The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Scottish Cup

Rate this topic

Scottish Cup  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dundee play a full-strength team in the cup?

• Yes, we want to go all the way
    • No, survival is all that matters
  2. 2. How far do you think Dundee will go?

3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

We were outplayed at Dens and then Clarkson scored a last-minute winner. It's always possible that can happen but it's rare.

Also there's the worry that we'll get battered again. While McCann seemed to relish playing Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts the same can't be said for McIntyre. We're far more likely to roll over than come away with a victory so I'd rather focus on the league.

That six-pointer at Hamilton could potentially define our season and even the next five years. Having our first team players knocking their pan in midweek against Queens and possibly getting injured just for the chance to play a cup tie in Aberdeen doesn't sound like a smart move.

Under McCann we drew with Celtic once. We definitely didn’t beat Aberdeen. And I think we won and drew against Hearts. So 5 points out of 27 against these teams is hardly a good record in my eyes.

Why did he relish playing them?

3 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

Alba will be on that like a tramp on chips.

Yep, viewing figures are well down the list of priorities when it comes to Alba.  I would imagine 99% of the Gaelic speakers in Scotland will be tuning in for that game.  358.

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Cobra said:

We were outplayed at Dens and then Clarkson scored a last-minute winner. It's always possible that can happen but it's rare.

Also there's the worry that we'll get battered again. While McCann seemed to relish playing Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts the same can't be said for McIntyre. We're far more likely to roll over than come away with a victory so I'd rather focus on the league.

That six-pointer at Hamilton could potentially define our season and even the next five years. Having our first team players knocking their pan in midweek against Queens and possibly getting injured just for the chance to play a cup tie in Aberdeen doesn't sound like a smart move.

The day we start putting out weak teams in cup matches like the big clubs in England, will be the day our game has gone up here...

The cup is not for us this season sadly.

To do well in the cup, you need to win games.

Hamilton are the only team in the top two divisions we've beat all season including Ayr, Queens and Dunfermline.

It's nearly bloody February.

Pathetic season.

Having said that, I'll be at Pittodrie no doubt if we somehow win the replay at Palmerston. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ranking Roger said:

Under McCann we drew with Celtic once. We definitely didn’t beat Aberdeen. And I think we won and drew against Hearts. So 5 points out of 27 against these teams is hardly a good record in my eyes.

Why did he relish playing them?

I think McCann liked going up against teams who came out and tried to play football. 4 points of 6 from the two home games v Hearts was a good return. He did lose all four games to Aberdeen but all were by a single goal. Our performance at Pittodrie was excellent but we missed a sitter to win the game and then picked up two freak injuries before their winner. Also we were heading for a well-deserved draw at Dens before Kusunga's moment of madness gifted them a penalty. Against Celtic we conceded a respectable 3 goals in 3 league games and hit the post during our impressive draw at Parkhead.

McIntyre has been very fortunate to only concede 16 goals in the four games against Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen, and that's why I don't think he relishes these big challenges. His strength seems to be McCann's weakness i.e. dealing with limited opposition who are happy to park the bus and scrap for points.

16 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

The day we start putting out weak teams in cup matches like the big clubs in England, will be the day our game has gone up here...

If we get relegated and spend another seven years in the Championship will you console yourself with the fact we played our strongest team in cup games?

Klopp playing a weakened team in the FA Cup was farcical. Dundee doing so in the Scottish Cup when we're bottom of the league, skint and struggling with a threadbare squad would for me be quite sensible, especially when our replay is days before a critical league match and progress means a horribly difficult trip to Pittodrie.

• Like 2

Just now, Cobra said:

If we get relegated and spend another seven years in the Championship will you console yourself with the fact we played our strongest team in cup games?

Klopp playing a weakened team in the FA Cup was farcical. Dundee doing so in the Scottish Cup when we're bottom of the league, skint and struggling with a threadbare squad would for me be quite sensible, especially when our replay is days before a critical league match and progress means a horribly difficult trip to Pittodrie.

Say we play a team of kids and get a 8-0 9-0...what does that say about our club?

Then we lose to Hamilton anyway with a "rested squad"

Play the strongest available team in both matches...

The day we want to lose in cup games is the day to put the ball away.

• Like 6

Got to play strongest side in scottish cup - tbh tho i can see us getting knocked out by QOS

Cobra - playing our best team isnt going to have an effect on the side for a league game , if they cant play 2 games in a week then theres something wrong , we`re not winning games anyway..... i mind reading rubbish on here how the players looked fitter under JM so playing 2 games in a week shouldnt be a problem

Just now, Mr Sensible said:

Say we play a team of kids and get a 8-0 9-0...what does that say about our club?

Agreed

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Kind of how I'm dealing with it.  It's a choice of whether we go out this round or the next round.  May as well not hang around and on to the important matters.

