The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Gerry Follon (Ex Dundee Player & School Teacher)

Rate this topic

I've added the following link ... in part, mainly for personal reasons (It brought back memories) ... https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/former-dundee-player-gerry- 

Away in the distant past just about the time the photo was taken, I was a pupil at Lawside Academy.

At that time there was the 11+ exams (1952) which decided which school you were bound for, once

you left Primary. Those with an academic skill (small minority) went to  an Academy, whilst the rest

(deemed to be no' sae bright) headed for the "ordinary" Secondary School ... where they could learn

a basic trade (or even waste there time, if they preferred) ...Fae the Joey's it wis either Lawside or the

Johnies.  Weel in sending me to Lawside, eh certainly proved them wrang ... If there was a fault in the

system, I was the ideal example to show this :wacko: I hated the school, I hated the teachers, & thon Nun !!

And I couldnae wait for the first opportunity to get oot o' it as a 15 yr. old Only two teachers stood out

for me Mr Tully And that brilliant teacher Gerry Follon ... A Proper Teacher and a Proper Gentleman.

He taught geography (which definitely was not my subject) yet it was the only class I looked forward to.

"Thanks for the memories":chaplin:

• Like 3

Brought back memories for me as I knew his Son and Daughter very well.

Went to Wembley in 1977 with his Son and other pals to see the England v Scotland game. A game and weekend trip never to be forgotten. 

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dondeh said:

Went to Wembley in 1977 with his Son and other pals to see the England v Scotland game. A game and weekend trip never to be forgotten. 

That post's almost positive.

Well done and keep it up.

• Funny 1

21 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

That post's almost positive.

Well done and keep it up.

Do keep  up. 

3 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

With what?

His posts have been pretty positive the last few days. 😋

• Wowzer 1

11 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Maybe it's an age thing Dondeh, but it's funny how one wee memory can trigger off another one, leading on to something else.

The goods ones, we can hold on to (& even make look better) The less good one, or even bad ones, hopefully we forget wi' the

passing of time. When it comes to details of DFC games. tbh, my head seems to be a bit fuzzy & I am aye amazed at the recall

of others, on the details of games played in the distant, & not so distant past. ... Appreciated your response friend Thank you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

My father was a PE teacher at St Johns from 1951-53. 

I think Islay you may have mentioned this before ... Of course eh wisnae at St. Johns ... (My academic prowess stood oot) :happyno:

Well until got fund oot at Lawside Academy, to be anither

one o' the many frauds/dafties that got through the net :wacko:

Oor PT  teacher there was into the "hands-on approach" He

liked personal contact Tech Drawing guy...was a sadist :sadno:

"Oh those sweet happy childhood school day memories"

Without going into too much details (unless you feel it's okay to do so)

Are there any other posters out there, that have good/bad memories, from days spent at school?

Would think in my case, maist of the teaching staff eh came in contact wi are noo awe deid. (RIP)

As gathered from my own posts above a great deal of my school days were not of the happy kind.

Corporal Punishment was liberally dished oot by many "teachers"  & this was NOT  a gentle tap on

the palm...This was serious stuff !!  I think after the war (although I could be wrong) because of the

greater emphasis on education and the shortage of teaching staff, some unqualified persons were

recruited (fast-tracked) into the teaching profession and I'm sure many were not at all suited to this.

Of course the general attitude in the "Good Auld Days" was ..."Spare the Rod & Spoil the Child" :chin:

Never saw Gerry play, but remember seeing his son Neil play for Arbroath at Dens in the late 70s.

2 hours ago, Gedee said:

I think Islay you may have mentioned this before ... Of course eh wisnae at St. Johns ... (My academic prowess stood oot) :happyno:

Well until got fund oot at Lawside Academy, to be anither

one o' the many frauds/dafties that got through the net :wacko:

Oor PT  teacher there was into the "hands-on approach" He

liked personal contact Tech Drawing guy...was a sadist :sadno:

"Oh those sweet happy childhood school day memories"

Hi Gedee,

Being in the same teaching profession my father knew Gerry Follon and it is likely that he was a PE teacher at St Johns which I think would be before it moved to Harefield Road. 

