The Dark Blues
Napper

McCann the Pundit

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Barcelona built in on very little outlay, starting with Cruyff and Guardiola. 

The rest of Spain followed suit, won everything and it cost nothing. 

Still, can't play football in Scotland. Doesn't work here. 

And did so with a ginormous fan base, a squad that was never going to be in danger of sliding down the table, never mind relegation and with world renowned managers capable of attracting the best talent to their status symbol club. It maybe didn't cost hundreds of millions (in wages etc, coaching budget and youth system, it maybe did) but it sure wasn't done on Neil McCann's budget.

The other thing all of that bought them was time. Time to scoop up all the best young talent, time to nurture and build a team and time to move that into the first team alongside established pro's. At the level we play at, time is simply something that isn't there.

Interesting to note however, that even at the very top, elite level, not even Pep could replicate it at one of England's currently most successful sides without going out and spending more money that Scottish football will make in a decade. 

3 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

It would be interesting if the likes of Sellick tried it here, they might be able to build a team capable of competing at a decent level in Europe and it cascading down the way at a domestic level (ie nobody else could compete domestically) but it looks a bit of a stretch for a 'wee' team to do it.

Nah mate, it's easy. 😉 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chomp my root said:

It would be interesting if the likes of Sellick tried it here, they might be able to build a team capable of competing at a decent level in Europe and it cascading down the way at a domestic level (ie nobody else could compete domestically) but it looks a bit of a stretch for a 'wee' team to do it.

Therein lay the problem. Celtic (but moreso Rangers) had the perfect opportunity to do it recently. Celtic struggled to win a one horse race signing huddies whilst Rangers signed the old folks home and squandered millions to um, finish nowhere near Celtic. It's Scotland to the core. No foresight, no ambition to see the long game. All that ever matters is here and now. So, so disheartening.

its exactly why the national team is so poor, we teach safety first. We long for a "100%" player, even though they're awful at football. It really gets to me seeing boys at grassroots 8/9/10 year old being abused with "get it oot!" from fathers and 'coaches' alike. It'll never change anytime soon and we'll forever be in the wilderness because of it. (That's only my take on defenders btw, I have a whole other rant from middle to front!) :lol: 

Edited by WeighorstsWang
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Barkblue said:

The other thing all of that bought them was time. Time to scoop up all the best young talent, time to nurture and build a team and time to move that into the first team alongside established pro's. At the level we play at, time is simply something that isn't there.

Interesting to note however, that even at the very top, elite level, not even Pep could replicate it at one of England's currently most successful sides without going out and spending more money that Scottish football will make in a decade. 

Just seen your reply and I can't disagree with a point except one - we don't have time to make it work. One thing we do (and always should have) is time. We are perennial nobodies bouncing from one league to another. We need to try and change something, surely? Maybe it's just me but, I'm sick of it. Going up, going down same old tired merrygoround players. I'd be far more invested if I seen an actual goal to try and change end goal. Even though it would inevitably end in heartbreak when we sold the whole lot for 43 wham bars and an elastic band ball.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Any unemployed manager immediately goes on the BBC. Hartley did it, McCann did it and no doubt Lennon will be next. Its an easy source of recruitment, some may call a lazy signing!

It does seem fact of life Billy ... But if I  were in an employers's position, I'd still be concerned about, my "viewers" reaction.

Firstly (as mentioned) to the new presenter's credibility. And viewers' reaction to me ... Was I taking them as "accepting mugs"?

18 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Just seen your reply and I can't disagree with a point except one - we don't have time to make it work. One thing we do (and always should have) is time. We are perennial nobodies bouncing from one league to another. We need to try and change something, surely? Maybe it's just me but, I'm sick of it. Going up, going down same old tired merrygoround players. I'd be far more invested if I seen an actual goal to try and change end goal. Even though it would inevitably end in heartbreak when we sold the whole lot for 43 wham bars and an elastic band ball.

You'd think so mate wouldn't you?

In reality I'm not so sure though. I agree with you. I'd go with any plan/style/ideology/whatever that could elevate us to consistent over achievers by our standards (top 6 or challenging for Europe, cup wins etc) but the pressures of reality seem to be somewhat different. Owners get itchy when the team doesn't perform well. Gates fall, income falls, relegation brings less sponsorship TV money, season ticket sales etc.