• Like 2

Poor draw for us. Course we don’t get an east fife or thistle or talbot .

2 minutes ago, CC33 said:

Got to play strongest side in scottish cup - tbh tho i can see us getting knocked out by QOS

Cobra - playing our best team isnt going to have an effect on the side for a league game , if they cant play 2 games in a week then theres something wrong , we`re not winning games anyway..... i mind reading rubbish on here how the players looked fitter under JM so playing 2 games in a week shouldnt be a problem

I'd actually argue that we kind of need the match time as well. Need some continuity fast as we're going to have a massive turnover by the end of the month with a lot of new players through the door.

• Star Post 1

1 minute ago, Attilio said:

Kind of how I'm dealing with it.  It's a choice of whether we go out this round or the next round.  May as well not hang around and on to the important matters.

It is a sh*t way of looking at it but yeah, we need to pick our fights at the moment and also, follow the money.

Just now, Mr Sensible said:

Play guys like Parish, Mendy, Madianga, Elton, Kamara, Moussa, Lambert, Kallman, Jefferies and Moore. Also give the new boys Dales and Nelson some game time. They might surprise us and get a win. We can have regular players on the bench if we need to dig in second half. 

I just don't want to lose to Accies and hear McIntyre talking about the boys being tired from their midweek exertions.

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Play guys like Parish, Mendy, Madianga, Elton, Kamara, Moussa, Lambert, Kallman, Jefferies and Moore. Also give the new boys Dales and Nelson some game time. They might surprise us and get a win. We can have regular players on the bench if we need to dig in second half. 

I just don't want to lose to Accies and hear McIntyre talking about the boys being tired from their midweek exertions.

Boys like Mendy, Elton, Madianga and Moussa  are finished with the club...

They put zero effort in training...

FFS a tuesday night in Dumfries with those wage thieves in the team doesnt bear thinking about.

Edited by Mr Sensible

3 minutes ago, Harry94 said:

I'd actually argue that we kind of need the match time as well. Need some continuity fast as we're going to have a massive turnover by the end of the month with a lot of new players through the door.

We could arrange a bounce match in between times to keep our squad match fit.  Could be an idea to arrange it against a team that hates us to make it kind of competitive.  What could possibly happen? 😀

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Mr Sensible said:

FFS a tuesday night in Dumfries with those wage thieves in the team doesnt bear thinking about.

They are professional footballers who are on Dundee's payroll. Surely they'd be up for playing a high-profile first-team game.

I would ask them if they are motivated to play and if the answer is yes then give them a chance to impress. Worst case scenario is they don't perform and we sub them off.

4 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

Don't disbelieve you on this and I have no great beef about seeing any of these players again but has this been confirmed anywhere or by anyone other than the fella that Rev knows?  It's starting to look like one of these stories that just grows arms and legs every time its brought up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

We would he punished by SFA. We did that v Airdrie, lost 7 nil or summat and were fined.

2 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Don't disbelieve you on this and I have no great beef about seeing any of these players again but has this been confirmed anywhere or by anyone other than the fella that Rev knows?  It's starting to look like one of these stories that just grows arms and legs every time its brought up.

If true thy would he entitled to be sacked.

8 minutes ago, Cobra said:

They are professional footballers who are on Dundee's payroll. Surely they'd be up for playing a high-profile first-team game.

I would ask them if they are motivated to play and if the answer is yes then give them a chance to impress. Worst case scenario is they don't perform and we sub them off.

You couldnt sub 5 

6 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

If true thy would he entitled to be sacked.

They basically dont put much effort in...

Not a sackable offence...

Unfortunately

Edited by Mr Sensible

5 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

You couldnt sub 5 

We're not going to have five players downing tools. Moussa always gives 100% for a start.

I just want to see a bit of rotation. McGowan is going to be a key player in the middle on his return to his old club Hamilton (he was the match winner in the game there that saved our season a couple of years back). He needs to be fully rested for a start. O'Dea is another who we need to be 100%. Kenny Miller another.

We've got a squad and we need to use it.

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

We're not going to have five players downing tools. Moussa always gives 100% for a start.

I just want to see a bit of rotation. McGowan is going to be a key player in the middle on his return to his old club Hamilton (he was the match winner in the game there that saved our season a couple of years back). He needs to be fully rested for a start. O'Dea is another who we need to be 100%. Kenny Miller another.

We've got a squad and we need to use it.

We havent got a squad because the utter dross mcann signed like  Mendy,Elton, Moussa  etc arent fit to wear our shirt...

Hopefully Mcgowan is nowhere near our starting line up at Hamilton, cause if he is then we havent made signings we desperately need in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Sensible said:

They basically dont put much effort in...

Not a sackable offence...

Unfortunately

It is in my shop

• Like 2