Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Sky Football Auction.

I am the first to admit that English football is better than ours.

The thing that bugs me is that Sky's Scottish customers are contributing to this without a fair return being invested in our game.

The gap in Sky's TV money between the Scottish and English game has now reached obscene levels.

Sky is making it easy for English clubs to strip our game of our best talent, more often than not before they have had time to mature.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I've just seen that there has been a 70-odd% increase in the amount of money now going to the English prem for broadcasting rights. Something around £5.2 billion (BILLION!). Works out at around £10 million per game shown. This is just going too far and it's heading for complete meltdown at some point in the not too distant future.

Anyone know the percentage breakdown of Scottish to English customers who have sky sports. Pubs and houses.

Also the difference between what Scottish football get and English football per year?

Would like to know the % wise of what we actually get put into our game for the money we put in.

I'm asked to pace tens of thousands for sky to show Scottish games, only because the English games are includes in the package.

I don't want, need or like English football. So why do I need to pay for an English dominated package.

To be honest most people enjoy the English Premiership coverage, unfortunately people in Scotland will be asked to stump up increased subscriptions to help pay for this latest deal.

We could improve our football and stadiums if Sky gave us a fair crack of the whip.

It probably does not help to have a bunch of amateurs at Hampden doing the TV negotiations.

To be honest most people enjoy the English Premiership coverage, unfortunately people in Scotland will be asked to stump up increased subscriptions to help pay for this latest deal.

We could improve our football and stadiums if Sky gave us a fair crack of the whip.

It probably does not help to have a bunch of amateurs at Hampden doing the TV negotiations.

A 30 million pound deal a year would mean a great structure for us. A million per spfl team then filter down.

Some rough numbers and headlines:

SKY have circa 10.7 million pay TV customers

Around 900,000 of them are in Scotland.

Total value of 2016-2019 Premiership TV deal was £5.136 billion.

SKY Paid £4.176 billion for 126 games a season

BT paid £960 million for 42 games a season.

That's £10.2 million per match

There will be 168 games a season broadcast live in total.

Scotland contributes 8.4% of the total pay TV subscription revenue so that represents £447.2 million towards the English Premiership deal.

That's £149 million per season from Scottish customers for English football.

There are no publicly released figures for the last gasp deal struck between the SPFL and Sky but it's thought to be around £15 million per SEASON.

Scottish customers share of that is £1.26 million

What does this all mean?

Per season Scotland's contributed "share" of 8.4% for SKY's UK football deals is approximately £150.6 million.

Only £1.26 million of that is for the SPFL deal

That's only 0.83% of the Scottish subscribers share towards the overall cost of UK football.

But.... SKY don't just generate revenue from subscriptions. Far from it.

Not being funny, but stand and listen to half time chat at Dens and it's almost as much about what's happening in the English game as it is the Scottish and I know plenty of guys who rush home to see the late Saturday EPL kick off.

I don't have Sky Sports and have no intention of doing so.

That said, if I did, I be far more likely to sit down and watch Sunderland v Southampton rather than St. Mirren v Celtic.

But maybe that's just me, but as far as I can see plenty of folks up here watch as much, if not more, English stuff than Scottish.

Some rough numbers and headlines:

SKY have circa 10.7 million pay TV customers

Around 900,000 of them are in Scotland.

Total value of 2016-2019 Premiership TV deal was £5.136 billion.

SKY Paid £4.176 billion for 126 games a season

BT paid £960 million for 42 games a season.

That's £10.2 million per match

There will be 168 games a season broadcast live in total.

Scotland contributes 8.4% of the total pay TV subscription revenue so that represents £447.2 million towards the English Premiership deal.

That's £149 million per season from Scottish customers for English football.

There are no publicly released figures for the last gasp deal struck between the SPFL and Sky but it's thought to be around £15 million per SEASON.

Scottish customers share of that is £1.26 million

What does this all mean?

Per season Scotland's contributed "share" of 8.4% for SKY's UK football deals is approximately £150.6 million.

Only £1.26 million of that is for the SPFL deal

That's only 0.83% of the Scottish subscribers share towards the overall cost of UK football.

But.... SKY don't just generate revenue from subscriptions. Far from it.

Excellent post. Good figures and well structured reply.

That's a rep point mate.

Anyway. They figures to me shows that we pay pay far to much for nothing.

Personally I think there should be an option to buy sky sports news and there should be a sky sports Scotland that shows all Scottish games.

There could be a Friday game. Early Saturday game, 3pm kick off and a late kick off. Then two games on a Sunday. EVERY WEEK.

Rotation if time slots for games.

Means every week teams would get money for TV. Could throw in first division games, maybe some lower league derby's, highlights shows. Team interviews etc etc.

Not being funny, but stand and listen to half time chat at Dens and it's almost as much about what's happening in the English game as it is the Scottish and I know plenty of guys who rush home to see the late Saturday EPL kick off.

That said, if I did, I be far more likely to sit down and watch Sunderland v Southampton rather than St. Mirren v Celtic.

But maybe that's just me, but as far as I can see plenty of folks up here watch as much, if not more, English stuff than Scottish.

Your absoloutely right but it's a huge catch 22 at the same time..

Plough obscene amounts of money into the EPL at every level, package it up with as much razzmataz as possible and you will soon have people all over the world talking about it, choosing an "English team" and rushing home to watch it...

The reason people are speaking bout English teams is more to do with betting. Most people put on accumulators and then view on their phones. Nothing more I think. More due to Scottish teams beating each other so to hard to choose bets.

I think everyone watches it because the have no choice. I know lads who buy sky just for Scottish games but watch English games to get there moneys worth.

there should be a sky sports Scotland that shows all Scottish games.

Get where your coming from but in the current climate that would probably devalue our leagues deal even more bud...

It won't be far off more people watching Scottish football in England than Scotland due to population share alone. If SKY were to separate the Scottish League to its own "channel" the take up for it would be tiny in comparison to demand for their mainstream sports channels and EPL offering.

Two sad facts:

1. The individuals and bodies we currently have governing the game in Scotland don't have an ounce of talent between them to pull together even a semi reasonable product that Pay TV broadcasters will invest in.

2. Broadcasters invest money into pro sports packages that they believe they will get a return on.

If they did somehow manage to push through the required change in our game to make it a more attractive basic proposition; then the likes of SKY would more than likely invest in it and look to add value to the overall product. They would see a return from increased popularity, viewing figures, advertising and a further reaching "footprint" for the Scottish game.

Until we sort ourselves out, we are destined to just be "filler" between the main events..

Adblock Detected