Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Minijock

Super Computer League Predictions

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Read in the Scotsman that they have used a super computer to predict the final positions and points for each club in the SPL. They predict we will finish 10th with 29 points, 2 ahead of Hamilton and St Mirren last. Let’s hope they are right but the margin is a lot more than 2 points, too much stress if it goes down to the wire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Minijock said:

Read in the Scotsman that they have used a super computer to predict the final positions and points for each club in the SPL. They predict we will finish 10th with 29 points, 2 ahead of Hamilton and St Mirren last. Let’s hope they are right but the margin is a lot more than 2 points, too much stress if it goes down to the wire. 

If it goes like that, I think that would be too much for most of our members and I think AA and NA meetings, and the psychiatric departments of Ninewells Hospital will be in over drive by the end of the season! 🤣

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They must be updating this, a week ago we were finishing 11th in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the computer have an insight into the January signings and the likelihood of referees making mistakes and players missing penalties?

We're obviously going to avoid the drop based on current form but when teams start treating every game like a cup final results become impossible to predict (even for a super computer) e.g. St Mirren at Aberdeen and Dundee at Hearts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I contact this super computer? 

Ive got a coupon needing to come in on Saturday 600/1 shot 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the computer tell me how badly utd will miss promotion by from the championship?

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cobra said:

Does the computer have an insight into the January signings and the likelihood of referees making mistakes and players missing penalties?

We're obviously going to avoid the drop based on current form but when teams start treating every game like a cup final results become impossible to predict (even for a super computer) e.g. St Mirren at Aberdeen and Dundee at Hearts.

Hope you are right Cobra re. avoiding the drop. Missing penalties would be basically our fault but refereeing cock ups would be a disaster. The other thing the computer has to take into account is the post split fixtures which can't be sorted until the make up of the top/bottom 6 is worked out. If the league ended the 33 games with the current top/bottom six then the number of home/away games would not be a problem with Dundee/St. Mirren/Livi all requiring 2 home and 3 away fixtures and Hamilton/Motherwell/Hibs needing 3  home and 2 away. Our situation in this scenario is that we would be due to play St. Mirren, Hamilton and Livi at home and therefore one of these would have to be switched away. You would think that if the current bottom three are still the same then they would leave their fixtures as is and send us to Livi for a third time, but when does sense prevail in the SPFL and in any case our home record makes such a 'problem' into a strange dilemma. Motherwell/Hibs/St. Johnstone could all be interchangeable as the 6th place without altering matters as they all will require 3 home/2 away. A bigger problem would be if Hearts dropped into the bottom 6 or Livi got into the top 6 then the fixtures would be unbalanced with 4 teams requiring 3 home games resulting in the not common but necessary requirement for a team to end up with 18 home and 20 away games (we are on notice that having had a 20/18 season in the past that we would be due to be the team to have to settle for such a 18/20 season in the future but will in all likelihood be immune from it this season because it would result in us being landed with a 1 home 4 away split and they wouldn't do that in any circumstances and especially so if we were still in danger of the drop). I'm pretty sure Livi will end up bottom 6 and Hearts are likely to stay top 6 so the foregoing is unlikely to happen.

With the run of fixture immediately pre split I can't see us being safe or more or less safe (more or less safe is not something I can rely on after the events of the 2004/5 season when we blew a reasonably safe position to get relegated) before the bottom 6 fixtures start so it will be a nervous end to the season imo with, taking into account the fixture permutations possible as aforementioned, we could theoretically end up back at Livi again on the final day with relegation still a possibility. Having been there in 2005, inside the stadium not on the 'hill' it is something I don't want to flirt with again. I know I'm a pessimistic type but that would be my worst nightmare!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Can the computer tell me how badly utd will miss promotion by from the championship?

tenor.gif?itemid=11275688

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An old computing term - GIGO - garbage in, garbage out, probably fits this story and the Scotsman perfectly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Double Blue said:

An old computing term - GIGO - garbage in, garbage out, probably fits this story and the Scotsman perfectly.

I love when 'Super Computer' gets thrown into these articles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry94 said:

I love when 'Super Computer' gets thrown into these articles.

Me too, this bullshit makes me laugh when I read it.

It is probably a data farm server somewhere, but you don't even need one of those to run the software that would be required for this.

