The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Man of the Match: Hibs (Away, 23 Nov 2018)

Rate this topic

Man Of The Match: Hibs (Away, 23 Nov 2018)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match against Hibs?

Please vote for your man of the match in our 2 -2 draw against Hibs today?

McGowan. He covered a lot of ground today and his link up play with Curran (who I also thought had a decent game) was good to watch at times. However, it was his awareness, experience, commitment and of course the goal that made the difference for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFC1974 said:

McGowan. He covered a lot of ground today and his link up play with Curran (who I also thought had a decent game) was good to watch at times. However, it was his awareness, experience, commitment and of course the goal that made the difference for me. 

That's great to hear. Hopefully he can continue to have that influence now he's back.

How was Ralph today? The boy did well against St Mirren. Would be good to see him maintain that standard. 

19 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

That's great to hear. Hopefully he can continue to have that influence now he's back.

How was Ralph today? The boy did well against St Mirren. Would be good to see him maintain that standard. 

Ralph was also good, his run and cross for Miller’s goal was something that we’ve been sorely lacking this season. I know McCann’s taken pelters for his crap signings this season but on the evidence of the last 2 games, I’ll stick my neck out and say Ralph  is looking like he could become an improvement on Holt. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DFC1974 said:

Ralph was also good, his run and cross for Miller’s goal was something that we’ve been sorely lacking this season. I know McCann’s taken pelters for his crap signings this season but on the evidence of the last 2 games, I’ll stick my neck out and say Ralph  is looking like he could become an improvement on Holt. 

Cheers mate. Good to hear!

Gowser was immense today! But I gave it to Martin Woods as he has added the bit of bite we were missing and think him and Gowser can really get then midfield going and forge a great relationship.

3 hours ago, DFC1974 said:

Glad to hear he had a good game again today. I thought he looked likely to be a decent signing, in his half-game pre-season appearances....good pace, keen to get up the line & get the ball in the box, and had a couple of decent headers on target. Then he said a few things in his first interview that made me think he might be 'too conscious' about the club history & unnecessarily nervous about the step-up....and then he produced that exceptionally nervous/confidence-sapping half hour against Dunfermline, which earned him some 'write-off' reviews. 

We really could do with Ralph & Miller (C) forming a sound, reliable, partnership down our left side, if they remain fit.   

Yes McGowan was excellent. Hardly lost the ball and link up play was great. Plus cool finish for the goal. Always gives 100%.

Curran was excellent too. Ran his socks off and tracked back well too. At one point sprinted half the pitch to cover a Hibs attack on the left.

Thought Calvin Miller played well too until he tried on trick too far and forgot to take the ball with him.

O'Dea and Kusunga were pretty solid. Hamilton looked a bit shaky at times.

Kamara his usual slick self.

We dominated the possession in the first half but ended up 2 down. Could have defended better.

4 5 1 looks like a good formation for us.

We need more edge in the final 3rd...as usual play can often break down a bit as the goals come nearer. Wingers in midfield help so much! At last the demise of narrow through the middle stuff.

We are still passing the ball wall so with the increased fitness work and a more direct style with width we should be OK. Also all the players yesterday put in a shift. We don't look like a bottom of the league side.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Glad to hear he had a good game again today. I thought he looked likely to be a decent signing, in his half-game pre-season appearances....good pace, keen to get up the line & get the ball in the box, and had a couple of decent headers on target. Then he said a few things in his first interview that made me think he might be 'too conscious' about the club history & unnecessarily nervous about the step-up....and then he produced that exceptionally nervous/confidence-sapping half hour against Dunfermline, which earned him some 'write-off' reviews. 

We really could do with Ralph & Miller (C) forming a sound, reliable, partnership down our left side, if they remain fit.   

Ralph's performance against Dunfermline was certainly poor, but I probably judged him too early. He was left exposed earlier in the season because the midfielders weren't protecting the full backs. He had a good game yesterday and I think he coped well with Boyle, and certainly better than Hibs defence handled Curran. I'd have gone for Curran as MoM, narrowly ahead of Kamara, who was excellent. He seemed to be enjoying the new orders to get himself forward, with Martin Woods doing the dirty work behind him. In the first half he made space just outside the Hibs penalty area with a lovely piece of skill that drew a loud "ooooh!" from the home crowd. There's an old cliché that barracking opposition players is a compliment, but a mass, inadvertent gasp of admiration is the real thing.

Edited by Rumple
  • Star Post 1

20 hours ago, DFC1974 said:

Hopefully this is the case.

Check out what O'Dea says about Ralph in the post match interview.

Good to see the votes spread out which shows what kind of performance it was but surprised I'm the only one who's went for Kenny.

Scored with an excellent finish right before half time which basically saved the game as a contest and worked his socks off in the difficult lone striker role 38 years old.

A striker who can score at this level.

It will never catch on.

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

Ralph's performance against Dunfermline was certainly poor, but I probably judged him too early. He was left exposed earlier in the season because the midfielders weren't protecting the full backs. He had a good game yesterday and I think he coped well with Boyle, and certainly better than Hibs defence handled Curran. I'd have gone for Curran as MoM, narrowly ahead of Kamara, who was excellent. He seemed to be enjoying the new orders to get himself forward, with Martin Woods doing the dirty work behind him. In the first half he made space just outside the Hibs penalty area with a lovely piece of skill that drew a loud "ooooh!" from the home crowd. There's an old cliché that barracking opposition players is a compliment, but a mass, inadvertent gasp of admiration is the real thing.

Gowser, Curran and then Kamara in that order yesterday.