The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

One Dee

Rate this topic

If you could take one player (in their prime at Dens) from your time watching the Dee to play in our current team, who would it be?

I think I'd go for Gav Rae. What an engine he had on him. He's maybe not the most loved Dundee player of all time but he had a massive influence on games.

6 minutes ago, Valentke said:

Big Rab - stop leaking goals is our priority 

Good shout. I remember we signed him from Livi and I immediately felt he was the best keeper I'd seen in my lifetime. I'd never known a keeper to dominate his goal before. I was massively impressed.

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Jim Duffy every day of the week.

I was a winger myself and only really cared about Dundee's attack growing up but you couldn't help but be impressed by Duffy. What a presence he had.

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

Good shout. I remember we signed him from Livi and I immediately he felt he was the best keeper I'd seen in my lifetime. I'd never known a keeper to dominate his goal before. I was massively impressed.

We paid £100k and he was only part-time back then, combining brick laying and playing.

I was a winger myself and only really cared about Dundee's attack growing up but you couldn't help but be impressed by Duffy. What a presence he had.

My Dundee hero, boys like Coyne & Wright got the headlines but Duffy was the star for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We paid £100k and he was only part-time back then, combining brick laying and playing.

So he was part-time when he was named Scotland's Player of the Year? Surely Morton were full-time in the old Premier League.

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

My Dundee hero, boys like Coyne & Wright got the headlines but Duffy was the star for me.

He was a colossus. I remember the roar when he delivered a perfect crunching tackle at the start of a game against the likes of Sturrock or McGarvey to let them know they were in for a tough afternoon. Must have been a nightmare to play against.

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

So he was part-time when he was named Scotland's Player of the Year? Surely Morton were full-time in the old Premier League.

You've got the posts mixed up, my post was in reference to yours about Rab Douglas.

• Love 1

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

You've got the posts mixed up, my post was in reference to yours about Rab Douglas.

Oh I see. Got you.

What a fantastic signing Rab was. He oozed class from his very first game. I'm glad he made it to the top.

In current situation. Skill, goals and warrior in midfield.

John Brown (or Cammy Fraser).

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 2

I've heard so much about guys like John Duncan, Jocky Scott, Gordon Wallace, etc but they're just names because you never watched them play at Dens.

I watched a Youtube clip a while ago though of Billy Campbell and he was unbelievably good. Made me realise that Dundee used to play on a totally different level.

13 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Oh I see. Got you.

What a fantastic signing Rab was. He oozed class from his very first game. I'm glad he made it to the top.

Not exactly the way I remember his first game mate! I remember him having a nightmare. Can vaguely remember him being very poor at dealing with crosses. After that though he was immense for us

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Billy Campbell was a brilliant player, I was so annoyed when he went in a straight swap to Motherwell for Jimmy Wilson 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dblair said:

Not exactly the way I remember his first game mate! I remember him having a nightmare. Can vaguely remember him being very poor at dealing with crosses. After that though he was immense for us

Maybe I missed his debut then mate. I just remember being blown away the first time I saw him play. It's not often I think a new signing is destined to be an international but he was special at the start from what I remember.

First time I watched Rab play was the first time I realised what a huge influence a keeper can have on the team. Geddes,  Carson, Pageaud, etc were decent but Rab was something else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dblair said:

I would agree , I remember thinking well he  was a waste of money , soon changed my mind though 

13 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

We need goals so it would John Duncan for me.

Even the classy Johnnie D on the ground and in the air, would struggle with this lot imo.

That's why I've gone with Bomber (or Cammy F). 

Feck. Can I have Jim Steele as well?. 

An on form John Brown would be a good addition to this team. Dig, ability and goal scoring threat. Wieghorst as well. Duffy when he signed for Knox was brilliant at the back after a few games. Bobby Wilson at right back. What a signing he was. Great defender and excellent on the overlap. Picking one for this side, probably Duffy.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

In current situation. Skill, goals and warrior in midfield.

John Brown (or Cammy Fraser).

I didn't really appreciate what Fraser brought to the team when I first started going to Dens. I just remember the fans loved the guy.

Bomber had a huge impact on big games. Am I right in thinking he was often missing with minor injuries?

27 minutes ago, Cobra said:

He was a colossus. I remember the roar when he delivered a perfect crunching tackle at the start of a game against the likes of Sturrock or McGarvey to let them know they were in for a tough afternoon. Must have been a nightmare to play against.

Can vaguely remember an amazing piece of skill in " that " Hearts game where he flicked the ball over John Robertson and kept perfect control. Would love to see it again. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Billy Pirie was the best poacher in his day, not the quickest but knew where the goal was and rarely missed half chances 

Bomber had a huge impact on big games. Am I right in thinking he was often missing with minor injuries?

Seem to recall he did have injuries later in his DFC career?.