The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

32 minutes ago, Gedee said:

It's starting to look (imo) JM is now getting a winning team together ...

I think his many years "hand-on" (mixed experience maybe) as a manager, is now coming to the fore.

On top of that his honest reassuring open-style of presentation on camera is good Draws me right in.

But I'm no gonna dwell to much on that aspect of his qualities :happyno: Work hard and Keep it Simple:chaplin:

Good morning Gedee,  firstly would like to say that I think some of us were getting concerned for your well being for a while as there wasn't much coming out from your keyboard....strange thought were running through my head like "has Margaret sewed up the gusset of Gedees long johns and he's in trouble " or perhaps another dive off the shed roof again.....your mind goes into overdrive at times but it's good to see you back on form. I think that most of us were a bit underwhelmed with JM s appointment but most of us have come round to him having seen what he had to work with and how his dealings have been in the Jan window. We are no long being outmuscled on the park and as you say..."work hard and keep it simple " added to win your battles and we will get further up the table.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6
  • Star Post 1

58 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Good morning Mr Chomp, for most of the season I've been sitting at games thinking "what am I doing here" and slowly falling out of love with fitba ....but with the signings in the January window showing a bit of passion like you say and giving us more flair it's renewed my passion for my club. The attendances at away games have reflected what's been happening on the park ...eg 100 odd for QoS to nearly 900 against Hamilton....give us something to get excited about and the fans will turn up........the feel good  factor is on it's way back .

I totally agree, with you, we had to sit through some awful stuff, I suppose what I'm trying to say is McCann at least tried to introduce a different style of football into Scotland, that it patently didn't work is a different issue but onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Good morning Gedee,  firstly would like to say that I think some of us were getting concerned for your well being for a while as there wasn't much coming out from your keyboard....strange thought were running through my head like "has Margaret sewed up the gusset of Gedees long johns and he's in trouble " or perhaps another dive off the shed roof again.....your mind goes into overdrive at times but it's good to see you back on form. I think that most of us were a bit underwhelmed with JM s appointment but most of us have come round to him having seen what he had to work with and how his dealings have been in the Jan window. We are no long being outmuscled on the park and as you say..."work hard and keep it simple " added to win your battles and we will get further up the table.

Hi Janny, I hope ye'e weel freend ...

I can stand the withdrawal of my weekly £5 pocket money. And have now come to (not only accept) but look forward to my Weekly Beatings from Margaret.

But once she starts interfering wi' Meh Long-Life Thermal Long Johns, it then becomes a step too far !! And the thought o' Mrs G. taking liberties aroond my

Double Gusset Area, in truth, it makes me feel quite ill (This might be the reason, my right hand is aye doon my breeks 24/7 tae have a rake aroond meh bits) :excited:

On the DFC/JM/Players front, nane o' us want to jump the gun too early & become over-confident. But the mind-set, more direct & hard work ethic is back:chaplin:

Did notice freend you also are back to regular posting after a wee break as weel. Real Guid to to see you back again And to all members, keep posts coming :wub:

• Funny 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

I totally agree, with you, we had to sit through some awful stuff, I suppose what I'm trying to say is McCann at least tried to introduce a different style of football into Scotland, that it patently didn't work is a different issue but onwards and upwards.

What can be said, Dens Park is now the happy hunting ground for all sides on a losing streak to come to our home and pump us, Hamilton, Ross County and now St Johnstone, opportunities to pull away from the basement fight and get ourselves to safety only to be dragged back into it.

It is good wanting to play fancy football, however not much good if you are working with a rank strike force, even worse when you come up against sides that are prepared to roll up their sleeves and battle and you have a side that struggles to fight sleep.

Sick fed up hearing the rhetoric, the only bonus we are heading towards is being able to play the Dundee Derbies again next season in the championship if we continue with the man at the helm, however we can always say “we looked good going down”

Chomp, above is some of the words I sent to John Burke in an email in March of Last Year, the main reason that I thought JM should have been brought in instead of NM.