Then fans get angry, call for the manager's head etc and start shouting at board members in the stands etc. Hence it suddenly becomes harder to stay patient. I'm not saying that's right but recent experience would suggest it's how things have played out.

I think the other issue is exactly what we've seen with Stewart, Hemmings, Hendry or Kamara. As soon as a club like us starts to have a few decent, gifted players, they get bigger offers from near and far and are stripped away. That in many ways makes building something at our level basically impossible - especially when, as you say, it'll only take a case of Wham bars and your lacky band ball to prize them away.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to the 'Barca' style, even though it doesn't really float my boat, because I'll watch anything that'll make us successful, but trying it at our level just feels a little unrealistic to me. 

• Like 3

I think your post above sums up our situation very well Barkblue ...

Having big money backing, is not a guarantee of success. But Jings it must help !!

We all know that as soon as we start showing any signs of success & one or two players stand out, then it's only a matter of time before they "move on" And even when they do, we know the likelihood is, they will go to another club, well below their true value ... Aye, well below their true value it appears, ... If it's Rangers that are sniffing around (Ok for the sake of balance I'll add Celtic as weel)

A DFC Manager will know this. And NM certainly must have known this. But putting that aside, in the main, the players he brought into DFC to play the system he was trying to develop, were basically, incapable of doing so. And if truth be told, although I believe he had the intelligence, he lacked the personal experience & the time (& quality players) to expect success persevering with his chosen method for success.

Making mistakes happens to everyone, but continuing to do so, again & again & again, whilst at the same time stubbornly saying something along the lines of..."Look I am right & awe you are wrong" is NOT the best way to be recognised & admired & accepted as a Football Manager or/& Pundit. (Or for anyone for that matter in any area of life)

For awe good qualities I still believe he does have, he still needs more experience, in the lower areas of management.

As well as maybe a bit less "self belief" that his way is the only way. Accept that there are others with more experience

who may have more to offer in the way of advice/support. NM was coming around to this thinking BUT FAR TOO LATE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

I think your post above sums up our situation very well Barkblue ...

Having big money backing, is not a guarantee of success. But Jings it must help !!

We all know that as soon as we start showing any signs of success & one or two players stand out, then it's only a matter of time before they "move on" And even when they do, we know the likelihood is, they will go to another club, well below their true value ... Aye, well below their true value it appears, ... If it's Rangers that are sniffing around (Ok for the sake of balance I'll add Celtic as weel)

A DFC Manager will know this. And NM certainly must have known this. But putting that aside, in the main, the players he brought into DFC to play the system he was trying to develop, were basically, incapable of doing so. And if truth be told, although I believe he had the intelligence, he lacked the personal experience & the time (& quality players) to expect success persevering with his chosen method for success.

Making mistakes happens to everyone, but continuing to do so, again & again & again, whilst at the same time stubbornly saying something along the lines of..."Look I am right & awe you are wrong" is NOT the best way to be recognised & admired & accepted as a Football Manager or/& Pundit. (Or for anyone for that matter in any area of life)

For awe good qualities I still believe he does have, he still needs more experience, in the lower areas of management.

As well as maybe a bit less "self belief" that his way is the only way. Accept that there are others with more experience

who may have more to offer in the way of advice/support. NM was coming around to this thinking BUT FAR TOO LATE.

Gents, Lots of good and not so good things being said about NM, I think that majority of us have a similar thoughts

• Great servant to the club as a player, sacrificed a bigger move to ensure the Dee got a maximum transfer fee in a time of need
  • Helped us stave off relegation last year
  • Came back with a pipe dream without the real budget to make it work, wholly underestimated the task through his inexperience, the Board of Directors have a responsibility in this.

I am sure that NM will be better for the experience, is it time to let this go ???, it is no longer a NM 11 lets get behind the JM 11 and move forward, it is great to see in the press this morning that Admiral Nelson praising the work of Curran on both the physical and verbal support he has given him on the park, sounds like there is a bond building between the group that we haven't seen in the side for a long time, it could be that we are watching the New Hemmings & Stewart. Cmon the Dee's 😘

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Huggs66 said:

Gents, Lots of good and not so good things being said about NM, I think that majority of us have a similar thoughts

• Great servant to the club as a player, sacrificed a bigger move to ensure the Dee got a maximum transfer fee in a time of need
  • Helped us stave off relegation last year
  • Came back with a pipe dream without the real budget to make it work, wholly underestimated the task through his inexperience, the Board of Directors have a responsibility in this.

