The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Cameron

Genseric Kusunga

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Meekings was one of the first names on the teamsheet when ICT finished third and won the Scottish Cup. If he can stay fit then he can surely do a job for Dundee alongside someone like O'Dea.

I can only go on what he’s done for us and imo he’s had very few solid games since he’s come in. I believe you when you say he was good for ICT and it could be injuries, formation or the fact he’s been asked to do things he can’t do but unfortunately he’s been a poor signing on the evidence so far. 

He  was actually my man of the match on Saturday.

I thought he was very good and strong in the tackle and able to hold the hibs forwards off with his body strength.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wattie Rojas said:

The main problem with meekings is he ball watches while the guy he’s meant to be marking is passing the ball into the net. However he’s also neither dominant, a good passer and often his decision making is poor.

The main problem with Meekings is that he spends most of his time watching the game form the stand.

• Like 3

We need a settled side and formation. The team that's played well in the last 2 games deserves to keep the jerseys. Apart from fitting Kallman back in, once he's fit, or a new attacker, I'd be disappointed if we decided to chop and change again. Kusunga might not be perfect but he's the best option alongside O'Dea right now. It's not that long ago that O'Dea, now back to being considered a stalwart, was said to a liability and finished. Kusunga proved on Saturday that you can recover after a mistake.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

2 hours ago, Harry94 said:

I'm not disputing how bad that mistake was. I'm just saying that the guy has made a few mistakes but previously demonstrated a high level of ability so I think he should be given a proper chance under the new manager to get back to that. I think that moment and the Aberdeen mistake were much worse than the one on Saturday where he got put in a tough spot and his overall performance was very good so hope he's over it. I think he is solid enough and a good middle table centre back but I admit that he might make me look like a right tw*t in the next game of course!

I say that about Meekings too and am hopeful he can be a better player in a settled side with new management and he's someone who I think would have a pretty horrific highlights reel if you viewed it back and in my opinion hasn't been that influential.

I don't think it would be unfair to say that Hartley and McCann both had a very attacking type mindset. Under either manager, it wasn't a surprise to have occasions where we'd go to Ibrox or Celtic Park with 4 attacking players on the pitch (Hartley did become much more refined in this regard but took a few humpings, McCann followed this somewhat with his last trip to Celtic). It worked out brilliantly on it's day and we do have a few fond memories but the biggest casualty was the goals conceded column. When you look at the centre backs we had on paper and compare with some of our league rivals, there isn't a lot in it. My leading theory is that it''s more the case that our structure and something to do with our defensive preparation has been the issue rather than personnel (I don't really think any have been that bad in isolation). McIntyre didn't exactly have a glowing record in this regard at County either but I'm somewhat hopeful that he's maybe a more mature manager who can do it a bit better now.

I suspect the biggest factor in our high goals conceded column so far this season has been the issue with the full backs and that continued into McIntyre's reign so I'd expect some backup there in January.

What concerns me about Kusunga is that his behaviour is erratic under pressure. A couple of seasons ago Julen handed Inverness a lifeline by gifting them two penalties. Last season we saw Waddell lose the plot at key moments during six-pointers against Hamilton and County and this season Kusunga has made a baffling error against a struggling Motherwell team.

In our predicament we really need our centre-backs to keep their heads. Mistakes (like the own goal) are something we have to live but the Angolan really needs to cut out those costly moments of madness if he's going to keep his place in the team. Imagine going into the play-offs wondering what Kunsuga is going to do next. That is a scary thought.

To be fair to the manager though he is short of good alternatives. Inniss and Boyle both let him down against Livi.

Amazingly O'Dea, who was being totally written off by most on here 12 months ago, has emerged as our number one CB. I'm delighted to see that because his attitude is different class and even when he's half-fit or struggling with the manager's system he can do a job for us. You very rarely see him sell a goal as the last man. Kusunga could maybe learn something from the Irishman. 

The General could do little more than he did on Sat at the OG. He stretched for it to head it out and it ended up in the net.

Not a blunder in my book, just unlucky.

