances and not punishing their mistakes. 

Failing to take our chances or capitalize on our opponents defensive errors is by far the biggest issue we have IMO.

We don’t mange to do it and more of than not, our opponents do.

Moussa has never been the answer (being kind to him) and Mendy looks busy but needs to get his shooting boots on. We simply don’t have any other out and out striking options beyond that other than hoping the young lads can save us.

If we don’t sign at least one decent striker, we can expect more of the same.

5 hours ago, Cobra said:

The big difference here is that Dembele misses the occasional sitter whereas Moussa only scores the occasional sitter (very occasional). Dembele scores something like 25  goals a season. If Moussa was producing form like that then I’m sure the occasional howler is much more likely to be forgiven. 

If we score even a third of our chances on Saturday we are 3 goals up. As pointed out by the ‘experts’ on sportscene last night, if you are not taking these chances then it puts a huge pressure on the rest of the team. 

Adblock Detected