The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Boba Fett

McCann Must Go - WDTPR Editorial

Rate this topic

Very clear analogy. Stop the rot at Dens and change the management. Give us hope. 

It’s well written and sums things up perfectly. 

I genuinely don’t know any Dundee supporter personally who does not want change.

There seems to be people on here but, not one supporter I have spoken to doesn’t believe he needs to go. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Relegation for Dundee this season would be a disaster, both on and off the park

Relegation was a disaster for Dundee in 2005 because we were on the brink. FPS have said they would continue to support the club financially if we returned to the Championship so I wouldn't assume it would be a disaster returning to the Championship.

32 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

For a club with a top six budget

There is no top six when it comes to finances. There is a top five and a bottom seven and we are very much bottom seven. Partick were paying the same as us before they were relegated.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

11 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Relegation was a disaster for Dundee in 2005 because we were on the brink. FPS have said they would continue to support the club financially if we returned to the Championship so I wouldn't assume it would be a disaster returning to the Championship.

There is no top six when it comes to finances. There is a top five and a bottom seven and we are very much bottom seven. Partick were paying the same as us before they were relegated.

Losses in the championship would be huge with SPL wages being paid....

Edited by Mr Sensible

8 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Losses in the championship would be huge with SPL wages being paid....

Contracts ending in 2019... Kerr, McGowan, Moussa, O'Dea, Kamara, Parish, Deacon, Kusunga, Madianga, Nabi, Curran, Kallman, Boyle, Inniss, Waddell, Haber, Vincent and El Bak.

Kerr, McGowan, Waddell and Parish might accept a lower wage and the rest would be off.

That leaves Meekings, Mendy, Miller, Spence, Elton, Ralph and Hamilton, and I suspect only Meekings and Miller (and maybe Hamilton) are earning a fairly big wage.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Contracts ending in 2019... Kerr, McGowan, Moussa, O'Dea, Kamara, Parish, Deacon, Kusunga, Madianga, Nabi, Curran, Kallman, Boyle, Inniss, Haber, Vincent and El Bak.

Kerr, McGowan and Parish might accept a lower wage and the rest would be off.

That leaves Meekings, Mendy, Miller, Spence, Elton, Ralph and Hamilton, and I suspect only Meekings and Miller (and maybe Hamilton) are earning a fairly big wage.

And what about the huge loss of earnings from Old firm, hibs hearts aberdeen

If we are losing close to 300 K per year now with the Board demanding an extra 1000fans just to plug the financial hole, what would it be to plug the gaps next year.

Doesnt bear thinking about.

Edited by Mr Sensible
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

If we are losing close to 300 K per year now with the Board demanding an extra 1000fans just to plug the financial hole, what would it be go plug the gaps next year.

Live within our means as a championship team, like we did for many other years?

At least, in the Championship we might be winning a lot more games. 😉

1 minute ago, Mr Sensible said:

If we are losing close to 300 K per year now with the Board demanding an extra 1000fans just to plug the financial hole, what would it be go plug the gaps next year.

St Mirren built a strong squad last season and won the league without going bankrupt. I don't see why we can't do the same.

We have the most stable and reliable board we've had in the last quarter century and a solid plan to move to a new stadium in place. The board have access to money and shown a willingness to spend it when needed. Therefore, I don't think relegation this season would be a disaster. It's conceivable that with a good managerial appointment, some decent signings and a re-energised support, we could find ourselves a lot happier 12 months from now in the Championship (not that I'm keen to go through another relegation).

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Contracts ending in 2019... Kerr, McGowan, Moussa, O'Dea, Kamara, Parish, Deacon, Kusunga, Madianga, Nabi, Curran, Kallman, Boyle, Inniss, Haber, Vincent and El Bak.

Kerr, McGowan and Parish might accept a lower wage and the rest would be off.

what about the losses that'll come about through smaller crowds? DFC's crowds have been pretty low over the last couple of seasons because of what we are seeing on the park.. no cup runs and crap performances in the league... this club needs a Kilmarnock style bounce to get out of this rut, and that, unfortunately, will only come about through a change in management...as for relegation not being a disaster because the owners will keep covering losses.. that seems a very short sighted view..never mind taking into consideration that, while Utd languish in the Championship, this has been a great opportunity for DFC to take top dog status in the city, get younger fans enthused and through the turnstiles.. unfortunately, because of how rank rotten they have been, this isn't happening.. if we go down and Utd come up, this will be a major disaster for our club..in terms of finances, crowds, status..never mind the loss of jobs at the club.. the dismantling of the youth system and just the general f**cking misery of being back in that god awful league.. the only chance we have to avoid all of that is, imho, getting rid of the management team..unfortunately, it seems to me, most managers would struggle with the squad that McCann has assembled..

• Like 1

Excellent article highlighting an incredibly short sighted chief executive, who must be the only one seeing any potential for a positive outcome. Only think  I can think of  otherwise is that there is some agreement that is waiting to be executed which would see the manager leave for less.  Even if we win , he is still woefully inadequate for the SPL and we will be in trouble if he stays in charge.