JM has pulled a side together that can roll up the sleeves and dig in and also play some good football, the tail of 2 halves against Killie gave us all that insight, I believe we have now got a group of players under a manager that can shape the side to play against any of the sides in the league. Can we get to 10th I believe we can, if not we will have a heel of a side to play against anyone for the playoffs. :excited:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Janny62 said:

Good morning Mr Chomp, for most of the season I've been sitting at games thinking "what am I doing here" and slowly falling out of love with fitba ....but with the signings in the January window showing a bit of passion like you say and giving us more flair it's renewed my passion for my club. The attendances at away games have reflected what's been happening on the park ...eg 100 odd for QoS to nearly 900 against Hamilton....give us something to get excited about and the fans will turn up........the feel good  factor is on it's way back .

I couldn't have put it better.

This is EXACTLY where I was too. Said to a couple of mates earlier this season that I was beginning to look forward to weekends where I wasn't attending games more than the ones I was. That's beginning to turn round the right way again, thankfully.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

What can be said, Dens Park is now the happy hunting ground for all sides on a losing streak to come to our home and pump us, Hamilton, Ross County and now St Johnstone, opportunities to pull away from the basement fight and get ourselves to safety only to be dragged back into it.

It is good wanting to play fancy football, however not much good if you are working with a rank strike force, even worse when you come up against sides that are prepared to roll up their sleeves and battle and you have a side that struggles to fight sleep.

Sick fed up hearing the rhetoric, the only bonus we are heading towards is being able to play the Dundee Derbies again next season in the championship if we continue with the man at the helm, however we can always say “we looked good going down”

Chomp, above is some of the words I sent to John Burke in an email in March of Last Year, the main reason that I thought JM should have been brought in instead of NM.

JM has pulled a side together that can roll up the sleeves and dig in and also play some good football, the tail of 2 halves against Killie gave us all that insight, I believe we have now got a group of players under a manager that can shape the side to play against any of the sides in the league. Can we get to 10th I believe we can, if not we will have a heel of a side to play against anyone for the playoffs. :excited:

Did you ever get a response from John Burke?

I expressed some concerns to the so called the 'Supporter's Liaison Officer' (laughs extremely loudly) who doesn't liaise with fans but will most likely kow tow to the the BoD rather than risk losing his privileges, didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.

Why have this guy in place if he won't liaise? Oh, of course, how silly of me; it ticks a box and fulfills a requirement for our BoD. Maybe I didn't get a reply because John Nelms told him not to send one?

6 hours ago, Chomp my root said:

I'm enjoying the football more now than I did under NM, we're playing with more speed, width and it seems passion and its great to see players running with the ball.

Football evolves and my slight concern is the Scottish game is heading down an evolutionary dead end. I should probably just enjoy what we've got really, it is easier on the eye and we seem to be getting more points so what's not to like.

Football does evolve, but the complete copycat thing is reasonably new. I know that the whole game moved en masse from the 5 forwards of old to a more solid, defensive formation and likewise tactics/fitness/professionalism have moved on hugely over the last three decades but I'm not sure there's been an era before where one man's philosophy has shaped almost everything else. Watch the EPL in any given week and you'll see multi-million pound players make the same stupid mistakes at the back that we were under McCann and all because nearly every team down there is trying to force players blatantly not comfortable with it to play the Pep way. It's quite tragic to me.

On the dead end part, I'm maybe a little different from most in that I've completely given up on European football. The whole thing is skewed towards three or four countries and their teams, so I don't really understand Celtic's (or anyone else's) motivation every season other than to earn more money to spend on another fruitless European campaign. As far as the national team goes, Belgium have proved that you can rebuild while not conforming to type. They are a great team to watch that use the ball well and quickly. The can still hold the ball, but with players like De Bruyne, Edin Hazard or Lukaku, they are really all about direct play at the opposition. We really need to look at a core of five or six young players that we're going to build the national team around and stick with that, playing to their strengths, rather than basically ripping it all apart every second year and changing manager and style. Watching McLeish try and make us play the possession game against Mexico was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen. 