I am sure that NM will be better for the experience, is it time to let this go ???, it is no longer a NM 11 lets get behind the JM 11 and move forward, it is great to see in the press this morning that Admiral Nelson praising the work of Curran on both the physical and verbal support he has given him on the park, sounds like there is a bond building between the group that we haven't seen in the side for a long time, it could be that we are watching the New Hemmings & Stewart. Cmon the Dee's 😘

Regarding Huggs'your comment "is it time to let it go"... I have said similar myself.

However, although I am guilty of coming back to the  of NM's period with DFC, I try to add some positive balance to some (what I see it) another run of over-top, negative post comments. ... And some even downright insulting & far too personal (imo) .... But of course inevitably, as soon as his name crops up...Then off it goes again.

2 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Regarding Huggs'your comment "is it time to let it go"... I have said similar myself.

However, although I am guilty of coming back to the  of NM's period with DFC, I try to add some positive balance to some (what I see it) another run of over-top, negative post comments. ... And some even downright insulting & far too personal (imo) .... But of course inevitably, as soon as his name crops up...Then off it goes again.

'Haters gonna hate' and all that. Some people need to have their panto baddie. :(

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

'Haters gonna hate' and all that. Some people need to have their panto baddie. :(

We all have our moments ... But if your gonna make a career of it, there's usually only gonna be one loser ....

And it certainly isn't always the target of your venom (That's why a wee bit daftness can go a long, long way) :wacko:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

Chomp / Gedee

What if "We Park It for noo" then at the end of the season, we set up a Kangaroo Court complete wi executioner or the open top bus, depending on which one it is, meh money wull be on the bus. 🚍

Huggs

24 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

Chomp / Gedee

What if "We Park It for noo" then at the end of the season, we set up a Kangaroo Court complete wi executioner or the open top bus, depending on which one it is, meh money wull be on the bus. 🚍

Huggs

Hello again ... Your comment above makes good sense freend. But I'm no' sure I'm ready to commit myself to the "Parking Business" ... (Eh might wantae "sneak-in" again when naebody is looking) :ph34r:

As much as I like to promote my "daft & fun side" on here, I have to say, I feel drawn into the prospect of the "Kangaroo Court ... And Guest Executioner"

I can only speak for myself at this time...But if there is some serious torture involved, I think it would be safe to say...You can also include, Admin John,

Chomp, & possibly the Janny  (LET'S BE HONEST HERE...WHA DISNAE ENJOY A HUMAN SACRIFICE) :excited:... (Will it be PATG event, or tickets only):bouncy:

• Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 03:17, WeighorstsWang said:

Therein lay the problem. Celtic (but moreso Rangers) had the perfect opportunity to do it recently. Celtic struggled to win a one horse race signing huddies whilst Rangers signed the old folks home and squandered millions to um, finish nowhere near Celtic. It's Scotland to the core. No foresight, no ambition to see the long game. All that ever matters is here and now. So, so disheartening.

its exactly why the national team is so poor, we teach safety first. We long for a "100%" player, even though they're awful at football. It really gets to me seeing boys at grassroots 8/9/10 year old being abused with "get it oot!" from fathers and 'coaches' alike. It'll never change anytime soon and we'll forever be in the wilderness because of it. (That's only my take on defenders btw, I have a whole other rant from middle to front!) :lol: 

I think we have seen a massive change in the last generation of so. The players who are starting to establish themselves approaching their mid 20s are more technical than their predecessors. It's not happened over night but with the defenders, for example, the likes of Bates, Hendry, Souttar and McKenna who we've seen coming through have been playing some decent stuff and not just hoofing things in panic. Further up, we've got guys like McGregor, Christie, Fraser, Armstrong etc who also seem to be more technical.

The problem in my view is that to play a particular way, it really needs to be drilled into players for a long time. We play in cold temperatures and sh**e weather conditions, there's naturally an emphasis on a fast game and I think that's something which is going to impact on the players you produce. There has been a lot of investment in all weather pitches and trying to expand professional football down the levels and it's only really been the last few years that we've had a system in place without ripping it up again.

