Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

What Does The Future Hold For Our Club ?

Gedee

Maybe the main (related) question should be, what does the future hold for Scottish Football ?

But making the assumption (at this tme anyway) that Scottish Football will still be here in it's present format, it would be interesting (for me at least)  to hear from others, if they believe, the dreams and ambitions of the BOD matches our own ...... especially maybe some like myself, who can still remember the day at Muirton, when Dundee FC clinched the 61/62 Championship.......and no forgetting, the days leading to it, and the time in Europe.

Time clouds judgement, but for what it is worth, to my mind, those were the days when Dundee FC played quality football, with a team that was probably the envy of, not only the other clubs in that division, but probably many of the clubs in England and Europe.        (No too sound too hurtful ...... But the "ither lot" at that time anyway, were of little consequence)

My feeling is, during that time, and the seasons leading to that, not only were the DFC fans and supporters, fully aware of the long  history and tradition of our club, which was reflected by their loyalty and attendances at the games, this same sense of "belonging" and ambition, was also felt by the players.

But maybe more importantly (imo) by those who were leading Our Club.

I am not looking to do a destroying job, on our present BOD, who I am assuming are doing all they can in a different era, in much different, and more difficult financial  circumstances...........In fact, I'd ask, would any modern BOD of football clubs, with no real pre-connection to a club, ever be able to match and understand, the loyalty and hopes felt by their supporters and families, past and present, towards their club, however ambitious, they may claim, or feel, to be ?

At this time, DFC are in an excellent position, so thanks to them and all concerned for that.

But I would like to think, this is only a start...... a stepping stone to greater things.

There is no real answer to the following question ........ Well I certainly don't have a real answer.

But , even if it only dreaming ............Where do other Dark Blues Fans see our Club in 5/10/20 years time ?

Maybe in 10 years time, we will be the ONLY REAL TEAM in the City.  (Noo there's a challenge for the present Board)

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Gedee- Giving our history from 1975 to 2015 (40 years) of ups, downs, false dawns, admins, disasters, flirtations with Europe, relegations, cup finals and so on - I don't think any Dundee fan could truthfully answer where we'll be in a year or two's time never mind 5, 10 or 20.

Consolidation was the aim this season and it looks like we'll finish mid table so way ahead of target, happy days.

Top 6 would be the aim next season but will be tougher with Hearts plus possibly Rangers or Hibs replacing County, St Mirren and Motherwell.

As to what the future holds for the most unpredictable football club in Scotland over the last 40 years? Your guess is as good as mines. Sorry!

Unless things change at the very top of Scottish Football I can only see a slow lingering decline in standards and crowds.

The cost of the game is far too high, but the clubs have no option but to continually go to the well of fans again and again because other revenue streams are not maintained.

Ideas like improved league sponsorship, summer football, a British cup with the English Championship sides, stadium naming rights along with 365 days a year ground usage must be investigated by all clubs to stop the continual reliance on match day income. For example I thought our tie in with the hockey was a great example of "cross pollenation" however we then went overboard and made our season ticket like a snapfax. However these are the type of ideas which will get more money into clubs which will allow a reduction in gate prices IMO. 

I actually think Scottish football is in a healthier position than it was a few years ago. Clubs are starting to realise (largely down to banks refusing to lend them money) that they have to live within their means. There will always be some clubs that don't do this due to their owners becoming to passionate about the team and getting carried away. That is why I am pleased with the mix FPS bring to Dundee. We have Bill Colvin and Steve Martin who have the club at heart but have the Americans who are strictly business and will purely think with their head.

Until English football has its inevitable collapse once their TV deal stops increasing, Scottish clubs will have to focus on bringing through youth players with a view to selling them on. It is the only way because we simply can't compete with the wages of teams down south. 

The standard of players coming through in recent seasons has improved significantly in recent seasons and I believe this will only get better with the changes Mark Wotte implemented which I think a lot of the younger generation of coaches especially have embraced. For this reason I believe the standard in the SPL will improve.

The biggest worry for me, as Ivan highlighed, is the increased reliance on supporters for clubs income. The price supporters are willing to pay to watch football every week is at its absolute limit. The way things are at the moment it seems the only way for prices to go is up which is what will damage football the most. Not a chance the next generation of supporters will be attracted to Scottish Football unless prices are affordable.

