The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Why Sunderland Let the Admiral Jump Ship

Rate this topic

I think his style of play will always induce injury, from the home game against QoS and yesterday you can see he loves to get stuck in. 

You can only presume he trains the same way, if we can keep him fit he could be a big player. I thought as soon as he went off yesterday the tempo dropped and the Motherwell defenders had an easier time of it.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cobra said:

Interesting comments from Jack Ross. Has to be a good sign that he's been forced to explain the decision to fans.

Hopefully his injury troubles are behind him.

---------------------------

“I think for Andrew, he had the injury last season (cruciate knee ligament damage) so when he came in pre-season he was a good bit behind in terms of where I think he needed to be in terms of his fitness levels.

“Although he was involved with us in pre-season he was still way off what we needed him to be at.

“He then picked up that horrible injury at Hartlepool, and that took a long time to sort out properly.

“We were then very much into the nuts and bolts of our season so he had to go out to get some game time (at Darlington). Then you have to weigh it up.

“He’s 21 now, he needs to be playing football and progressing his career. The opportunity there for him was sensible to pursue.

“As a club, you could keep all of your young players because then you take out any risk of anything coming back to bite you. But that doesn’t help those young players and it is selfish of us to do that.

“If I felt he was at a stage where he could come in and really help us as a player, then I would have done that.

“That’s not to say I don’t think he’s a good player, I just think where we’re at, this was the best solution for all parties.

“I think he would agree with that, he’s young but not that young in terms of football.

“I know what his attitude is like and so I know that he’ll go up there to make the most of the opportunity at Dundee.”

It makes sense for Sunderland - I suppose they would have tried to get a wee sell on clause in there, maybe even a first option of a buyback.

12 hours ago, Cobra said:

Interesting comments from Jack Ross. Has to be a good sign that he's been forced to explain the decision to fans.

Hopefully his injury troubles are behind him.

---------------------------

“I think for Andrew, he had the injury last season (cruciate knee ligament damage) so when he came in pre-season he was a good bit behind in terms of where I think he needed to be in terms of his fitness levels.

“Although he was involved with us in pre-season he was still way off what we needed him to be at.

“He then picked up that horrible injury at Hartlepool, and that took a long time to sort out properly.

“We were then very much into the nuts and bolts of our season so he had to go out to get some game time (at Darlington). Then you have to weigh it up.

“He’s 21 now, he needs to be playing football and progressing his career. The opportunity there for him was sensible to pursue.

“As a club, you could keep all of your young players because then you take out any risk of anything coming back to bite you. But that doesn’t help those young players and it is selfish of us to do that.

“If I felt he was at a stage where he could come in and really help us as a player, then I would have done that.

“That’s not to say I don’t think he’s a good player, I just think where we’re at, this was the best solution for all parties.

“I think he would agree with that, he’s young but not that young in terms of football.

“I know what his attitude is like and so I know that he’ll go up there to make the most of the opportunity at Dundee.”

Thanks Cobra for your interesting & informative post (Aren't they always) But also a Snazzy & Eye- Catching Topic Heading.