Why is John Nelms not acting?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

At least, in the Championship we might be winning a lot more games. 😉

3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

St Mirren built a strong squad last season and won the league without going bankrupt. I don't see why we can't do the same.

We have the most stable and reliable board we've had in the last quarter century and a solid plan to move to a new stadium in place. The board have access to money and shown a willingness to spend it when needed. Therefore, I don't think relegation this season would be a disaster. It's conceivable that with a good managerial appointment, some decent signings and a re-energised support, we could find ourselves a lot happier 12 months from now in the Championship (not that I'm keen to go through another relegation).

Sub 3500 crowds

poorer players

no guarantee of coming back up. 

the americans are demanding more fans, the crowds would fall through the floor if were relegated...

no way would Tim Keyes keep throwing money at DFC 

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

No no no! We must fight to stay up. It's not too late....yet. championship looks strong and I think we'd struggle to be in the playoffs on current form. Can we trust the Dundee council to support stadium plans? I don't. Change management team now and give us a chance. Currently we are hopeless. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Napper said:

what about the losses that'll come about through smaller crowds? DFC's crowds have been pretty low over the last couple of seasons because of what we are seeing on the park.. no cup runs and crap performances in the league... this club needs a Kilmarnock style bounce to get out of this rut, and that, unfortunately, will only come about through a change in management...as for relegation not being a disaster because the owners will keep covering losses.. that seems a very short sighted view..never mind taking into consideration that, while Utd languish in the Championship, this has been a great opportunity for DFC to take top dog status in the city, get younger fans enthused and through the turnstiles.. unfortunately, because of how rank rotten they have been, this isn't happening.. if we go down and Utd come up, this will be a major disaster for our club..in terms of finances, crowds, status..never mind the loss of jobs at the club.. the dismantling of the youth system and just the general f**cking misery of being back in that god awful league.. the only chance we have to avoid all of that is, imho, getting rid of the management team..unfortunately, it seems to me, most managers would struggle with the squad that McCann has assembled..

Well said mate...

Just now, cg73 said:

No no no! We must fight to stay up. It's not too late....yet. championship looks strong and I think we'd struggle to be in the playoffs on current form. Can we trust the Dundee council to support stadium plans? I don't. Change management team now and give us a chance. Currently we are hopeless. 

15,000 seater in the first div...

if it wasnt so serious, you would laugh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Napper said:

I agree with everything there except the last sentence. Some of these guys are pretty good with the right management helping them. Kallman in particular could be a real find. Management change urgent or it's disaster. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Sub 3500 crowds

poorer players

the americans are demanding more fans, the crowds would fall through the floor if were relegated...

no way would Tim Keyes keep throwing money at DFC 

We were getting crowds of 4-5k in our last season in the Championship and we're getting those same crowds now.

Keyes has said he will support the club if they return to the Championship and his commitment to the new stadium has been unwavering.

We might end up signing poorer players like Peaso and Nade but that might be preferable to what's being served up right now.

3 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Sub 3500 crowds

All the time we have been in the first division our crowds never fell below 3500, I don't see that changing. As things stand right now, we are falling below the 4000, not because of the division we are in but are due to the results and league position.

3 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

poorer players

Poorer players possibly, but on a much reduced wages, no?

4 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

True, but at least this time we would have a play-off spot to aim for, we never had that the last time we were relegated.

7 minutes ago, cg73 said:

Of course we must fight to stay in the Premiership. I'm just saying relegation wouldn't necessarily be a disaster. We'd have the resources to do what we did in 2013/14.

I don't think we need to get rid of all our players. Better organisation, recognition and exploitation of their strengths will improve things, possibly even enough to see us ok. But McCann cant do it. There are some who are probably not up to scratch as well, but they would be found out by a more experienced manager.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

15,000 seater in the first div...

if it wasnt so serious, you would laugh.

You mean like.. Hearts, Hibs and Rangers?

Sad to see such illustrious clubs go to the wall for having massive stadiums in the Championship. RIP.

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Seriously?

The club almost went to the wall, went into admin and were a ball hair from being liquidated during our 7 seasons down.

The mid 90s when we were down were the same.

We don't live within our means in the top flight at present so I think you're absolutely miles off with that one.

Doesn't bear thinking about the situation we'd be in if we went down. 

We simply have to stay up.

Personally, I don’t think we will be relegated, but if we are, I,m not going to throw my toys out the pram over it, I,m a Dundee supporter and always will be, no matter where we are playing or in what division.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

We were getting crowds of 4-5k in our last season in the Championship and we're getting those same crowds now.

Keyes has said he will support the club if they return to the Championship and his commitment to the new stadium has been unwavering.

We might end up signing poorer players like Peaso and Nade but that might be preferable to what's being served up right now.

Much do you think the board would charge next season in division 1?

we were getting 4K but that was when were top of league, but that was with a 20quid admission fee.

24-25 quid to watch Alloa

good luck with that..

would be a financial disaster.