The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved

Rate this topic

I can't believe what happened there. The Chelsea keeper Kepa refused to be subbed off so the manager was forced to back down and cancel the substitution. Anyone seen that before?

Never seen it before Cobes but I recall a player called Brian Rankin refused to be subbed for Forfar in the 80's.

Never played for them again.

Probably now a question of who will get punted first, keeper or manager?  Manager of course, the keeper is worth mega bucks and cash is king.

Looked for a minute that Sarri had walked!

He was raging.

Captain really should have stepped in there and got the keeper off. That can't be allowed to happen.  Makes me wonder if there is something else going on behind the managers back with the players

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

Captain really should have stepped in there and got the keeper off. That can't be allowed to happen.  Makes me wonder if there is something else going on behind the managers back with the players

That shows a lack of respect to the manager, he should be our the door regardless of how much he cost or is worth.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

That shows a lack of respect to the manager, he should be our the door regardless of how much he cost or is worth.

Agree completely but this is Chelsea and the EPL we are discussing.

9 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Agree completely but this is Chelsea and the EPL we are discussing.

The most costly, overprices fucked up league in the world. If Sky ever pull out of there, it with all come down like a pack of cards.

14 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

The most costly, overprices fucked up league in the world. If Sky ever pull out of there, it with all come down like a pack of cards.

If Sky/BT pulled out of the Scottish game we'd get a bit of a shock too. I agree the money in Ingerland is obscene though.

22 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

If Sky/BT pulled out of the Scottish game we'd get a bit of a shock too. I agree the money in Ingerland is obscene though.

I did not see or hear anything about the keeper incident But surely a manager is there to manage.

On the Sky/BT Scottish Game Sponsorship, did I not read that Sky won the next new overall contract?

18 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I did not see or hear anything about the keeper incident But surely a manager is there to manage.

On the Sky/BT Scottish Game Sponsorship, did I not read that Sky won the next new overall contract?

I was commenting on the 'if the TV money disappeared' stuff, every league would get a shock, not just England. For better or worse the games Associations have sold their souls to the TV companies.

Player power reigns at Chelsea and has for years. It was up to Abramovich to sort it out years ago but he didnt. 

On a similar vein, did 'Billy big heid' Bain not refuse to come off at half time with McCann never to play for the Dee again? 🤔

The thing is, it either is the case that Sarri has misunderstood, like he's claiming, and it was confusion over thinking the keeper was injured or it was tactical and Sarri is lying.

If it is the latter, I could see why the keeper would be so distraught being taken off a minute to go in a cup final, especially if there wasn't any notice or careful discussion behind the scenes before. The keeper is in the wrong but I could see why he'd be horrified and have that reaction in the emotion of it, he is only human 

People talk about player power but it is important to have management with people skills. If I was a player and saw my keeper put into that position, I'd not be too inspired about my manager doing something like that and I think the embarrassment of Caballero and other players not being too bothered maybe indicates something isn't right there.

Maybe though the comments are indicative that Sarri does recognise he didn't handle it the best and does genuinely feel bad about it himself. It'll be interesting to see future lineups.

I don't buy that it was a misunderstanding. Kepa spent a good few minutes refusing to go to the touchline. Caballero is brilliant at penalties. Kepa must have known that was the main reason for the change before the shoot-out.

By playing it down Sarri will hope to stop the press presenting it as the player humiliating the manager. He can then take the problem in-house.

Given the club had to fork out £70m to fix their Courtois problem they're probably going to want to bury this problem quickly and keep the player happy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I don't buy that it was a misunderstanding. Kepa spent a good few minutes refusing to go to the touchline. Caballero is brilliant at penalties. Kepa must have known that was the main reason for the change before the shoot-out.

By playing it down Sarri will hope to stop the press presenting it as the player humiliating the manager. He can then take the problem in-house.

Given the club had to fork out £70m to fix their Courtois problem they're probably going to want to bury this problem quickly and keep the player happy.

If it's true and it is tactical, I think alarm bells ring if it's not been discussed before hand.

I remember that Van Gaal did it in the World Cup and the whole Dutch camp knew the drill with all the keepers drilled. It's a fair tactic but I think you've got to have everyone involved if you don't want flare ups at the time!

"Given the club had to fork out £70m to fix their Courtois problem they're probably going to want to bury this problem quickly and keep the player happy."

That's it in a nutshell. 

Maybe not player power but ££ power.

Chelsea change their manager regularly but a £70m keeper...that's a different proposition!

I reckon Kepa was feigning injury to waste time and get to penalties, Sarri has seen he's injured and tried to sub him. Only, he's not injured.

Still doesn't allow for what Kepa done. Two weeks wages and a wee while on the bench should suffice.

10 hours ago, Chomp my root said:

I was commenting on the 'if the TV money disappeared' stuff, every league would get a shock, not just England. For better or worse the games Associations have sold their souls to the TV companies.

Aye chomp I realised the point you were making ... And it's right

The money offered for TV rights are a double bladed sword  (maybe 3 bladed, if that's possible) The added income to the Club allows them  get "the best players" within their divisions. But as they say ... There's no sic a thing as a "Free-Lunch". And so the Clubs/Fitba Associations have to dance to the tune of the TV Companies. The third thing, which is maybe the most important thing, is the short & long term effect on attendances to live games.

My last comment in previous post was no more than a basic question .... Have BT now lost their future contract for Scottish Fitba to Sky?

12 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I reckon Kepa was feigning injury to waste time and get to penalties, Sarri has seen he's injured and tried to sub him. Only, he's not injured.

Still doesn't allow for what Kepa done. Two weeks wages and a wee while on the bench should suffice.

If Sarri wanted to sub Kepa because of a supposed injury you wouldn't think he'd be furious at the keeper saying he's fine to continue.

The Italian's body language suggests he wanted to make a tactical sub for the shoot-out.