The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Tantrums and Meltdowns

Rate this topic

With the crazy scenes at Wembley with Kepa refusing to be subbed I was wondering if we'd ever had Dundee players losing the plot on a matchday.

Andy McLaren at Clyde is one that springs to mind. He was sent off three times and kicked a hole in the ref's door if I remember right.

Any others?

Not for the Dee, but in similar vein to Kepa and Sarri, that Dab that just picked up the ball whilst it was in play, as a reaction to Mixu. Also remember another Dab having a heated exchange with mixu whilst leaving the pitch after being subbed (at least he left the pitch though). At the time I think I saw these incidents as being the most blatant public disregards to a manager I'd seen in Scottish football. 

4 hours ago, DFC1974 said:

Not for the Dee, but in similar vein to Kepa and Sarri, that Dab that just picked up the ball whilst it was in play, as a reaction to Mixu. 

Gavin Gunning. Still burst out laughing whenever I see that. 

Still not Dundee ut Darian MacKinnon refused to be substituted last season at Hamilton. 

Probably the biggest meltdown I've heard of in Scotland was Dave Bowman at Forfar. Sent off four times in one go for swearing and handed a 17 match ban. 

Ian Wright has shared a story of his brief time in Scotland. I'd forgotten he was up here for a bit...

Wright said he had not witnessed such an act of "insubordination" before but recalled a similar incident when he played for Celtic during their famous Scottish Cup loss to Inverness Caledonian Thistle in 2000.

"The closest I've seen to that was in the dressing room when [former striker] Mark Viduka refused to play in the second half against Caley," he added.

"I was in the dressing room cowering because I knew if he refused to go on I would be put on by [then manager] John Barnes. It didn't turn out very well."

Not quite the same but I remember Bobby Glennie refusing to leave the pitch with a nasty head knock against the DAB'S at Dens. I'm sure he was dragged off but hurried back on partially patched back up. He repeated this before eventually recieving stitches and had a proper home made turban strapped to his napper before proceeding to head the Fook out of everything that moved.

Not Dee again.

Colombia's Carlos Valderrama lying on the 18-yard line in the 90 or 94 World Cup for about five minutes waiting to have his 'injury' seen to. Can't recall if he finally got up or the ref admitted defeat.

Tommy Gemmell losing the plot in our first game at Dens after winning the League Cup in 1973.  We weren't playing well, probably still half pissed from all the celebrations and Tommy took his anger out on a Motherwell player and hoofed him up the backside right in front of the dugouts.  He was promptly sent off and I think we lost 1-0 .  Not a great way for the fans to celebrate us winning the cup.

41 minutes ago, Mev said:

Tommy Gemmell losing the plot in our first game at Dens after winning the League Cup in 1973.  We weren't playing well, probably still half pissed from all the celebrations and Tommy took his anger out on a Motherwell player and hoofed him up the backside right in front of the dugouts.  He was promptly sent off and I think we lost 1-0 .  Not a great way for the fans to celebrate us winning the cup.

Fortunately, it was considerably 'tamer' than the one he'd delivered during the infamous "Battle Of Montevideo" world club championship final in 1968 :o  

The 'highlights', not sure how far in Gemmell's 'karate kid' performance is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jKohSPSDo   (sorry, can only find the Celtic TV video, with cheesy 'Jonathan Watson' voiceover)

13 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Fortunately, it was considerably 'tamer' than the one he'd delivered during the infamous "Battle Of Montevideo" world club championship final in 1968 :o  

The 'highlights', not sure how far in Gemmell's 'karate kid' performance is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jKohSPSDo   (sorry, can only find the Celtic TV video, with cheesy 'Jonathan Watson' voiceover)

Tommy had previous for doing that sort of thing.  I think he did the same thing in a Scotland match against Germany.  He had some temper.  What he did though was install some grit and determination into a good Dundee side that played some nice football but one that could be easily bullied after Jim Steele left.  Him being captain was probably one of the reasons we won the League Cup in '73.  

• Like 1