Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Gary Harkins Believes Dundee Are Hitting Good Form At Right Time

JoeCovenant

Source: The Evening Telegraph

Dundee are hitting form at just the right time, according to supporters’ favourite Gary Harkins.

The Dark Blues set themselves a target of a place in the top half of the table for their first season back in the top division and Harkins believes the side are in position to achieve just that. With Saturday’s late victory over Partick Thistle, where Harkins had a big hand in creating the goal for Paul McGowan, the club have moved ahead of St Johnstone into sixth place with the Perth club’s loss to Celtic.

Saints have played one game less than Dundee.

However, with the two clubs meeting at McDiarmid Park in the final game before the split, the Dark Blues’ destiny is in their own hands. They are also on a seven-match unbeaten run in the league since the New Year derby defeat at Tannadice, giving Harkins and his team-mates plenty of confidence going forward.

He said: “We’re doing alright in the league, picking up points. And that’s just what we need to be doing at this time of the season. We think we can keep a hold of the top-six spot, that’s the aim. That’s what we’re hoping to do, so fingers crossed.â€

Harkins had been suffering from a shin complaint which kept him out for three weeks before he returned to the match-day squad on Saturday. The attacking midfielder had originally been ruled out of the Partick contest only to return to training the day before, taking his place on the substitutes bench.

His return to the pitch was a decisive one, though, as he laid on the winner for McGowan to tap in at the back post. This gave the Dark Blues what could be an extremely vital three points for their top- half aspirations.

“I’d been injured for a wee while but I was just happy to get on the pitch and it was good to get on and get the win,†he said. “On Thursday I had done a wee bit of running and felt alright, trained on the Friday and got through it fine, so it was good to be back. It’s always good to come on and make an impact.

“As for the goal, I didn’t want to take Paul Gallacher on with the one-on-one, so I decided I would pass instead. I know he tries his best against me, so I thought I’d just let somebody else score. It’s good to get three points out of a game like that, we’re happy with how it ended.

“It wasn’t a great match but that’s the type of games that, if you win, you climb the league, so we’re glad we got the points.â€

And those extra two points may well prove to be the difference come the end of the season.

However, for the Dundee players, they can only look forward to the next game — on paper a winnable one against struggling Motherwell at Fir Park. The Steelmen’s latest loss came against Ross County in Dingwall on Saturday.

“It’ll be a tough one against Motherwell but we’ll be looking to keep our run going and doing our best to win the match,†Gary said. “The top six is the aim, so it’s up to us to stay there now. We’re quite pleased that we’re there at this time of the season. And we’re, hopefully, going to kick on and win the next couple of fixtures.â€

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Adblock Detected