Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Video Assistant Referees

Cobra

Video assistant referees  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should VAR be introduced for the start of next season in Scotland?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Yes, even just the last couple of weeks there have been loads of key decisions that officials didn't get right.

However, unless the SPFL can ringfence some of the TV income to fund it (ie, the clubs will be paying, by accepting reduced fees), we'll use the excuse that it's not economically viable. They'll need a couple of extra cameras at some grounds, too.

Apparently Neil Doncaster is not a fan. He said recently that "it is not yet clear whether its introduction would enhance the game". He believes that because there have been instances where officials have made mistakes after reviewing replays, that is evidence not to introduce it. How did we end up with this clown in charge?

17 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Apparently Neil Doncaster is not a fan. He said recently that "it is not yet clear whether its introduction would enhance the game". He believes that because there have been instances where officials have made mistakes after reviewing replays, that is evidence not to introduce it. How did we end up with this clown in charge?

Ironically whoever decided that “it’s not yet clear if it would enhance the game” would have had to have used video footage of referees using it and the incidents they are gauging this opinion from! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

No, if it is going to be used like it was for the World Cup. The system was a shambles and although it did help on occasion it would be better to amend the laws. 1 Any jersey pulling automatic foul, 2 any hand ball automatic foul/penalty.3 Assistant referee MUST flag for any offences that he sees.

Go for VAR if they use it the way Rugby uses it where the TMO is a qualified referee and can access the the TV angles to allow both him and the referee to discuss the situation and make a joint decision. Also record all discussion and play back over TV so that spectators can be informed as the process is taking place.

Would also take time keeping away from the ref and have a big clock that everyone can see. American football do it, and so does rugby. play stops when the ball goes out and does not restart until the ball is thrown in etc, same for goal kicks and free kicks etc to take out time wasting as a tactic. Can either make it a big count down to the end of the 90 minutes OR when the 90mins are up the game stays live until the ball either goes out of play or there is some other reason for the play to stop.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Football has become a diving, cheating game where the referee has far too much influence over the result. Teams with bigger support get better decisions from referees IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BCram said:

No, if it is going to be used like it was for the World Cup. The system was a shambles and although it did help on occasion it would be better to amend the laws. 1 Any jersey pulling automatic foul, 2 any hand ball automatic foul/penalty.3 Assistant referee MUST flag for any offences that he sees.

Go for VAR if they use it the way Rugby uses it where the TMO is a qualified referee and can access the the TV angles to allow both him and the referee to discuss the situation and make a joint decision. Also record all discussion and play back over TV so that spectators can be informed as the process is taking place.

Would also take time keeping away from the ref and have a big clock that everyone can see. American football do it, and so does rugby. play stops when the ball goes out and does not restart until the ball is thrown in etc, same for goal kicks and free kicks etc to take out time wasting as a tactic. Can either make it a big count down to the end of the 90 minutes OR when the 90mins are up the game stays live until the ball either goes out of play or there is some other reason for the play to stop.

I fully agree with your opening line Bcram. In the world cup there were three big  penalty decisions  that I felt the referee got wrong despite the use of TV, if the decision is still up to the referee then to me there seems to be no piont.

2 hours ago, BCram said:

On the last part mate, there were studies done to see how much actual time the ball is in play in football and between throw-ins, free kicks, goal kicks, time wasting, subs, injuries etc etc, on average the ball was only in play for around 45 to 60 minutes per game. On that thinking, if we stopped the clock every time the ball wasn't on the park, a 90 minute game could, in theory, end up being something like 160 minutes long (90 minutes, plus 45, of which another 22.5 minutes would need to be added for the ball being out of play again...) Now, I like my football, but whether I want to leave Dens at 6pm (including 15 minutes for half time) for a 3pm kick-off, I'm not so sure. And night games would be just about impossible...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40993250

2 hours ago, barkblue said:

On the last part mate, there were studies done to see how much actual time the ball is in play in football and between throw-ins, free kicks, goal kicks, time wasting, subs, injuries etc etc, on average the ball was only in play for around 45 to 60 minutes per game. On that thinking, if we stopped the clock every time the ball wasn't on the park, a 90 minute game could, in theory, end up being something like 160 minutes long (90 minutes, plus 45, of which another 22.5 minutes would need to be added for the ball being out of play again...) Now, I like my football, but whether I want to leave Dens at 6pm (including 15 minutes for half time) for a 3pm kick-off, I'm not so sure. And night games would be just about impossible...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40993250

Thanks for the info. Didn't realise it was so much. Agree that this would not be practicable.

• Like 1

Initially I was against VAR being introduced. The reason being that it slows the game down. After watching the world cup though I've changed my mind. It added extra excitement to the game and I quite enjoyed it.

It's not going to take away debate over decisions and there will still be mistakes. What it will do though is force referees to think about their decisions properly. Willie Collum is the biggest example of an official who rushes into a decision too quickly. Other referees will be intimidated into giving decisions for the big teams. They might have some doubt but they give the big team the benefit of the doubt for fear being centre of attention in the papers the next day.

Adblock Detected