In short, I just want to leave games on a Saturday having been, to some extent, enthused by what I'm watching. Feck the rest of it! 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

18 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Did you ever get a response from John Burke?

I expressed some concerns to the so called the 'Supporter's Liaison Officer' (laughs extremely loudly) who doesn't liaise with fans but will most likely kow tow to the the BoD rather than risk losing his privileges, didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.

Why have this guy in place if he won't liaise? Oh, of course, how silly of me; it ticks a box and fulfills a requirement for our BoD. Maybe I didn't get a reply because John Nelms told him not to send one?

More Often than not I did not get a response, however I did get a couple and on the occasion where I took the reference from the response was "He couldn't Disagree" after that the other responses were definitely on the measured side which suggests he had the leash pulled in. 😯

Only team worth watching in Europe is Liverpool at home because they get wired in and create old fashioned European nights.

55 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

This is EXACTLY where I was too. Said to a couple of mates earlier this season that I was beginning to look forward to weekends where I wasn't attending games more than the ones I was. That's beginning to turn round the right way again, thankfully.

Thing is Barkblue, you find yourself going when sometimes you don't really want to go , it's a habit/passion that's hard to break but you find yourself getting nearer that breaking point of how much more can I suffer ? Hopefully we are turning the corner as you say....makes it a better week at the work as well.

• Star Post 1

I just wanted to see shots on goal, wing play and our lads getting stuck in.

Under nm there were lots of games that we barely had a shot at goal. Combined with defenders clearly uncomfortable with their instructions it really was dreadful to watch.

• Like 5
  • Star Post 1

1 hour ago, Barkblue said:

I was glad to get some weekends back myself (whether through no game or an away game I wasn't attending), it let me do other stuff, especially getting away walking/camping. I was really going out of loyalty and habit than any great joy although I always hoped. The villain of the piece is away and we're a hugely different team.

1 hour ago, Barkblue said:

Football does evolve, but the complete copycat thing is reasonably new. I know that the whole game moved en masse from the 5 forwards of old to a more solid, defensive formation and likewise tactics/fitness/professionalism have moved on hugely over the last three decades but I'm not sure there's been an era before where one man's philosophy has shaped almost everything else. Watch the EPL in any given week and you'll see multi-million pound players make the same stupid mistakes at the back that we were under McCann and all because nearly every team down there is trying to force players blatantly not comfortable with it to play the Pep way. It's quite tragic to me.

On the dead end part, I'm maybe a little different from most in that I've completely given up on European football. The whole thing is skewed towards three or four countries and their teams, so I don't really understand Celtic's (or anyone else's) motivation every season other than to earn more money to spend on another fruitless European campaign. As far as the national team goes, Belgium have proved that you can rebuild while not conforming to type. They are a great team to watch that use the ball well and quickly. The can still hold the ball, but with players like De Bruyne, Edin Hazard or Lukaku, they are really all about direct play at the opposition. We really need to look at a core of five or six young players that we're going to build the national team around and stick with that, playing to their strengths, rather than basically ripping it all apart every second year and changing manager and style. Watching McLeish try and make us play the possession game against Mexico was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen. 

In short, I just want to leave games on a Saturday having been, to some extent, enthused by what I'm watching. Feck the rest of it! 🙂 

Each to their own but I love watching the Barca's of the footballing world and enjoy the Euro nights. My biggest bugbear with football is the cheating and you get that at the games we watch too. Football is no different, it has fashions and right now the 'Pep' style is very in vogue, I like it when its done well and our recent experiment kind of confirms that it really does require the right (and expensive) players and really can't be replicated on a budget. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I just wanted to see shots on goal, wing play and our lads getting stuck in.

Under nm there were lots of games that we barely had a shot at goal. Combined with defenders clearly uncomfortable with their instructions it really was dreadful to watch.

I want to see a team getting beat less often. I want to see a team getting 3 points more often than not. I want to see a team winning at home.

I do not care how that is achieved.

Edited by Dondeh

In order.

1) Win Games

2) 

3)

4)

5)

On 08/02/2019 at 00:48, Mr Sensible said:

Look at the points Livingston have accimulated on there pitch...