2 hours ago, Gedee said:

Without going into too much details (unless you feel it's okay to do so)

Are there any other posters out there, that have good/bad memories, from days spent at school?

Would think in my case, maist of the teaching staff eh came in contact wi are noo awe deid. (RIP)

As gathered from my own posts above a great deal of my school days were not of the happy kind.

Corporal Punishment was liberally dished oot by many "teachers"  & this was NOT  a gentle tap on

the palm...This was serious stuff !!  I think after the war (although I could be wrong) because of the

greater emphasis on education and the shortage of teaching staff, some unqualified persons were

recruited (fast-tracked) into the teaching profession and I'm sure many were not at all suited to this.

Of course the general attitude in the "Good Auld Days" was ..."Spare the Rod & Spoil the Child" :chin:

Hi Gedee,

I will probably get slaughtered for this post but I believe in speaking my mind.

One of the happiest days of my life was when Morgan Academy went up in flames in March 2001. 

1 hour ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi Gedee,

I will probably get slaughtered for this post but I believe in speaking my mind.

One of the happiest days of my life was when Morgan Academy went up in flames in March 2001. 

... And can you account for your movements Islay, for the Month of March 2001?:chaplin:

• Funny 1

"

The" Academy in this city produced such greats as John Duncan,Ian Phillip before you incriminate yourself any further.

Corporal punishment was the norm in my day too,especially the very small band of dabs,they got special treatment fae PE staff😂

1 hour ago, GSD said:

"

The" Academy in this city produced such greats as John Duncan,Ian Phillip before you incriminate yourself any further.

Corporal punishment was the norm in my day too,especially the very small band of dabs,they got special treatment fae PE staff😂

While John Duncan was at the Morgan I am sure that Iain Phillip was at the Grove. 

3 hours ago, Gedee said:

... And can you account for your movements Islay, for the Month of March 2001?:chaplin:

Hi Gedee, 

You should know me by now. I always hold back some information in case someone like yourself asks this type of question. 

In the evening in question I was attending the Downfield Golf Club Winter Games Night (of which I was a member) annual dinner. 

During the meal one of the members who knew I did not like being a pupil at the Morgan said to me ‘IDB you will be happy tonight as it was on Radio Tay that Morgan Academy is on fire’ I replied ‘That is great news and I have a mind to go down and ask the firemen to put petrol in their hoses to burn the building to the ground’. 

Unfortunately they managed to save the front of the building. 

Guys the Morgan was the best ever. I have attached a team photo I was sent recently. 

D9658B98-B32D-45A9-BC73-74700FEA8A57.jpeg

Yeah your right Islay,Phillip was at the Grove,another fine Academy back in the day,but you riled me with the firestarter stuff.

Paroquialism and bad spelling are alive and kicking in this parish!😉😁

8 hours ago, GSD said:

Yeah your right Islay,Phillip was at the Grove,another fine Academy back in the day,but you riled me with the firestarter stuff.

Paroquialism and bad spelling are alive and kicking in this parish!😉😁

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I hated my time as a pupil at Morgan Academy and I am certainly NOT going to get sentimental about my former Secondary school over time. I would certainly not waste my time going to a school reunion.

Alternatively I could have not bothered posting my views about the Morgan but if everyone took that ‘sanitised’ view then there would be no Internet forums. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I hated my time as a pupil at Morgan Academy and I am certainly NOT going to get sentimental about my former Secondary school over time. I would certainly not waste my time going to a school reunion.

Alternatively I could have not bothered posting my views about the Morgan but if everyone took that ‘sanitised’ view then there would be no Internet forums. 

IDB, I was no angel, got the belt most fridays from the chemistry teacher, was terrified of getting the belt from 2 PE Teachers and had a crush on the female PE Teacher, I agree with your comments re School Reunion wouldn’t do anything for me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

IDB, I was no angel, got the belt most fridays from the chemistry teacher, was terrified of getting the belt from 2 PE Teachers and had a crush on the female PE Teacher, I agree with your comments re School Reunion wouldn’t do anything for me. 

