Jump to content

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Michael Stewart On Sportscene


islaydarkblue

Recommended Posts

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
2 hours ago, Abernethy Dee said:

Yeah and they chose to not talk about Dundee’s goals or the two offside goals during their analysis, usual rubbish!

Yeah, f#cking typical.

Could've ended 5-4 yet not a peep about the 2 contentious offside decisions. 

Amateurs! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Abernethy Dee said:

Yeah and they chose to not talk about Dundee’s goals or the two offside goals during their analysis, usual rubbish!

I do not normally watch Sportscene on a Sunday evening when we have lost because it is too depressing to watch. 

However as I had been at the Hibs game last Friday evening I decided to watch the game to see if the two disallowed goals were really offside or whether the incompetent Main Stand side linesman had got it wrong again. Most linesman put up their flag when the ball reaches the attacking forward rather than checking to see if the forward is in an offside position when the free kick is taken.

With the game having been televised live on BT Sport you would have thought that Messrs Stewart and Thompson would have re run the controversial incidents during the game to decide whether we should have had a penalty in the first half and whether the two disallowed goals were really offside or not. 

I would not be surprised if Ian Maxwell the SFA Chief Executive had last week been in touch with the bosses at BBC Scotland to ask them not to discuss controversial incidents on the Sunday night Sportscene programme which might show his referees and linesmen to be incompetent yet again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Islaydarkblue said:

"..to see if the two disallowed goals were really offside or whether the incompetent Main Stand side linesman had got it wrong again. Most linesman put up their flag when the ball reaches the attacking forward rather than checking to see if the forward is in an offside position when the free kick is taken."

I think it's quite presumptuous to think he's "incompetent". The first offside decision against K. Miller was a tough one because he's at the front of the pack. The linesman doesn't have any reference point to defending players so calls it as offside. It wasn't offside, but in that split-second the linesman made a decision to favour the defending team. This is the norm for officials and it is common practice to favour decisions in this manner if an official is in doubt.

The second goal is offside, so he got that one right.

Unfortunately, while these decisions may smart, they have to be accepted.

The reason linesmen wait until the ball reaches an attacking player is because up until that point, they aren't deemed as an active player. For further information of the offside rule, the FA have a good explanation in relatively simple English - see below.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Cwelshie said:

I think it's quite presumptuous to think he's "incompetent". The first offside decision against K. Miller was a tough one because he's at the front of the pack. The linesman doesn't have any reference point to defending players so calls it as offside. It wasn't offside, but in that split-second the linesman made a decision to favour the defending team. This is the norm for officials and it is common practice to favour decisions in this manner if an official is in doubt.

The second goal is offside, so he got that one right.

Unfortunately, while these decisions may smart, they have to be accepted.

The reason linesmen wait until the ball reaches an attacking player is because up until that point, they aren't deemed as an active player. For further information of the offside rule, the FA have a good explanation in relatively simple English - see below.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Cwelshie.

Your comments give the impression that you are a professional football referee trying to defend members of your fellow profession. 

In my opinion and judging my the howls of disgust from fellow fans sitting in the normally sedate Main Stand at Dens Park the Main Stand side linesman had a shocker of a game and got numerous decisions wrong. He could not even see during the first half that the Hibs player wearing the number 2 shirt was continually stealing at least ten yards every time he took a throw in (shy). 

The match referee John Beaton ‘conveniently’ never saw it happening because he was always looking the other way. 

Yiu would have thought that after it had been announced last Friday that three members of the public had been arrested for sending threatening emails to referee John Beaton that John Beaton would have made sure that he was giving his total attention to any breaches in the laws of the game last Friday evening especially with the game televised live throughout the whole of the UK and possibly other parts of the world. 

No wonder Scottish referees get a bad press. There are hopeless. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Islaydarkblue said:

Will someone at the BBC please tell Michael Stewart one of the pundits on Sportscene that Neil McCann is no longer manager of Dundee Football Club.

Yet another clanger by Michael Stewart. 

 

Only seen it the once last night and deleted the recording on my Sky after I watched it but he said we were still leaking too many goals like we were under McCann. He didn't at any point suggest McCann is still the manager.

Considering he comments on us weekly for Sportscene and BT Sport, I'm sure he's full aware who our manager is and who our former manager was.

Did find it a bit off they didn't show the offside goals.

They're usually pretty good at discussing us in depth and any controversial decisions. It seemed a bit rushed last night. Probably had less time because of the amount of goals scored in the top flight over the weekend plus you've already got 6 goals, a potential penalty, a kick in the head and a knee in the head already discussed by the panel for our game.

I'm one of the seemingly few that likes Sportscene. Watch it every week for our game without fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cwelshie said:

I think it's quite presumptuous to think he's "incompetent". The first offside decision against K. Miller was a tough one because he's at the front of the pack. The linesman doesn't have any reference point to defending players so calls it as offside. It wasn't offside, but in that split-second the linesman made a decision to favour the defending team. This is the norm for officials and it is common practice to favour decisions in this manner if an official is in doubt.

The second goal is offside, so he got that one right.

Unfortunately, while these decisions may smart, they have to be accepted.

The reason linesmen wait until the ball reaches an attacking player is because up until that point, they aren't deemed as an active player. For further information of the offside rule, the FA have a good explanation in relatively simple English - see below.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Only seen it the once last night and deleted the recording on my Sky after I watched it but he said we were still leaking too many goals like we were under McCann. He didn't at any point suggest McCann is still the manager.

Considering he comments on us weekly for Sportscene and BT Sport, I'm sure he's full aware who our manager is and who our former manager was.

Did find it a bit off they didn't show the offside goals.

They're usually pretty good at discussing us in depth and any controversial decisions. It seemed a bit rushed last night. Probably had less time because of the amount of goals scored in the top flight over the weekend plus you've already got 6 goals, a potential penalty, a kick in the head and a knee in the head already discussed by the panel for our game.

I'm one of the seemingly few that likes Sportscene. Watch it every week for our game without fail.

I certainly remember Michael Stewart saying Dundee manager Neil McCann as I immediately set up this topic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Cwelshie ... Appreciated the "link" in your post.

But I am mo' sae sure aboot your final comment.

"For further information of the offside rule, the FA have a good explanation in relatively simple English - see below"

Maybe eh'm tired. Maybe eh'm daft. Maybe eh'm getting auld & dottled. But whitever, eh got lost halfway through :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Hi Cwelshie ... Appreciated the "link" in your post.

But I am mo' sae sure aboot your final comment.

"For further information of the offside rule, the FA have a good explanation in relatively simple English - see below"

Maybe eh'm tired. Maybe eh'm daft. Maybe eh'm getting auld & dottled. But whitever, eh got lost halfway through :wacko:

Meetoo Gedee! Can't remember what the original rule was but I thought it was dead simple. you were offside if there wasn't 2 opponents between you and the goal. didn't think you had to interfering with anything, just being there was enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
×
×
  • Create New...