The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Memorable Cup Replays

Rate this topic

Any stand out for you?

1974 QFinal replay at Dens. 3 nil  win after a 3 all draw at Easter Rd

• Like 6
  • Star Post 2

14 minutes ago, R2Dee2 said:

1974 QFinal replay at Dens. 3 nil  win after a 3 all draw at Easter Rd

Incredible . 30,000 + at Dens. Will never forget  that night. 

• Like 1

Apart from THAT DAY at Muirton Park, this game is undoubtedly my favourite game as a Dundee fan. Fans locked out and we were unstoppable that night against a good Hibs team. 

I was at Dens for the 3 nil game v Hibs still in primary school, remember being really disappointed when the original replay was rained off.   Huge crowd at Dens i clearly remember walking down Mains Road were Gj s is and  could not believe the q at the old turnstiles at Dens Road.     The old man decided to head round to the stand enclosure and we got in  there, it was packed and the old man and i walked round the track a bit to get a better space as there was no way  we were squeezing through the crowds.     

I think it was the season after the Hibs game we played Hearts in a replay in front of another huge crowd 22,000 Dee won 3-2   well at least i think it was a replay defo a midweek game.

The replay at Ibrox were we we won 3-2 around  83 time sticks out, also in the late 80s a 4-1 or 4 nil demolition of East Fife at the old Bayview  after a 2-2 draw at Dens   i remember clearly as well.

Also edit to add did we not have a replay at Dens against StJohnstone either one or two days after a 1-1 draw at Muirton were the original tie was postponed because of bad weather? Seem to recall very little time between the two games. Round about 85/86 season?

Edited by Thegen65
to add
  • Like 2

Yes that game is top of the list even though I wasn't there. Was at the 3-3 but had to work the night of the replay. 3-0 up at halftime. 

3-3 game was on TV, wonder if footage still exists? Never seen it. 

The following year I did get to the 3-2 replay v Hearts at Dens after 1-1 in the first game, thanks to a late Wallace leveller. 

Of course we always then got drawn v Celtic. 

're the Hearts replay 1975 I remember a great game Bobby Robinson scored at least one,the first game we took thousands up the Gorgie Road 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thegen65 said:

I was at Dens for the 3 nil game v Hibs still in primary school, remember being really disappointed when the original replay was rained off.   Huge crowd at Dens i clearly remember walking down Mains Road were Gj s is and  could not believe the q at the old turnstiles at Dens Road.     The old man decided to head round to the stand enclosure and we got in  there, it was packed and the old man and i walked round the track a bit to get a better space as there was no way  we were squeezing through the crowds.     

I think it was the season after the Hibs game we played Hearts in a replay in front of another huge crowd 22,000 Dee won 3-2   well at least i think it was a replay defo a midweek game.

The replay at Ibrox were we we won 3-2 around  83 time sticks out, also in the late 80s a 4-1 or 4 nil demolition of East Fife at the old Bayview  after a 2-2 draw at Dens   i remember clearly as well.

Also edit to add did we not have a replay at Dens against StJohnstone either one or two days after a 1-1 draw at Muirton were the original tie was postponed because of bad weather? Seem to recall very little time between the two games. Round about 85/86 season?

The Ibrox 3-2 was that when we were 2up then 2-2 when Ian Redford (then of Rangers)got sent off and Iain Ferguson scored a fantastic winner about 5 minutes into injury time right in front of the Dee support.

There was a memorable 4-2 win in 1963-4 in our quarter final at Motherwell on our way to the final.There was a big crowd about 26000 almost as much as had been at Dens for the first match The Fir Park match was as brilliant as it can get.The Dens match had been pretty dull.

About 10 years ago we had another great win at Well Great match too.We only had 9 men on the pitch by the end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dondeh said:

Incredible . 30,000 + at Dens. Will never forget  that night. 

Snap one of the all time greats it was played on the Monday night the following week from my memory an unusual night then and now for matches at  Dens 

4 minutes ago, Jojo gunn said:

're the Hearts replay 1975 I remember a great game Bobby Robinson scored at least one,the first game we took thousands up the Gorgie Road 

If I remember right we were a bit lucky in the Gorgie match.Was it Gordon Wallace who scored late on to equalise

3 minutes ago, Jojo gunn said:

Snap one of the all time greats it was played on the Monday night the following week from my memory an unusual night then and now for matches at  Dens 

I think because the Wednesday replay scheduled for the week after the Easter Road match was cancelled due to flooded pitch

4 minutes ago, Dfcman said:

If I remember right we were a bit lucky in the Gorgie match.Was it Gordon Wallace who scored late on to equalise

Can't remember too many Skol Lager tins supped that day 

• Like 1

The Ibrox 3-2 was in 1984 and was my first trip to Ibrox. We had a fantastic run there at that time - won four and drew one of my first five visits.

One that stands out for me is the quarter final replay against Falkirk on the way to the final in 2003. That was a great night.

The Hamilton replay in 2006.

First game was 0-0 at New Douglas Park. The replay was moved to Thursday night and shown live on Sky.

We went 2-0 up in the second half but they brought it back to 2-2. Steven Craig scored the winner in the first minute of extra time, by definitely controlling the ball with his chest and not his hand. 

Unfortunately we would go on to be embarrassed 7-0 by Airdrie the following Saturday (Airdrie declined a request to move the game) and 3-0 by Gretna in the semis. But as a standalone night it was memorable in an otherwise atrocious season. 

I guess for those who were there the Falkirk replay in 2003 will be up there as well. It's a game I missed unfortunately. 

13 hours ago, Dfcman said:

I think because the Wednesday replay scheduled for the week after the Easter Road match was cancelled due to flooded pitch

I seem to remember that the replay on the Monday evening was played after the clocks had changed and it was daylight when the game kicked off. 

I remember reading that hundreds of Hibs fans got into the game late due to traffic congestion at the tolls on the Tay Road Bridge. This was in the days before Friarton Bridge and  the dual carriageway all the way from Edinburgh to Dundee was in operation.

I wrote articles for the club programme in the 90s and did one on the Hibs cup tie over the two games. I still have it typed on paper but would love to know how to transfer that to an e version without re typing it all over again! Any ideas?

Edited by Billy Campbell's Ghost

10 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I wrote articles for the club programme in the 90s and did one on the Hibs cup tie over the two games. I still have it typed on paper but would love to know how to transfer that to an e version without re typing it all over again! Any ideas?

Scan it.

14 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

A number of ways to do it. Average punter way well described in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPf3-MVMdNY

Remember drawing 2 all at the dump after being 2 nil down-think we had a 3rd disallowed as well?

Lost the 3rd replay at Dens when I'm sure Rafferty was sent off for kicking Gallagher in the head 😂