7 wins from 12

1 win from 13 away

incredible how its allowed

Wasn't that us who gifted them their away win? 🙄

21 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Wasn't that us who gifted them their away win? 🙄

No mate, we drew nil-nil with them at Dens. Their away win was a 2-0 victory over St Mirren.

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:59, Janny62 said:

The first asto pitches were not great as a lot of them had sand scattered over them which would rip your skin off...present day Astro is miles ahead of what was on offer years ago eg..taking a stud and the thickness of the pile and using the pellets to cushion the surface made a difference. As you probably gather that I'm a fan of the surface , I never had a problem with my joints (silky football was the order of the day in my playing days) ....only issue with the pellets was that they ended up over the carpet when you took your trainers off. Whilst I've done my best to defend AstroTurf I would say  that there is no doubt grass is preferable.

Bottom line is Its SH*%E ..

It should be banned and the stats don't lie. Look at Livingstone that is NO coincidence the points they have picked up at home this season .

Its horrible to play on , the huge majority of players and managers don't like it , players run a higher risk of injury and it hands an unfair advantage to those who have it . 

There is a reason most PROPER leagues don't have many clubs, if any at all , that have it but being the joke of a set up we are in Scotland our powers that be allowed it .

If clubs cant afford the basics as in a grass pitch then I'm afraid they should simply be told they will need to find a way or wont be allowed to compete I the league and I'm pretty sure the grass pitches would be reinstalled . 

• Star Post 3

Sunderland held at home by Accrington Stanley tonight. That's 7 draws from 9 games. Promotion is in doubt and their fans are wondering why they let a quality striker like Nelson join the Dee.

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

Sunderland held at home by Accrington Stanley tonight. That's 7 draws from 9 games. Promotion is in doubt and their fans are wondering why they let a quality striker like Nelson join the Dee.

Maybe Jack Ross is leaking the "cream of the crop" to...His Favourite Scottish Club.

It's the "Twa Irons in the Fire System".... If it all goes pear shaped for JM & JR doon-by

and he gets (& accepts) the call from DFC ... He will be ready to hit the ground running.

Maybe even be thinking aboot the Ross County Management Style...Jack/Jim Pairing:chaplin:

• Like 2

On 11/02/2019 at 08:33, DBDU said:

Bottom line is Its SH*%E ..

It should be banned and the stats don't lie. Look at Livingstone that is NO coincidence the points they have picked up at home this season .

Its horrible to play on , the huge majority of players and managers don't like it , players run a higher risk of injury and it hands an unfair advantage to those who have it . 

There is a reason most PROPER leagues don't have many clubs, if any at all , that have it but being the joke of a set up we are in Scotland our powers that be allowed it .

If clubs cant afford the basics as in a grass pitch then I'm afraid they should simply be told they will need to find a way or wont be allowed to compete I the league and I'm pretty sure the grass pitches would be reinstalled . 

While I agree with some of what you say, if it’s that bad then why does every major senior team have these facilities at there training grounds? Why do the SFA coaching schools and most clubs youth teams train and play on these pitches?  Players nowadays train and play on these pitches every single week of the year, kids are grown up developing skills on these pitches, when they hit 18 or it comes to match day why are they suddenly frightened of playing on them and start making excuses left right and centre about them. When Rangers or Celtic beat Killie or Livi you never hear anything about the “state of the pitch”, the minute they draw, lose or have an injury they moaning like feck that these pitches are of poor quality.

• Star Post 1

If Sunderland sack Jack they are mugs. They change managers like GeeDee changes his long johns and it gets them further down the leagues. If a club needed stability, or clubs, its Sunderland and Newcastle....the two biggest under acheivers in English football in my lfe time. One FA Cup and one Fairs Cup betweem them since the 1950s.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

If Sunderland sack Jack they are mugs. They change managers like GeeDee changes his long johns and it gets them further down the leagues. If a club needed stability, or clubs, its Sunderland and Newcastle....the two biggest under acheivers in English football in my lfe time. One FA Cup and one Fairs Cup betweem them since the 1950s.

