The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
UWTB1893

News:Curran Crosses the Road To Join Dundee

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Basically yes. IMO there should have been a change in approach to contracts after McCann was sacked and Jim Mac should have been made clear of it. The manager will have lots of targets. Many of them will demand high wages and/or long term contracts. If its not financially right for the club then the manager moves onto the next target. 

All of the above is pretty fundamental I would say bud.  Bound to be one or two you lose out on.  What makes you think this isn't the way they do business?

16 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Basically yes. IMO there should have been a change in approach to contracts after McCann was sacked and Jim Mac should have been made clear of it. The manager will have lots of targets. Many of them will demand high wages and/or long term contracts. If its not financially right for the club then the manager moves onto the next target. 

I think that's fair enough come the summer but we are short on time and short on points and we desperately need McIntyre to bring in some trusted lieutenants who will run themselves into the ground for the manager and the jersey to get us out of trouble.

Curran was available and IMO we simply had to make that deal happen.

4 hours ago, Iain T Campbell said:

I remember another 5-3 game against Celtic. I think it was a Scottish cup semi-final replay and it was bucketing at Hampden. Jimmy Johnstone was absolutely unstoppable that night. It was an amazing game of football. I think we had a couple of injuries from the first game.

For the life of me I canna think of that game.  In the 70's it used to p*ss me off the amount of times we drew Celtic in the semi's (72-73 after replay aet 0-3) (73-74 0 - 1) (74-75  0-1again) (76-77  0 - 2).  The game you may be thinking of could be the 0-3 after extra time and a replay, Johnstone got 2 I think.  Imagine getting tay a semi now eh 😉

14 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

The only thing we know is that its a 2 and a half year deal (or maybe 2, we're not even sure of this :lol:) yet we have guys stressing about the signing. We've no idea of his wages/bonuses but lets not little details like that get in the way of people feeling the need to have a strongly held opinion on it. 

If history tells us one thing, its that pretty much every individual involved with DFC will be the worst person on the planet at some point or another. Might as well start early on something we haven't got a clue about instead of waiting to see what the lad is like on the park. 

Jim-Carrey-Thumbs-Up.gif

Personally I’m not trying to knock Curran. I’m happy enough that he’s here and looking forward to seeing what he’s like on the park. From the football side of things alone it is a decent signing.  

I do take an interest in the financial side of DFC too though and, particularly given our history, I don’t think there is anything wrong with people questioning whether the club is currently spending money wisely or if a different approach should be looked at. 

As long as the club continues to make significant losses every year I’ll be worried about how our money is spent. Its all fine whilst we have a rich owner plugging gaps but as we know from the Callum Melville experience, rich owners priorities can change very quickly and its the fans left to pick up the pieces. So fans raising concerns about the types of contracts being handed out I don’t think is overreacting.

19 minutes ago, Attilio said:

All of the above is pretty fundamental I would say bud.  Bound to be one or two you lose out on.  What makes you think this isn't the way they do business?

I’m sure it is the way they do business. Just a difference of opinion between me and the club as to what is financially the right thing to do. 

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I think that's fair enough come the summer but we are short on time and short on points and we desperately need McIntyre to bring in some trusted lieutenants who will run themselves into the ground for the manager and the jersey to get us out of trouble.

Curran was available and IMO we simply had to make that deal happen.

Same could have been said about Shankland in the summer. He was available and we desperately needed that sort of quality up front. It would have been a financial risk to spend £150k on a player because there is a chance it might not work out. We therefore quite rightly looked elsewhere. 

A striker in this window was not an absolute priority IMO. Would have done us no harm to wait and see who else became available. He wasn’t going anywhere and the longer the window went on, the more chance Utd would have looked to come to an arrangement with him to get him off the books. 

14 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Same could have been said about Shankland in the summer. He was available and we desperately needed that sort of quality up front. It would have been a financial risk to spend £150k on a player because there is a chance it might not work out. We therefore quite rightly looked elsewhere. 

A striker in this window was not an absolute priority IMO. Would have done us no harm to wait and see who else became available. He wasn’t going anywhere and the longer the window went on, the more chance Utd would have looked to come to an arrangement with him to get him off the books. 

Why look around when the striker you are after is available though?. You possibly run the risk of missing out on one your targets.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Personally I’m not trying to knock Curran. I’m happy enough that he’s here and looking forward to seeing what he’s like on the park. From the football side of things alone it is a decent signing.  

I do take an interest in the financial side of DFC too though and, particularly given our history, I don’t think there is anything wrong with people questioning whether the club is currently spending money wisely or if a different approach should be looked at. 

As long as the club continues to make significant losses every year I’ll be worried about how our money is spent. Its all fine whilst we have a rich owner plugging gaps but as we know from the Callum Melville experience, rich owners priorities can change very quickly and its the fans left to pick up the pieces. So fans raising concerns about the types of contracts being handed out I don’t think is overreacting.

As do I for exactly the same reasons and I agree with the rest of your post, apart from the last sentence. Yes we could and should have opinions on signings and the aspects of them but when it comes to contracts we know very little other than the length of them. People still lose their sh*t over contracts without knowing all the details like wages and bonuses and somehow manage to call whether its a good or bad signing based on the contract . Say it often enough and it becomes a 'fact'. Apparently Craig Curran wasn't getting a game for United because he's p**h (paraphrasing before you ask me for a direct quote). :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Why look around when the striker you are after is available though?. You possibly run the risk of missing out on one your targets.

