Jump to content

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

'Cricket' . (One Word, Sport/Pastime, Discussion Themes)


Recommended Posts

Wood's comment on previous ... One Word, Sport/ Pastime, Topic, which was American Football...

"Only sport better than cricket for curing insomnia"  :)

Got to slightly disagree here freend. Cricket is the Pits.

How can (normal) fowk Watch that sh**e awe day?:chaplin: null

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

"Only sport better than cricket for curing insomnia" 

Got to slightly disagree here freend. Cricket is the Pits.

I admit my attention span for cricket lasts about the time it takes for the bowler's run-up to the first delivery. The commentators slow & whispery voices don't help.

However, growing up in The Ferry, the annual pilgrimage to Forthill cricket ground (now the Forthill Primary, I guess?) for the Fofarshire v Perthshire match was always quite an event....huge crowd (well, compared to Tannadice anyway ;)). The attraction, though, for us primary-age kids, was a lazy day in the sun (in the midst of otherwise hectic school holidays featuring loads of football, a couple of weeks of street-tennis, berry-picking in Croll's fields, and a lot of fishing off the Ferry pilot pier)....and a few ice creams, bottles of coke....and of course sunburnt lugs! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Attilio said:

Great game.  Some of my most memorable sporting memories have been at cricket matches.

Attilio ... I'm no sure freend, you've said enough to convince me ...

Did you actually play the game, or watch the game? I was forced to go to live game once.

When I worked in a Residential Home for Young persons. This young lad was selected to

play, as semingly he was something special. But he had to be accompanied, for reasons

I don't need to go into. He'd hardly arrived at the wicket, when he was bowled oot 1st baw.

Eh tried to look sympathetic...But eh was delighted. Thought I was in for a whole day:chaplin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

I admit my attention span for cricket lasts about the time it takes for the bowler's run-up to the first delivery. The commentators slow & whispery voices don't help.

However, growing up in The Ferry, the annual pilgrimage to Forthill cricket ground (now the Forthill Primary, I guess?) for the Fofarshire v Perthshire match was always quite an event....huge crowd (well, compared to Tannadice anyway ). The attraction, though, for us primary-age kids, was a lazy day in the sun (in the midst of otherwise hectic school holidays featuring loads of football, a couple of weeks of street-tennis, berry-picking in Croll's fields, and a lot of fishing off the Ferry pilot pier)....and a few ice creams, bottles of coke....and of course sunburnt lugs! 

Hello Again Wood' ... I am beginning to think you've been leading me on a wee bit, wi' yir first indication, that Cricket wisnae for you.

It looks to me, like you have a wee place in yir hert for the gemme ... "Lazy Day in the Sun, Huge Crowds, Ice Cream & Sunburnt Lugs"

And it has certainly brought some fine memories of days gone by (for me)The skale fitba, the berry-picking & the fishing aff the Pier.

My first introduction to cricket was on the black & white TV (early 1950's) Meh dad decided to but an early tv (which my mum rightly)

said we couldnae afford. I think to justify the cost, he had awe the family watch ... And it was Cricket (Ironic really, because he hated

cricket, near as much as he hated the fowk fae england) I thought the thing had stopped working. But meh faither explained, that wis

how the game was played. After a day o' thon, eh wis well up for "going into care" when eh realised, he must really have hated me:chaplin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Derekgow said:

Cricket is actually a great game to play,  not  so good to watch tbf. I often wish my school had it on the curriculum.

Derek' I think you are rapidly going weel down in meh estimation :)

Were ye any good at it? And how did you get into it? Punishment? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Attilio ... I'm no sure freend, you've said enough to convince me ...

Did you actually play the game, or watch the game? I was forced to go to live game once.

When I worked in a Residential Home for Young persons. This young lad was selected to

play, as semingly he was something special. But he had to be accompanied, for reasons

I don't need to go into. He'd hardly arrived at the wicket, when he was bowled oot 1st baw.

Eh tried to look sympathetic...But eh was delighted. Thought I was in for a whole day:chaplin:

I wasn't trying to convince you or win you over.  I usually find folks views on these kind of things are well entrenched and well set.  I played the game for just short of ten years (Sunday afternoon) and regularly watched it live (test matches and ODIs) from around 1984-2002.  Saw a good number of 20/20 matches at the Oval before moving back north  It helped that I lived in the south for 20 odd years but I was already a fan before I moved there.  Some folks just don't get the game but then again millions do.  In the same vein, I don't get baseball but love American Football.  Can't abide horse racing or anything to do with horses really, although they are magnificent animals.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Derek' I think you are rapidly going weel down in meh estimation :)

Were ye any good at it? And how did you get into it? Punishment? ;)

Well I thought I was quite good. :) although I should probably leave that for others to say. :slaphead: I didn’t actually get into it till I moved to England in the late seventies. You shouldn’t diss it till you,ve tried it G. :lol2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Attilio said:

I wasn't trying to convince you or win you over.  I usually find folks views on these kind of things are well entrenched and well set.  I played the game for just short of ten years (Sunday afternoon) and regularly watched it live (test matches and ODIs) from around 1984-2002.  Saw a good number of 20/20 matches at the Oval before moving back north  It helped that I lived in the south for 20 odd years but I was already a fan before I moved there.  Some folks just don't get the game but then again millions do.  In the same vein, I don't get baseball but love American Football.  Can't abide horse racing or anything to do with horses really, although they are magnificent animals.

 

Thanks Attilio for your Fine & Quick Response ... I hope you werenae offended by my own opening reponse (jist a bit o' fun) ;)

Some posts (including my own) I do take seriously. But in the same vein, if there is a wee laugh to be had, I try to go for it if pos.

Certainly I'm no really "entrenched" aboot anything (weel maybe a wee bit aboot cricket) But I do realise it would not be popular.

And have such a large following, unless it had a lot to offer. Were you high standard at the game .... Or is that not so important?

Question: Within the team of players are there specialist areas, Bowlers, Batsmen, Wicket-Keepers, Out-Field.? Or awe muck in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Derekgow said:

Well I thought I was quite good.  although I should probably leave that for others to say.  I didn’t actually get into it till I moved to England in the late seventies. You shouldn’t diss it till you,ve tried it G. 

Thanks for getting back sae quick Derek ... The last bit eh highlighted is of course correct (But ye ken me well enough by now I'm sure)

I would never seriously take the rise out of ANY sport (or anyone) Especially sports or pastimes I had no knowlege of, or little interest in.

But I think this will be a tricky topic to get off the ground (If I, & I hope others) get really into it...There is a lot o' sports/pastimes oot there.

Ultimately, my main goal is to keep TDBF as active/varied/interesting, as possible. DFC & News of Games, Players etc. is always priority.

But I believe there is a lot of "ither stuff" oot there, that might interest awe members o' the forum...And together we can laugh & learn:chaplin:

Regarding yir Guid Self My Freend .. Meh gut feeling is yOU were better than "quite good" at the game. So dinnae you be huddin back ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...