The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  

Experienced Coach To Come In To Help McCann

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, offshoredee said:

double post

I would not be surprised to see Jim Jeffries eventually take over as manager with NM concentrating on the coaching side of things. 

35 minutes ago, FabCab said:

If true, the BoD clearly can’t afford to get rid of NM!

How do you figure that out? 

35 minutes ago, FabCab said:

Would Jim Duffy be a better choice? At least he’d organise our defence.

Aye, Jim Duffy has a great reputation for well organised defensive tea... oh wait, naw.

• Star Post 1

6 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Aye, Jim Duffy has a great reputation for well organised defensive tea... oh wait, naw.

At least he would fit right at home if we get relegated..... 🙄

• Funny 3

I hope its the case that we're getting that 'old head' that some have been asking for, FPS are certainly giving NM every chance. I'm curious if this is coming from NM or if he's been 'telt'. Irrelevant really just curious. JJ is in an easy gig going by that article so if he does come I'd guess its either 'on loan' or that he'll be on a decent wage with us. I'd also guess it means NM ain't going anywhere for a while yet. 

27 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

How do you figure that out? 

Just my opinion but if the BoD want an experienced coach in they don’t think NM is doing a good enough job. This option is cheaper than emptying him.

In terms of Duffy, to my mind still one of the best readers of the game defensively when he was a player - even with just one good knee. In my opinion he’d help our defence more than NM or Gartland. Just an opinion though...

24 minutes ago, Sandeman said:

At least he would fit right at home if we get relegated..... 🙄

He's probably more at home on the bru.. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

He's probably more at home on the bru.. :lol: 

Been a lot worse in charge for us over the years. Still a great player for the club during his time here and I personally would not have liked to be manager after that sh**e with admin 1.

4 minutes ago, Sandeman said:

Been a lot worse in charge for us over the years. Still a great player for the club during his time here

Absolutely. I'm just not having because he was a decent CH he'd automatically make us better organised. He's well known for playing open, attacking football. If it was the case of "decent player = decent coach" then we'd be ripping teams down both flanks and creating chance after chance week after week. 

• Like 2

We need somebody to change the way we play in midfield, not just defence although they are related.  A more direct midfield with width would take pressure off of our defence. That is by far our  weakest area in my opinion. Don't protect the fullbacks, no width, little fight, desperately ineffective sideways passing. Can Jefferies play in midfield? Only a wee bit older  than Miller. Will McCann listen to him because his own ideas are our problem.

At least it's a sign that somebody recognises McCann and Gartland   can't cut it. 

did jj not want us folded at one stage??

5 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

We need somebody to change the way we play in midfield, not just defence although they are related.  A more direct midfield with width would take pressure off of our defence. That is by far our  weakest area in my opinion. Don't protect the fullbacks, no width, little fight, desperately ineffective sideways passing. Can Jefferies play in midfield? Only a wee bit older  than Miller. Will McCann listen to him because his own ideas are our problem.

At least it's a sign that somebody recognises McCann and Gartland   can't cut it. 

Biggest plus for me is this. You'd think that JN has actually listened to the collective wisdom and taken action;. Of course it could have been a joint decision, or even an NM inspired one but whatever it is it seems to me to be a very positive move. Better than getting rid and appointing a new broom, IMO.

10 minutes ago, sneddee said:

did jj not want us folded at one stage??

I remember Billy Sodds and Gordon Chisholm did, not sure about Jim Jefferies though, but I might be wrong.

This to me seems like a carbon copy of across the road where Utd drafted in Sturrock to help Laslo. Never made any difference there because the issue was Laslo.

If this has come from the board then it completely undermines McCann. The manager has to be in charge and the players need to know he's in charge.

If this has come from McCann then I would question why we are allowing him to spend even more money.

Basically I think this is a bad idea. If it gets results then great, I'll be happy to be proven wrong. But I just feel the fan base needs to be re-energised right now. A fudge to keep McCann in place for at least few more months isn't going to do that and will likely see fans continue to drift unless he can get us going on a Killie type run.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 2

4 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

This to me seems like a carbon copy of across the road where Utd drafted in Sturrock to help Laslo. Never made any difference there because the issue was Laslo.

If this has come from the board then it completely undermines McCann. The manager has to be in charge and the players need to know he's in charge.

If this has come from McCann then I would question why we are allowing him to spend even more money.

Basically I think this is a bad idea. If it gets results then great, I'll be happy to be proven wrong. But I just feel the fan base needs to be re-energised right now. A fudge to keep McCann in place for at least few more months isn't going to do that and will likely see fans continue to drift unless he can get us going on a Killie type run.

If it works, what's not to like. Totally agree about the requirement for everyone, especially NM to be on the same page. Think there is little likelihood that it will be even remotely like our neighbor's attempt. They were trying to turn the clock back, players living within 25 miles of their ground, bringing back a legend from over 30years ago. That's not at all like what seems to be happening here IMO.

7 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Old boys network and a salary. If true it had better work.

Whatever the reason, if NM is getting in an 'old head', he's most likely going to get someone he knows and trusts rather than some random who might have vastly different views. As for the salary, JJ has a cushy number at the moment by the sound of things so IF it happens, he might even doing it to help out a mate. All total speculation on my part but it just seems everything that the club do or don't do at the moment gets dissected and found fault with.

3 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Whatever the reason, if NM is getting in an 'old head', he's most likely going to get someone he knows and trusts rather than some random who might have vastly different views. As for the salary, JJ has a cushy number at the moment by the sound of things so IF it happens, he might even doing it to help out a mate. All total speculation on my part but it just seems everything that the club do or don't do at the moment gets dissected and found fault with.

Not finding fault but worried we are getting desperate. I know I am.

Non starter according to club. See tonight’s Tully.

2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Not finding fault but worried we are getting desperate. I know I am.

Not sure if its 'desperate' to bring in an 'old head', plenty on here have been wanting it for a while with all sorts of names getting thrown around.

12 minutes ago, bp33 said:

Non starter according to club. See tonight’s Tully.

Thank feck.