The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Reports claim that Cardiff's new record £15m signing from Nantes, striker Emiliano Sala has gone missing. Rumours have circulated that a light aircraft, on which he was reportedly onboard, has disappeared over the Channel Islands. He was due to report for training but didn't turn up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1087638930651000832?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Just heard the latest announcement on SSN. Player & pilot only, in a single-engine plane, requested descent from 5,000 to 2,500ft over Guernsey, but no mention of any problems, then it vanished from radar around 8pm. Coastguard vessels/heli searched till 2am but had to stop due to worsening sea conditions & visibility. No mention of search re-starting this morning, but I'd imagine they were out at dawn.

Sala's last whatsapp group message has been played a few times on Sky Sports News, with a translation.

In between talking about being tired, all the things to be arranged, and about looking forward to training next day in Cardiff, he mentions concerns about the plane...

"I'm up in this plane and it feels like it's falling to pieces.....if in an hour & a half you haven't heard from me, I don't know if they are going to send someone to look for me, because they won't find me, but you will know. Dad, I'm scared." 

It sounds like a very unfortunate & unlucky decision to hire a wee direct-flight single-engine charter plane with (apparently) no life-raft, for a flight over water, rather than to travel on scheduled flights & arrive a day later. 

• Sad 1

Apparently the flight was arranged through a Scottish football  agent by the player  himself . 

Edited by Dondeh

The club say they offered to book the player on a commercial player but he insisted on using Willie McKay's tiny chartered plane.

I wouldn't be keen on boarding a single-engine aircraft to cross the Channel in terrible weather.

Apparently it took four attempts to take off.

4 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I doubt they would have wanted it to hit the press like that but I imagine that they've probably sought legal advice and been advised to formally request it. I don't think they are in the wrong - it's a huge amount of money for the club.

The consensus is that insurance will cover it but the onus will likely be on Cardiff to navigate that as technically, they've bought the player. I imagine selling clubs too will have some sort of insurance.but it'd be voided if they weren't pursuing the case themselves.

I'd imagine the emotive word "demanded" might be a media exaggeration, the two clubs seem to have been dealing amicably with the situation, so far.

I'm sure the insurance policies regarding the procedure for this are very explicit about when the cover shifts from seller to buyer & that will presumably be what has prompted Nantes to make this request now. Cardiff (or their insurer) might also have to consider some form of claim, if the AAI find there was anything sub-standard with the plane.

Unfortunate timing though, with the imminent recovery of the plane & either one, or two, bodies.

• Like 1

My dug walking 'brain trust' have been discussing this and we guessed that there must be some sort of insurance that clubs have for players moving or whatever but who knows. Some might have started looking into it if they don't already have 'something'.

Nantes took the action, it's said, because Cardiff cancelled the first payment until they get 'all the facts'. I don't know what facts they don't have now that they might have had before the poor chap (presumably) perished. It is a bit insensitive of Nantes to do this right now, but I can see why they want their money.

4 hours ago, Scottswiss said:

Nantes took the action, it's said, because Cardiff cancelled the first payment until they get 'all the facts'. I don't know what facts they don't have now that they might have had before the poor chap (presumably) perished. It is a bit insensitive of Nantes to do this right now, but I can see why they want their money.

I'd guess Nantes made other transfer commitments on the strength of securing the deal with Cardiff, and they'll have to make those payments.

If Sala signed for Cardiff (& was registered?) before the flight, then the sale is legally concluded & then becomes an insurance claim for Cardiff to make. Unless Nantes had agreed to fund & book the flight, I can't see what legal basis Cardiff could have for not meeting the contractual payment dates, no matter how tragic this whole incident is.

I'd guess Cardiff's insurers would be the ones questioning 'the full facts', as most people are going by the media reports, I suppose. The messages released by Sala's agent seemed to indicate it was them who maybe contracted the plane, through a 3rd party, as I recall. Cardiff won't be happy paying out £5m though, when they've not got the player. 

Isn't it this simple - Cardiff bought the player and the minute the contract was signed he is their player?  No matter what happened later, the deal was done and they should pay according to the deal.  It may look insensitive, but I'd guess Nantes are following the letter of the contract in order to protect themselves - 15m is a lot of money.

3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Isn't it this simple - Cardiff bought the player and the minute the contract was signed he is their player?  No matter what happened later, the deal was done and they should pay according to the deal.  It may look insensitive, but I'd guess Nantes are following the letter of the contract in order to protect themselves - 15m is a lot of money.

Absolutely. They also have a 50% sell on in place with Bordeaux, so they wouldn't only be £15m down, they'd be £22.5m. 

Cardiff have to pay up his deal to his family but I'd assume they've insurance for that. Absolutely no idea about the transfer fee and whether they'd have any insurance on that.

26 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Absolutely. They also have a 50% sell on in place with Bordeaux, so they wouldn't only be £15m down, they'd be £22.5m. 

Cardiff have to pay up his deal to his family but I'd assume they've insurance for that. Absolutely no idea about the transfer fee and whether they'd have any insurance on that.

Didn't know they had to pay up his contract or the sell on, it's a right mess. 

Not surprised that the club have to pay him even though he hasn't kicked a ball. The footballers have it all their own way.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Within the last hour a 64yr old man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in relation to Sala's death.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1141399735997214722?s=20

You need to reread that post Rev 🤣

5 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

You need to reread that post Rev 🤣

Why?. Am I missing something?.🤔