Think Billy'  if "My Margaret"  could persuade me, to change meh Sturdy Auld Long-Johns

(Now aged & grey coloured, & also interspersed, wi' unidentified, unsavoury, coloured stains)

as regular as Sunderland's "newly appointed managers" she'd see that, as an improvement :jawdrop:

However meh freend...Back to reality, "If Sunderland sack Jack they are mugs"...Yir Right:chaplin:

8 hours ago, Bjs said:

While I agree with some of what you say, if it’s that bad then why does every major senior team have these facilities at there training grounds? Why do the SFA coaching schools and most clubs youth teams train and play on these pitches?  Players nowadays train and play on these pitches every single week of the year, kids are grown up developing skills on these pitches, when they hit 18 or it comes to match day why are they suddenly frightened of playing on them and start making excuses left right and centre about them. When Rangers or Celtic beat Killie or Livi you never hear anything about the “state of the pitch”, the minute they draw, lose or have an injury they moaning like feck that these pitches are of poor quality.

Thank you Bjs, my sentiments exactly...I think I found myself defending Astro more than I felt I should have but one thing I was sure of was that for years we all said there wasn't enough facilities for kids training...we now have a generation of kids being brought up playing on it...last time we played livvie, we lost FOUR headed goals...that was nothing to do with the pitch and more to do with poor defending,recently we lost a screamer of a shot from Dobbie at Q of South which was nothing to do with the pitch again but in my opinion was a brilliant strike.We are supposed to have better players but only complain when things don't go our way eg it's an unfair advantage playing on Astro ? I have never had a problem playing on it In my playing days,neither controlling a ball,running on it or even shooting at goal on it so it might be more a reflection on those that don't like it. Just for the record,after today's win...how many folk will come on today and condemn the pitch after today's great win....the pitch is soon forgotten when you get a win......

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Thank you Bjs, my sentiments exactly...I think I found myself defending Astro more than I felt I should have but one thing I was sure of was that for years we all said there wasn't enough facilities for kids training...we now have a generation of kids being brought up playing on it...last time we played livvie, we lost FOUR headed goals...that was nothing to do with the pitch and more to do with poor defending,recently we lost a screamer of a shot from Dobbie at Q of South which was nothing to do with the pitch again but in my opinion was a brilliant strike.We are supposed to have better players but only complain when things don't go our way eg it's an unfair advantage playing on Astro ? I have never had a problem playing on it In my playing days,neither controlling a ball,running on it or even shooting at goal on it so it might be more a reflection on those that don't like it. Just for the record,after today's win...how many folk will come on today and condemn the pitch after today's great win....the pitch is soon forgotten when you get a win......

After about 20 minutes in today I heard a few mutters about the pitch, including a couple of kids sat behind us, for children to be saying it, it must be picked up from others as you'd assume that they played on it. 

I don't know the answer, totally agree that in an ideal world it would be grass but there's a load of reasons why astro can be beneficial for clubs, especially away from the match day. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

After about 20 minutes in today I heard a few mutters about the pitch, including a couple of kids sat behind us, for children to be saying it, it must be picked up from others as you'd assume that they played on it. 

I don't know the answer, totally agree that in an ideal world it would be grass but there's a load of reasons why astro can be beneficial for clubs, especially away from the match day. 

I think the thing is that, from watching that on TV, the ball undoubtedly bounces and reacts differently. Players also seem less sure on it in terms of turning and slipping.

It's not the plastic pitches as such, it's the difference between them and grass and how having less experience/game time on one favours the team who plays on the other a lot of the time.

I remember some teams back in the 70s used to train and Sunday football was played on blaize. Nobody suggested the pro-game should be played on that even though most folk were 'used to playing on it'. 

If there wasn't a revenue stream to be had from plastic none of the top flight teams in Scotland would have it. Simple as that. 

As an aside though, it was interesting when Steve MacLean refused to play on it for St Johnstone but did straight away after his move to Hearts. Either Levien is scarier than Wright, or he saw one team as more important than the other... Maybe it is really only a problem when it suits them?

• Like 1