Because it would appear he wasn’t available unless he was given a lengthy contract. I doubt any other club was going to come in this window offering Curran the same as we did. 

4 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I honestly thought Charley was gonna be sh**e. I passed Dens on the Friday night about 10.30pm and saw the lights on. I knew immediately that there was a good chance that we were making a signing. In the days before social media I had to wait until the next day to rush out and get a Courier. The billboards confirmed that we had indeed made a signing. Signing Chic Charley for £25k from Dumbarton was like a kick in the stones at the time though. Got that one badly wrong.

Arthur Albiston on the other hand was very much eagerly anticipated but has been my most disappointing Dee signing, probably because I built it up too much. I was expecting an ex-Man Utd, World Cup superstar and ended up with a Leo Sayer lookalike, probably playalike too.

I was still telling my brother Charnley was a sh**e signing when he rattled in a 30 yarder on his home debut (I think).

Loved watching the guy play.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Because it would appear he wasn’t available unless he was given a lengthy contract. I doubt any other club was going to come in this window offering Curran the same as we did. 

Neilson rated Curran. He started him in the last game of 2018. It was conceivable that Neilson would have figured out his best XI and Curran would have been a key part of it.

Giving guys like Nicky Low and Danny Williams three-year deals was poor decision-making from Dundee but giving Curran two and a half years, when he's almost certain to be a key player for Dundee during McIntyre's tenure, was for me the right decision (if the alternative was walking away). Time will tell though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Edin_Dee said:

Is he within budget?. What exactly are the terms of this super duper contract?.🤔

Exactly, nobody knows. He could be our top earner, he could be our lowest earner.

45 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Is he within budget?. What exactly are the terms of this super duper contract?.🤔

Exactly, nobody knows. He could be our top earner, he could be our lowest earner.

He could be a nice little earner, luvvly jubbly. 

AdorableThickIcefish-size_restricted.gif

Being a more open minded sort, I'll wait until 5 minutes into his first game before calling  him a sh1te signing. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Campbell said:

For the life of me I canna think of that game.  In the 70's it used to p*ss me off the amount of times we drew Celtic in the semi's (72-73 after replay aet 0-3) (73-74 0 - 1) (74-75  0-1again) (76-77  0 - 2).  The game you may be thinking of could be the 0-3 after extra time and a replay, Johnstone got 2 I think.  Imagine getting tay a semi now eh 😉

Maybe that is the game I am thinking about. Memory and old age can play tricks. It would be great for us to get past the next round today, never mind a semi-final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Neilson rated Curran. He started him in the last game of 2018. It was conceivable that Neilson would have figured out his best XI and Curran would have been a key part of it.

Giving guys like Nicky Low and Danny Williams three-year deals was poor decision-making from Dundee but giving Curran two and a half years, when he's almost certain to be a key player for Dundee during McIntyre's tenure, was for me the right decision (if the alternative was walking away). Time will tell though.

I don't think Curran has done much since he lost Boyce beside him. County were quite happy to offload him and Utd are the same. JM knows him well so I hope it works out but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iain T Campbell said:

I don't think Curran has done much since he lost Boyce beside him. County were quite happy to offload him and Utd are the same. JM knows him well so I hope it works out but I'm not holding my breath.

Curran let his contract run out at County and when they were relegated he joined United. United were a basketcase until Laszlo and now they have a new manager.

I am really not too concerned about County and United. In the last year or two both have been experiencing very turbulent periods of failure.

McIntyre rates Curran highly and is delighted to have him at Dens so let's wait and see if the manager's faith in this guy is merited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iain T Campbell said:

Hopefully McIntyre sees a partnership between Curran and Kenny Miller that works in a similar way to Curran and Boyce.

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Barkblue said:

Hopefully McIntyre sees a partnership between Curran and Kenny Miller that works in a similar way to Curran and Boyce.

Fingers crossed! 

And arguably miller is a far more prolific striker than Boyce so.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dblair said:

And arguably miller is a far more prolific striker than Boyce so.....

...... expect things to go t*ts up as usual? 

I think our transfer dealings tend to follow a pattern.

First we start off with alleged interest in good players like Shankland, Stewart etc.

We rapdidly then reduce our expectations to guys like a Woods and Curran.

Im not holding my breath that this transfer window will see the required quality being injected into our team, I do live in hope though.

1 hour ago, Spiritof62 said:

I think our transfer dealings tend to follow a pattern.

First we start off with alleged interest in good players like Shankland, Stewart etc.

We rapdidly then reduce our expectations to guys like a Woods and Curran.

Im not holding my breath that this transfer window will see the required quality being injected into our team, I do live in hope though.

To be fair there's loads of names being fired at the manager all the time. Some will be realistic, some will be outwith our budget and some he won't even be interested in. The players themselves might not be interested. We might not even get past an enquiry. You've then got the power of social media and people's ability to pluck names out of thin air. 

We're all desperate for new signings and good ones at that. Signing good players does not necessarily give you a good team though. We can't just go out and sign 11 stars, we've got to work within financial constraints and at least attempt to build something competitive. I'd prefer if we searched for the RIGHT players rather than spunking a large chunk of our dosh on one or two standouts. That appears to be exactly what JM is doing.

• Like 4