For the next 89 mins or so he was very good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neil Cameron said:

I have just been reading his Wikipedia profile. He was in the same Oldham team as Gary Harkins in a amazing game against Peterborough United. The Latics were 3-0 down at half time before reducing the deficit to 3-2. Peterborough then got another making 4-2 but Oldham weren’t finished. 3-4 and in the closing minutes Gary Harkins got the equaliser from the penalty spot and then unbelievably Genseric got the winner in the 96rh minute. Phew....

Kusunga in a defence that concedes four and Gary Harkins scores.........who would believe it :D

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Harold Finch said:

Kusunga in a defence that concedes four and Gary Harkins scores.........who would believe it :D

Hopefully not an omen for the cup tie

• Like 1

In fairness to Kusunga, at the goal on Saturday Kamara had two chances to win the ball and prevent a cross into the box but he stood off the player both times

1 hour ago, Harold Finch said:

In fairness to Kusunga, at the goal on Saturday Kamara had two chances to win the ball and prevent a cross into the box but he stood off the player both times

If Kamara was volunteering this season I'd still think he was taking the p*ss. Less than a minute played at Easter Road and he's not interested in going tight or closing down. He was just as generous to Hearts and Celtic. The sooner we get him out the door the better. We won't stay up with passengers in the middle of the park.

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

If Kamara was volunteering this season I'd still think he was taking the p*ss. Less than a minute played at Easter Road and he's not interested in going tight or closing down. He was just as generous to Hearts and Celtic. The sooner we get him out the door the better. We won't stay up with passengers in the middle of the park.

Seriously, what have you done with Cobra ...? 🤔

• Funny 1

Meekings has been injured or a nervous wreck in his time at Dens. Hasn't shown anything that he's a better defender than Kusunga, albeit in his defence, that was under the last manager who played a style of football most of the centre backs weren't comfortable with.

Kusunga is a very strange player.

He's steady to excellent in 99 percent of his time on the pitch for us but seems to be prone to doing something costly in almost every single game.

Think he's been a touch unfortunate at times tbh.

On 26/11/2018 at 10:21, Cobra said:

His calamitous moments are so damaging we simply can't afford to have him in the team. If he didn't decide to punch the ball against Aberdeen we'd have a point on the board and something to build on early in the season and we'd probably be in a far stronger position in the league. If he wasn't turned inside out by a bounce against Ayr we might have gone through in the cup. If he hadn't cushioned a cross with his a**e to perfectly set up Motherwell's opener at Dens we might well have got a result there. Scoring the earliest own goal in our history at Easter Road is another string to his bow. The comical goals he conceded at Ibrox and the laughable defending for Partick's winner at Dens didn't have serious repercussions so we can forgive him for those blunders.

Yes he can be  a bit calamitous but I think you are exagerating a little bit off the top of my head I'm sure it was ball to hand (admitidly  in a funny place) and the Ayr incident that bounce took out three players. The three games before he came back to centre half we lost 4-0 3-0 5-0 I think that says a little about his ability. The Motherwell goal there were two players who turned there back on the ball. The other I think was InnIss who in my opinion if he played with the same pasion as Ksunga could have prevented 3/4 goals.

3 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

Yes he can be  a bit calamitous but I think you are exagerating a little bit off the top of my head I'm sure it was ball to hand (admitidly  in a funny place) and the Ayr incident that bounce took out three players. The three games before he came back to centre half we lost 4-0 3-0 5-0 I think that says a little about his ability. The Motherwell goal there were two players who turned there back on the ball. The other I think was InnIss who in my opinion if he played with the same pasion as Ksunga could have prevented 3/4 goals.

Having the odd calamity as a defender happens - if you’re lucky , your forwards dig you out by scoring goals - we haven’t so the spotlight shines in individual errors

9 hours ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Having the odd calamity as a defender happens - if you’re lucky , your forwards dig you out by scoring goals - we haven’t so the spotlight shines in individual errors

I agree with you I've said it often (often getting pelters for it) a regular scorer makes a big difference to the whole team.