The SFA/SPFL have to lead from the top on this and cap prices clubs are allowed to charge for entry. I would go as far as to say that clubs do not charge under 16s for entry. Its the only way to maximise the number of people who will become loyal to the club. If those measures result in teams only being able to sign 16 players instead of the 20-25 that get signed at the moment then so be it. We all saw the lack of injuries during the 25 point season when players felt they had to play.

The SFA/SPFL also needs a complete reshuffle at the top. There are definitely sponsers out there who would support the league but thats not going to happen when the people in charge are talking the game down themselves. We need a shift away from the mentality that the Old Firm are the be all and end all of Scottish football. I actually think it would be good for the game if Rangers end up losing fans for good. More fans might start supporting their local team instead.

As for the future of Dundee I would not want to predict. When we start to think we are doing well that is when we have a collapse. The one thing for sure though is that the two Dundee clubs will never be amalgamated. Nobody in the City would support it. See Inverness for an example of that

Amalgamated within 20 years, IMO.

Hi DeiDonum .... Thanks for your response.  But if you do mean the two City Clubs amalgamating, I am sure in my own mind that would never happen.

If that wis the only road to success, on the basis Dundee cannot support properly/financially, two top successive clubs ........ then I guess the only answer is, we better make sure we are the top club in the city .....and start planning now, how we can put "the ither lot" oot o' business :)

Gedee- Giving our history from 1975 to 2015 (40 years) of ups, downs, false dawns, admins, disasters, flirtations with Europe, relegations, cup finals and so on - I don't think any Dundee fan could truthfully answer where we'll be in a year or two's time never mind 5, 10 or 20.

Consolidation was the aim this season and it looks like we'll finish mid table so way ahead of target, happy days.

Top 6 would be the aim next season but will be tougher with Hearts plus possibly Rangers or Hibs replacing County, St Mirren and Motherwell.

As to what the future holds for the most unpredictable football club in Scotland over the last 40 years? Your guess is as good as mines. Sorry!

Hello Perth Road Dee ...... Thank you for your detailed response.

There is little in there to disagree with ......and I do agree, the 20 year stretch, was a big ask, considering even from week to week, I am never sure quite where we are, or what plans are in place.       (But most businesses plan well in advance ....... so who knows, what might be going on)

As already said, consolodation was the aim for this season, so assuming we have achieved that, then full credit, to the BOD, PH, and all the team if we live to fight another season in the Premiership.

And from there, I am looking to establish ourselves there for a long time.

And if things go to plan, grow back once more into a team to be feared and respected amongst the top teams in Scotland.

We are not yet at the stage where we can envisage the demise of "the ither lot" ,but in 10/20 years ?  Who knows? Dreams and ambition !! :)

Unless things change at the very top of Scottish Football I can only see a slow lingering decline in standards and crowds.

The cost of the game is far too high, but the clubs have no option but to continually go to the well of fans again and again because other revenue streams are not maintained.

Ideas like improved league sponsorship, summer football, a British cup with the English Championship sides, stadium naming rights along with 365 days a year ground usage must be investigated by all clubs to stop the continual reliance on match day income. For example I thought our tie in with the hockey was a great example of "cross pollenation" however we then went overboard and made our season ticket like a snapfax. However these are the type of ideas which will get more money into clubs which will allow a reduction in gate prices IMO. 

Hello Ivan ........ Thank you also for your detailed post.

You will have noted from my own opening sentence, certainly I believe as well, the progress of any club in Scottish Football will be governed by the success or failure of the football in our country as a whole.

And my personal view is similiar to your own ........ I do believe in general most clubs are failing and are battling to survive against what seems to be diminishing crowds ...... and I do believe as well that any idea of icreasing admissin costs to cover the loss of income, is definitely doomed to fail.

I think however Dundee FC may be in a better position than many other clubs, because, although I am realistic enough to know, the crowds I saw at Dens Park are never going to return, I stll believe there is the potential to increase our fan base to decent numbers, if the right plans are in place.

Dundee FC fans are screaming for success ..... and if we can do that consistently,the lads and lasses will turn up.

Adblock Detected