The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Wattie Rojas

Jesse Curran

Rate this topic

I'm not sure I get the comparisons with Boyle. Boyle had remarkable pace but no end product. Is Curran particularly fast?

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'm not sure I get the comparisons with Boyle. Boyle had remarkable pace but no end product. Is Curran particularly fast?

He is rapid yup.

On 17/11/2018 at 16:03, barkblue said:

Nothing personal @sneddee but I do think that if there's one thing the last three season have taught us, it's to over appreciate average players. 

nothing personal either bb but IMO he is more than an average player, 

and developing into a great player. all in my opinion of course!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sneddee said:

nothing personal either bb but IMO he is more than an average player, 

and developing into a great player. all in my opinion of course!!

I hope you're right mate!

• Like 1

On 17/11/2018 at 11:23, Tayportdee said:

compared to what ? He can run fast and direct.............

like no other in our team!!!

For ages many on here have been screaming "we need a winger" now that we have a reasonable facimile of one, still for some he's not good enough. FFS this is DFC if he was perfect he'd be on his toes.

Some of Curran's crossing was outstanding in the last game. Very encouraging to see.

St Mirren are a Championship team in all but name though. We need those players who impressed in dark blue last weekend to step up on Saturday at Easter Road and produce against a strong side.

• Star Post 1

I thought Curran was decent the first few games of the season before being pretty awful up until the Saints game.

He's fast but I personally don't rate him any higher than the likes of Spence. Them two together in the middle of the park was one of the weakest midfield we've had in recent years.

He's better on the wing but we need a higher level of quality in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

2-0 Australia. Boyle adds another. I hope he's jet-lagged come Saturday.

https://streamable.com/3i6sy

Don't worry, there are still Dee's who'll tell you he is sh**e.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cobra said:

2-0 Australia. Boyle adds another. I hope he's jet-lagged come Saturday.

https://streamable.com/3i6sy

Hadn't even took my seat at Easter Road last season when he scored against us.

Walking in to the stand with a very healthy vocal Dundee support as our former player who was deemed not good enough for us scores in the opening minute.

The most Dundee FC thing ever.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16

1 minute ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Hadn't even took my seat at Easter Road last season when he scored against us.

Was exactly the same , infact just into ground when I heard a huge noise and said "surely that's not hibs scored already"

On 20/11/2018 at 12:44, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Walking in to the stand with a very healthy vocal Dundee support as our former player who was deemed not good enough for us scores in the opening minute.

The most Dundee FC thing ever.

Only thing is, he wasn't good enough for us at that point. I have no idea how folk find it difficult to understand that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Only thing is, he wasn't good enough for us at that point. I have no idea how folk find it difficult to understand that. 

Debatable mate and splits opinion.

He didn't have an end product at the time quite often but you could tell there was a player there.

Ran United absolutely ragged in the cup at Tannadice.. Celtic at Dens. Was good in the promotion winning season too from memory.

Swapping him for Alex Harris who from memory contributed a deflected goal and not a great deal else will always be looked back upon as bad business when you see how Boyles career has progressed, albeit under a top manager.

Old news now anyway. Oh to see Deacon take a game for the first time a year.

• Star Post 1

1 hour ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Because not everyone agrees with that at all.

It was clear that if he could turn his 'on his day' performances into something more consistent then he'd be a real threat to any team and that, for the large part, is exactly what he has done.

Thought it was awful business when we shifted him on and still do.

3 hours ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Debatable mate and splits opinion.

He didn't have an end product at the time quite often but you could tell there was a player there.

Ran United absolutely ragged in the cup at Tannadice.. Celtic at Dens. Was good in the promotion winning season too from memory.

Swapping him for Alex Harris who from memory contributed a deflected goal and not a great deal else will always be looked back upon as bad business when you see how Boyles career has progressed, albeit under a top manager.

Old news now anyway. Oh to see Deacon take a game for the first time a year.

Controversial but....

Boyle was in woeful form at the time and Harris was a definite improvement in the immediate term IMO. Harris could come in and play on both wings and play relatively competent in any system. When Boyle was good, he was great but he was very unreliable and when he was poor, it really destroyed the teams productivity as he couldn't even trap a ball and retain possession.

I think he always had that potential but he really just needed to go down a level to find consistency. Even now at Hibs, he's a player a million miles ahead of where he was but against a good team where Hibs aren't dominant in possession (i.e. the circumstance we're in most of the time), he's usually quite ineffective and struggles a bit. He has developed a huge amount at that though and does seem to be getting better at it as in rpevious campaigns, he wouldn't have gotten on the pitch in those sorts of games apart from as an impact sub.

Hartley should have made moves to tie him up for longer much earlier but when the time come where he was definitely going to leave, I think the move gave us a boost short-term which tells a huge amount. Harris was/is a technical player who could play a system and retain possession when asked and that was worth a lot to us at that time as we needed to grind out results - he was a shitebag who didn't really have the heart to do anything really explosive and establish himself back at this level though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barkblue said:

It was clear that if he could turn his 'on his day' performances into something more consistent then he'd be a real threat to any team and that, for the large part, is exactly what he has done.

He has done that. In a different team. In a different system. 4 years on after going down a level to gain experience.

At that point in time, where we both were - he was nowhere near good enough.

11 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

He has done that. In a different team. In a different system. 4 years on after going down a level to gain experience.

At that point in time, where we both were - he was nowhere near good enough.

All about opinions and I don't agree with that at all. He was one of our most potent options at the time we let him go, but our managers - who have gone on to prove it wasn't a one off, or do nothing else in the game - failed to harness the obvious attributes he had. He hasn't turned into a player in the last few months, he's been good at Hibs since he went there. Funnily enough they play to a system that suits their players. What a crazy notion.

At the level we play at, pace is king and directness is rare. It's hardly taken a tactical genius to harness what was clearly there from the moment he signed at Dens. He still misses too many chances and still has days where his distribution is all over the place, but with the ability he has to find space and drive from deep he gets so many opportunities that he is sure to take/make a few of them.

He made an almost instant impact at Hibs. Sometimes from the bench and sometimes while starting but he's been a pretty consistent performer all that time. Basically giving the guy away was a poor decision at the time and it's proved to be a pretty awful one with hindsight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

He was one of our most potent options at the time we let him go

:huh:

Whether or not I agree/disagree with the rest of your post is pretty irrelevant, as you say - it's all about opinions. I can't however fathom how you possibly come to the conclusion on the part I have quoted.