It might if the PE Teacher was there! 

Edited by HK Blues
  • Funny 2

17 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Islay, I feel your pain brother! I am also a Morgan FP and absolutely loathed the place from the day I was forced kicking and screaming through its doors until the day of my release five years later. I'm sure the feeling was reciprocated. While all of my primary school mates went to the 'Rocky' or Kirkton High I was 'deemed' clever enough to go to the Morgan. While some of the teachers were ok, the majority seemed to be over pension age and a throwback to something out of a Charles Dickens novel. They continuously reminded us how 'lucky' we were to attend such a prestigious school while one individual consistently referred to my 3A Boys class as 'back street scum'. A charmer and a credit to the teaching profession!

I was also there at the time of the first fire and was subsequently shipped out to Craigie High during the refurbishment work. Another highlight of my 'academic experience', attending a school on the other side of the city where we were not exactly made feel welcome. I managed to get enough out of my time there to pass my exams, although they may have wondered why I was never at school on a Wednesday afternoon for the last few months of the school term. Instead of double maths I was 'starring' in the midfield of a team in the Dundee Half Holiday League (for younger readers, ask your Dad or probably your Grandad)! I don't think I was missed, if I was they never said!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite not old enough to Have seen Gerry play but was fortunate enough to play in the same very good St Francis Boys Club under 16 team as his son Neil. Neil was an excellent player and it was no surprise to see him turn senior.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HK Blues said:

It might if the PE Teacher was there! 

I cannot remember any ‘dolly bird’ female PE teachers when I was a pupil at the Morgan.

The only female PE teacher I can remember was Miss Allan and that was only because she was also a member of Downfield Golf Club. 

40 minutes ago, HamiltonDB said:

Islay, I feel your pain brother! I am also a Morgan FP and absolutely loathed the place from the day I was forced kicking and screaming through its doors until the day of my release five years later. I'm sure the feeling was reciprocated. While all of my primary school mates went to the 'Rocky' or Kirkton High I was 'deemed' clever enough to go to the Morgan. While some of the teachers were ok, the majority seemed to be over pension age and a throwback to something out of a Charles Dickens novel. They continuously reminded us how 'lucky' we were to attend such a prestigious school while one individual consistently referred to my 3A Boys class as 'back street scum'. A charmer and a credit to the teaching profession!

I was also there at the time of the first fire and was subsequently shipped out to Craigie High during the refurbishment work. Another highlight of my 'academic experience', attending a school on the other side of the city where we were not exactly made feel welcome. I managed to get enough out of my time there to pass my exams, although they may have wondered why I was never at school on a Wednesday afternoon for the last few months of the school term. Instead of double maths I was 'starring' in the midfield of a team in the Dundee Half Holiday League (for younger readers, ask your Dad or probably your Grandad)! I don't think I was missed, if I was they never said!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite not old enough to Have seen Gerry play but was fortunate enough to play in the same very good St Francis Boys Club under 16 team as his son Neil. Neil was an excellent player and it was no surprise to see him turn senior.

Hi HamiltonDB,

I am delighted to hear that you also loathed your time as a pupil at the Morgan. You must have been a pupil there in the early 1970’s as I remember reading about the East wing of the Morgan going up in flames in the Courier at that time. 

I do not understand why a lot of former pupils go all ‘misty eyed’ about their time at Primary and Secondary School. Just tell the truth. 

In April 2004 I remember being in B & Q and asking a fellow customer if he was Mr Vigrow who had been a geography teacher when I was a pupil at the Morgan.

H replied that he was. I told him that he was one of the better teachers at the Morgan at that time but a lot of his fellow teachers were b*****ds. He seem pleased to hear me praising him.

I can remember the Dundee Half Holiday League. We used to walk home from the Morgan along Clepington Road and across Fairmuir Park. On a Wednesday afternoon when crossing Fairmuir Park we used to watch the Half Holiday League games. Sadly that ended when shops stopped closing on a Wednesday afternoon.