The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Consistent Line-ups

Rate this topic

I was looking at the number of starts players have had at each team this season and there's quite a difference between Dundee and the two over-achieving provincial clubs Livi and St Johnstone.

St Johnstone
Games played=28
Number of players who've started 80% of games=8
Tanser 28
Kerr 28
Foster 27
Shaughnessy 26
Clark 25
Kennedy 25
Craig 24
Watt 22

Livi
Games played=27
Number of players who've started 80% of games=7
Kelly 27
Halkett 27
Gallagher 27
Pittman 27
Byrne 26
Lithgow 25
Lawless 22

Dundee
Games played=28
Number of players who've started 80% of games=0

Be good if we could improve on this next season and have at least a couple of ever-present players.

Figures are skewed by the NM/JM replacement and clearout of the formers team. Look at stat from end of Jan to end of season and it will be a lot different.

• Like 2

Totally agree with this approach. We are struggling to find a blend because we are always changing the ingredients, each window and with the recent run of managers that we have had. We've changed managers and that just seems to be a recipe for getting new players rather than giving the existing players tactics that they understand and more importantly are capable of delivering on the pitch.

I'd love to see some emphasis on defending because if we could keep the occasional clean sheet we would pick up a point. You can understand the fixation that we have had trying to find a replacement to the loss of Stewart and Hemmings, but we would be higher up the table if our defending had been better. 

17 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Figures are skewed by the NM/JM replacement and clearout of the formers team. Look at stat from end of Jan to end of season and it will be a lot different.

Agreed.  If it hadn't been for injuries, we would probably have had a very consistent 13 or 14 players since January and this is obviously the way ahead.  We have what resembles a team for the first time in a while but agree with Cobra's assertion that often we are only as good as our weakest link.

19 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Yes, but if you look at last season as a whole only 2 players Kamara and Paul Mcgowan took part in 30 games for the Dee's. ( 80% of 38 games =30 games. Still think there is merit in Cobra's stats.

3 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

That is certainly a contributing factor but I think if you looked from January to December you would see a similar pattern emerging.

Livingston have had three managers in the last nine months but they still have the same defence that played in League One. Our defence changed from last weekend to midweek and it will no doubt change again next week.

When a manager takes over at Livi, St Johnstone or ICT he's asked to work with what he's got. At Dundee he's free to discard the entire squad and start again by signing whoever he wants within budget.

Kenny Miller is a great example of DFC's failure to have any continuity. He was a big-name signing for the club a few months ago, he was wearing the armband, scoring brilliant goals and probably first name on the teamsheet. Now he can't get a game when he's the only fit striker. That kind of thing just wouldn't happen at Livi or St Johnstone.

We seem to sign players on a whim and discard them quickly, meaning we have little chance of building a stable, successful side that reaches cup finals and the top six.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

2 hours ago, Cobra said:

That is certainly a contributing factor but I think if you looked from January to December you would see a similar pattern emerging.

Livingston have had three managers in the last nine months but they still have the same defence that played in League One. Our defence changed from last weekend to midweek and it will no doubt change again next week.

When a manager takes over at Livi, St Johnstone or ICT he's asked to work with what he's got. At Dundee he's free to discard the entire squad and start again by signing whoever he wants within budget.

Kenny Miller is a great example of DFC's failure to have any continuity. He was a big-name signing for the club a few months ago, he was wearing the armband, scoring brilliant goals and probably first name on the teamsheet. Now he can't get a game when he's the only fit striker. That kind of thing just wouldn't happen at Livi or St Johnstone.

We seem to sign players on a whim and discard them quickly, meaning we have little chance of building a stable, successful side that reaches cup finals and the top six.

I suppose it doesn't help when players are written off by the support very, very quickly if they don't hit the ground running, with Ralph being the prime example. If it were me I'd be looking to work in an environment where I felt comfortable and where I'd be given the chance to show what I could do without fear of rejection and ridicule. It's a common occurrence for players to be labelled the worst player in living memory and that can't do anything to build confidence. You really need a thick skin to prosper here and you can go from hero to zero pretty damn quickly. The boy Byrne at Livi, for example, was sent off the other week but I'm pretty sure he'll be welcomed back into the squad with open arms. You get sent off here and are immediately lumbered with the liability tag. Lower, more realistic, expectations might allow us the chance to appreciate things a bit more and lead to encouragement from the stands, even after a mistake. The best of us make them and they're the best way to learn.

• Like 5