The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Rate the Manager: Kilmarnock (Home, 06 Feb 2019)

Rate this topic

How did you rate Jim McIntyre's team selection, substitutions and performance today?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How did you rate Jim McIntyre's team selection, substitutions and performance today?

How did you rate Jim McIntyre's team selection, substitutions and performance today?

2 points, took off forward and put on defender to play for the draw we were worse than ever after that pinned in our own half

1 minute ago, Gblue said:

2 points, took off forward and put on defender to play for the draw we were worse than ever after that pinned in our own half

He got them all wrong tonight. After the three subs we were a much weaker side. Should have left Nelson on and never put O'Dea in Midfield... surely we had better options on the bench to come on then?

Just now, TheDarkBlues said:

He got them all wrong tonight. After the three subs we were a much weaker side. Should have left Nelson on and never put O'Dea in Midfield... surely we had better options on the bench to come on then?

Agree with all you say very strange subs We were right under pressure after these subs came on

We spent the first half pressing the opposition whenever they got the ball. We spent the second half once Curran went off running away from their ball carrier and covering some imaginary area of threat. Absolutely must sort out how to press higher up the pitch. ODea is never the correct subbie for the  Admiral IMO.

Edited by BCram

Correct starting line up,however terrible subs and tactics 2nd half.Lucky not to be 4-2 down by the time we got the pen

• Like 5

Great start but was surprised he took off Curran (unless he was injured) which seemed to have a huge impact. Can sort of see why we went ultra defensive after that, we picked up a point against one of the better teams in the league and at half time looked like we could have got 3. A point is maybe fortunate but they owed us. JM gets a pass from me but not too marks.

Starting lineup fine. Odea is never a midfielder, and when he came on (correct me if I’m wrong) but never once saw him warm up during the game. No athletism to play that role.... like him as a CB however. Nelson sub was far too early in the game. 

Only Jmac thinks DO can do a job in midfield, it’s not the players fault, the game passed him and Gowser by.

I’m so pissed off once again we have a manager making the same mistakes that’s costing us vital points.

• Like 1

For me took Curran  and Nelson off never had a outlet after that. put ourselves under pressure never got out our half.

I marked 4. We would have lost this game with the previous players, he has brought in guys who play their heart out, just what we need in this situation. I believe he had to use subs due injuries and tiredness(Most of the new players were not regular starters). Killie were fitter, the players they signed both tired as well

• Like 2

For me, it was very clear that our legs had gone around the hour mark. The only criticism for me is O'Dea in midfield. A pass was made to him and was slightly astray and he struggled to get to the ball. That is definitely not a role for him.

I'm actually going to applaud JM for realising we couldn't play our pressing game in the 2nd half and when the chances came around we did look dangerous on the counter. I think the moans and groans came from us being so good in the 1st half to being under pressure for most of the 2nd half.

2nd Half - Other than one real hairy moment, where it looked like a bit of a scramble (from my seat in the BC), I thought we were fairly comfortable and managed Killie quite well.

The penalty and Hamilton result is a sickener, but Livi are in the middle of their sticky patch so I'm not too despondent.

5 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

Only Jmac thinks DO can do a job in midfield, it’s not the players fault, the game passed him and Gowser by.

I’m so pissed off once again we have a manager making the same mistakes that’s costing us vital points.

2 minutes ago, Dundeefc93 said:

For me took Curran  and Nelson off never had a outlet after that. put ourselves under pressure never got out our half.

Both comments spot on. It is madness to think that ODea can provide some midfield protection. Done it twice and both times it was a failure. Square peg, round hole thinking still a problem IMO

I actually thought Cammy would have provided better legs in midfield and as good skill as O Dea and McGowan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

I’m going to stick up for JM slightly here 😮, Nelson and Curran has both put in a hell of a shift and were tiring badly, likewise the midfield was starting to be overrun badly and needed fresh legs (I think most of the new players except McGowan and Dales) are not fully match fit and so need more games and fitness training to get up to speed), so I think he did have to make the subs. Bringing Miller on was a no brained to replace one of the front two and going one up top to try and shore up the midfield was maybe the right thing to, it don’t work out, but then again we didn’t lose anything after the subs so maybe JM got it right as we being overrun before the subs were made. Let’s be honest, if Miller scores the penalty then JM would have been getting called a tactical genius, unfortunately for him and us Miller thought a nice wee side footed pen was the way to go!!!