I agree with you about the Old Firm missing a great opportunity in recent years. Barca were in a pretty dire financial position under Rijkaard and struggling to pay wages on time etc. I suspect that's partially why they took a leap of faith in Pep but their big strength was having such an amazing academy that was ingrained in its club ethos and I think it was just a perfect fit. In Scotland, there's only really Hamilton as a team who I think have anything resembling a 'youth culture' in having  a track record of consistently creating players ready for their level

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Hello again ... Your comment above makes good sense freend. But I'm no' sure I'm ready to commit myself to the "Parking Business" ... (Eh might wantae "sneak-in" again when naebody is looking) :ph34r:

As much as I like to promote my "daft & fun side" on here, I have to say, I feel drawn into the prospect of the "Kangaroo Court ... And Guest Executioner"

I can only speak for myself at this time...But if there is some serious torture involved, I think it would be safe to say...You can also include, Admin John,

Chomp, & possibly the Janny  (LET'S BE HONEST HERE...WHA DISNAE ENJOY A HUMAN SACRIFICE) :excited:... (Will it be PATG event, or tickets only):bouncy:

No wicker men though !!!!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harry94 said:

I think we have seen a massive change in the last generation of so. The players who are starting to establish themselves approaching their mid 20s are more technical than their predecessors. It's not happened over night but with the defenders, for example, the likes of Bates, Hendry, Souttar and McKenna who we've seen coming through have been playing some decent stuff and not just hoofing things in panic. Further up, we've got guys like McGregor, Christie, Fraser, Armstrong etc who also seem to be more technical.

The problem in my view is that to play a particular way, it really needs to be drilled into players for a long time. We play in cold temperatures and sh**e weather conditions, there's naturally an emphasis on a fast game and I think that's something which is going to impact on the players you produce. There has been a lot of investment in all weather pitches and trying to expand professional football down the levels and it's only really been the last few years that we've had a system in place without ripping it up again.

I agree with you about the Old Firm missing a great opportunity in recent years. Barca were in a pretty dire financial position under Rijkaard and struggling to pay wages on time etc. I suspect that's partially why they took a leap of faith in Pep but their big strength was having such an amazing academy that was ingrained in its club ethos and I think it was just a perfect fit. In Scotland, there's only really Hamilton as a team who I think have anything resembling a 'youth culture' in having  a track record of consistently creating players ready for their level

Falkirk used to have a pretty decent youth set up but I think they binned it for financial reasons. 

7 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

Got to be honest Chomp, that was the first vision , that appeared in meh heid ... 

The film now be a bit dated, but let's be fair, sacrificial burnings are popular :jawdrop:

38 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

25 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Got to be honest Chomp, that was the first vision , that appeared in meh heid ... 

The film now be a bit dated, but let's be fair, sacrificial burnings are popular :jawdrop:

Jist a pair of Laughing Assassins,  :ph34r:

• Funny 2

54 minutes ago, Gedee said:

And Britt Ekland was no bad!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Billy ... Aye even for the Auld Man here, some of these so-called beauties o' days gone by were a bit "questionable" but she could strike a chord :happyyes:

She certainly got "Oor Mr Edward  Wooda-wooda-wooda-woodword Mannie" in a right old state in one scene !! If I remember right, it was either the

thought of her prancing aboot (maybe naked) in the next room like the she-devil, temptress incarnate, or the ever increasing, haunting music, as his

fevered imagination got richt oot o' hand (He wis rubbin' himself on the wa'' tae feel closer tae her) Obviously he was doomed for the "Fires of Hell"

But it's just that he landed there, a bit sooner than expected when the Islanders took things in hand...The Buy-One-&-Get- One Free Sale in the Local

Coop of Fuel/Firelighters on that particular week Just brought the Island's Annual Festival Human Sacrificial Burning a week or two forward :jawdrop:

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Jist a pair of Laughing Assassins,  :ph34r:

Aye Admin John has got a lot to answer for .... We were two innocent people, (chomp & myself) that day, when we went along at the request of John.

To discuss the possibility of being an important part of the Staff Team on the New DFC Forum he was introducing We both learned a lot that dark day.

It was his eyes that drew us in "JIST LOOK FOR A FEW MOMENTS INTO MY EYES" said John hypnotically AFTER THAT IT ALL WENT KINDA BLANK.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

....just a touch over-dressed, in many of her scenes :)  

• Funny 1

Just now, WoodStein said:

Guess you're right Wood'   But it didnae stop "Yir Man" gettin himsel' in a bit o' a frenzy :excited:

Think I'll hae tae edit previous post.Think eh got his surname wrong. Even eh got excited:chaplin:

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Aye, thank god for the internet.....