Until it is a server full of Quantum Computers linked with next gen software.... don't even dare call it super! 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry94 said:

I love when 'Super Computer' gets thrown into these articles.

That expression always makes me think of the tennis-court-sized gigantic 'mainframe' computers, with their banks of whirring tapes, in super-cooled basements in the banks & other big corporate headquarters....accessed by 'dumb' terminals, and overnight 'batch' processing of your data.

image.png.bb4391d4d30571271e0639efffdf9eb9.png

In 1983, after several years of mainframe computers, the IBM PC (PC XT model 5160) arrived in the UK, with its 'massive' 640k ram, 4.77mhz processor, 20mb hard drive, and the only genuinely 'floppy' 5.25" discs......and the revolutionary Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet software (Excel's grandad). A godsend for young accountants who were fed up with wide paper spreadsheets, pencil, eraser & wee battery-operated calculators....and a huge leap forward in my working life! (but not working hours)

These cost around $8,000....I think around £2,500 back then....you could buy a new Ford Mustang for that! 

image.png.874a757709785778d174a742078d89ff.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the super computer being used to calculate whether Dundee will avoid the drop. It will remain on stand-by until Friday night and then whirr into action once the final whistle is blown.

Image result for supercomputer

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cobra said:

This is the super computer being used to calculate whether Dundee will avoid the drop. It will remain on stand-by until Friday night and then whirr into action once the final whistle is blown.

Image result for supercomputer

Switch that thing off/ Dundee’s staying up , Dundee’s staying up🎉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

This is the super computer being used to calculate whether Dundee will avoid the drop. It will remain on stand-by until Friday night and then whirr into action once the final whistle is blown.

I suspect we'll all have a pretty good idea, when that whistle blows, if we're avoiding the drop, or not....though maybe we'll need to wait for Saturday's results.

I agree with your earlier point, about current form v the unexpected decisions, mistakes & results. Guesswork is as reliable as a 'super computer' forecast just now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is apparently the latest output from the super computer...

01000100 01110101 01101110 01100100 01100101 01100101 00100000 01010101 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100101 01100100 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01110100 01100101

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cobra said:

This is the super computer being used to calculate whether Dundee will avoid the drop. It will remain on stand-by until Friday night and then whirr into action once the final whistle is blown.

Image result for supercomputer

At least it’s the right colour 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

That expression always makes me think of the tennis-court-sized gigantic 'mainframe' computers, with their banks of whirring tapes, in super-cooled basements in the banks & other big corporate headquarters....accessed by 'dumb' terminals, and overnight 'batch' processing of your data.

image.png.bb4391d4d30571271e0639efffdf9eb9.png

In 1983, after several years of mainframe computers, the IBM PC (PC XT model 5160) arrived in the UK, with its 'massive' 640k ram, 4.77mhz processor, 20mb hard drive, and the only genuinely 'floppy' 5.25" discs......and the revolutionary Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet software (Excel's grandad). A godsend for young accountants who were fed up with wide paper spreadsheets, pencil, eraser & wee battery-operated calculators....and a huge leap forward in my working life! (but not working hours)

These cost around $8,000....I think around £2,500 back then....you could buy a new Ford Mustang for that! 

image.png.874a757709785778d174a742078d89ff.png

 

And this only had 64k to 640k of Ram depending on the model you purchased. That amount of RAM back then would have probably cost more than you are paying for 16 gig worth of RAM now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I suspect we'll all have a pretty good idea, when that whistle blows, if we're avoiding the drop, or not....though maybe we'll need to wait for Saturday's results.

I agree with your earlier point, about current form v the unexpected decisions, mistakes & results. Guesswork is as reliable as a 'super computer' forecast just now. 

Even if we take a 5 nil pumping there will still be a lot of football to be played (not that I'm suggesting it). We're in a 3 way sh1tfight and its possible it will go to the wire. Having said that.... I think we'll pull clear the way we're playing, nothings set in stone though but we seem to have a bit of fire in our bellies. 

Oh and Colossus reckons we'll be tenth, about 4 points short of Livi in 9th.

25015-004-E3542155.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

Oh and Colossus reckons we'll be tenth, about 4 points short of Livi in 9th.

No Political Forum from Colossus then... oh well........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.