Would have taken Wright off as I thought he faded in second half. They were probably running out of steam after the first half effort.

Got to get Nelson on pitch for 90mins, our best chance of a goal by far. Unlucky not to bag a first half hat trick against a top 4 team.

Got the starting 11 spot on.

Gave us the best 45 minute performance at Dens since the midweek cup derby August 2017.

Made absolutely baffling subs.

Was very lucky not to lose second half.

Fair play to him though, he's made going to Dens interesting again unlike the snooze fest under the last manager.

strange subs that fooked us the second half!! but thought the first half we dominated.

27 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

I actually thought Cammy would have provided better legs in midfield and as good skill as O Dea and McGowan.

I thought we took Curran and Nelson off too early as Dales looked shattered. I’d have put Cammy on for him and tried to keep energy in the team.

Definitely a 5 for that first half, team selection & tactics vindicated by a surprisingly dominant (without having more possession) attacking display, and going in at HT deservedly ahead....and fans happy too!

I guess the subs were due largely to niggling injuries & lack of matches, and it definitely seemed that these caused us to lose control of midfield, but I think Clarke made a few changes that improved them, so maybe not all JM's fault for that.

• Like 1

Maybe JM will come out and explain the substitutions.  Nelson is a laddie that runs his heart out but he hasn't played a lot of games so was probably tired.  The players on the pitch know who is struggling and there will be signals going back and forth to the bench.  I think all the subs must have been due to tiredness but maybe not.  I'd like to hear what the manager has to say before slating him.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mev said:

Maybe JM will come out and explain the substitutions.  Nelson is a laddie that runs his heart out but he hasn't played a lot of games so was probably tired.  The players on the pitch know who is struggling and there will be signals going back and forth to the bench.  I think all the subs must have been due to tiredness but maybe not.  I'd like to hear what the manager has to say before slating him.  

Not sure him coming out and telling the world player X has a niggle or whatever might be for the best. I'd like to know what's going on but I'm not for the manager having to put all this stuff out there. If it's stuff that he thinks he can say then I'm sure it will filter out in Interviews and papers.

10 hours ago, SM1893 said:

For me, it was very clear that our legs had gone around the hour mark. The only criticism for me is O'Dea in midfield. A pass was made to him and was slightly astray and he struggled to get to the ball. That is definitely not a role for him.

I'm actually going to applaud JM for realising we couldn't play our pressing game in the 2nd half and when the chances came around we did look dangerous on the counter. I think the moans and groans came from us being so good in the 1st half to being under pressure for most of the 2nd half.

2nd Half - Other than one real hairy moment, where it looked like a bit of a scramble (from my seat in the BC), I thought we were fairly comfortable and managed Killie quite well.

The penalty and Hamilton result is a sickener, but Livi are in the middle of their sticky patch so I'm not too despondent.

Have only seen the game on TV but have to agree with this. Having read some of the comments on here on the train home last night I had the impression we were back to the McCann type performance and were essentially 100% backs to to the wall but not the way I saw it - looked to cope very well with their second half resurgence. One cleared off the line aside I'm not sure they had that many clear cut chances.

I'm trying to think how it might have been different with McCann's squad and all I can see is maybe Moussa would probably have scored the penalty; unfortunately it would have been to make the score 1 - 5.

Edited by Prince Buster

39 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I'm trying to think how it might have been different with McCann's squad and all I can see is maybe Moussa would probably have scored the penalty; unfortunately it would have been to make the score 1 - 5.

Moussa wouldn't have been able to break with the ball like Miller did to win the penalty in the first place so it would have been 0-5 😜

• Like 1

What was obvious from the substitutions is that Gowser, O' Dea , and Miller are no longer athletic enough for this new team. In fairness to JM he had to see this for himself, after all, half of these guys had never even met a week ago.  What is also obvious is that there is no way back for Jesse Curran in this starting line up . Roll on Livingston with a completely new team.