The Dark Blues
Billy Campbell's Ghost

Dundee V Celtic League Cup Final 1967

Rate this topic

I was there in short trousers  Rangers end looking at the Celtic goals confirmed my memory that we gifted a few nowt changed over the years, big Dandy was a hero these days in my eyes 

48 minutes ago, Jojo gunn said:

I was there in short trousers  Rangers end looking at the Celtic goals confirmed my memory that we gifted a few nowt changed over the years, big Dandy was a hero these days in my eyes 

Mine too, hence the mic name and pic.

• Like 1

My memory of that game is a fight in the rangers end -a big circle formed and steaming weenie waving a bottle above his head.

He threw it and it hit one of the guys I was with and he got carted off on a stretcher to get his head stitched.

6 hours ago, Bobby123 said:

My memory of that game is a fight in the rangers end -a big circle formed and steaming weenie waving a bottle above his head.

He threw it and it hit one of the guys I was with and he got carted off on a stretcher to get his head stitched.

It’s hard to imagine there was once no segregation.

Celtic TV is a good source of old match highlights, unfortunately they invariably end in a Celtic victory ;)  

This was one of the few occasions in the mid 60's-70's when we didn't get them in the semis. You were always under pressure from Stein's teams, and I think that makes the goals we conceded look a bit worse than I recall from being there with the junior supporters club. Every time we looked like we might get on top for a few minutes & draw level, they hit us with another fast break. I recall it as a very open, end-to-end game....what is very noticeable is how often our 'defensive midfield' (ie, Stevie Murray & Alex Stuart) looked up & tried to pick out George McLean with a long pass....trying to pass your way through Celtic's midfield in those years was very hard work.

Yes noticed a few more games leaking onto You Tube recently and as said mostly from OF Sources.Watched a few 1970s Hearts v Dundee and Dundee v Ayr films though.

As for this clip-What a classic and underrated strip that was.

I love my Toffs Retro Version and as stated on another post hopefully the later  "disc badge" version will become available.

Strange to see the keeper picking up the ball after a pass back. Why this rule was changed is beyond me.

Still probably the best game I've ever seen. Was there, wearing my Dundee FC rosette with my Celtic-supporting uncle and cousin in the South Stand amongst the Celtic fans. Convinced even more than 51 years later that their second goal should have been disallowed for a Hughes foul on Doug Houston. Gave them a two-goal lead which we could never quite overhaul.

Memory may be playing tricks but I recall George McLean taking a bow in front of the Celtic fans when he scored his second goal. Don't see it on the video though.

Three of my four favourite all-time Dees are in that team: Billy Campbell, George McLean and Bobby Wilson, the other being Jocky Scott.

I was down at the wall behind the invalid cars with my dad and a few others.

7 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Still probably the best game I've ever seen. Was there, wearing my Dundee FC rosette with my Celtic-supporting uncle and cousin in the South Stand amongst the Celtic fans. Convinced even more than 51 years later that their second goal should have been disallowed for a Hughes foul on Doug Houston. Gave them a two-goal lead which we could never quite overhaul.

Memory may be playing tricks but I recall George McLean taking a bow in front of the Celtic fans when he scored his second goal. Don't see it on the video though.

Three of my four favourite all-time Dees are in that team: Billy Campbell, George McLean and Bobby Wilson, the other being Jocky Scott.

I went one better with a mini  Union Jack flag DUNDEE FC along the middle frightening to think now about it but lived to tell the tale 

19 hours ago, Densparker said:

Strange to see the keeper picking up the ball after a pass back. Why this rule was changed is beyond me.

I seem to recall it was brought in to try and deter over use of pass backs to the keeper. 

I remember that fans used to applaud when the ball was passed back.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 15:05, Den Spark said:

He does make a gesture to them if you watch closely.

6 hours ago, Dondeh said:

I seem to recall it was brought in to try and deter over use of pass backs to the keeper. 

I remember that fans used to applaud when the ball was passed back.

Boo more like

On 12/02/2019 at 13:45, Densparker said:

I think it was introduced to speed up play and also to stop time wasting. 

Some goalkeeprs could not cope with having to immediately kick out a pass back.

Jim Leighton was one who immediately springs to mind. 

42 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Boo more like

Not when I started going see games in the 60's. 

4 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Not when I started going see games in the 60's. 

Was always tradition in my memeory and I started in 60s too. Was seen as negative