Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Gerry Follon (Ex Dundee Player & School Teacher)

Gedee

8 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

I visited my old next door neighbour in St Anne’s shortly after she moved there in 1988. There was a waiting list to get into St Anne’s as it was a bit cheaper than other equivalent care homes and it was run by Nun’s. 

At that time it was female only and men had to go to live in Wellburn Home.

I seem to remember reading that Wellburn Home closed down and I think that St Anne’s is no longer in operation. 

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to confirm if my information is correct.

Wellburn (Off Liff Road) I do remember .....  When my parents moved to Dryburgh , I was still a young boy.

As a family we attended church services every Sunday ... Usually at St. Josephs/Marys/ Francis,/Andrews.

Some of the services, for me anyway,  were cold, uninspiring, boring. However Wellburn had services (mass)

every Sunday by a visiting priest (aided by the nuns) This was more appealing...(homely and family friendly)

Later on in life, when I had a family, for a short period I got in the habit of popping down there & helping out.

The last comment was anither bit of insurance to help me sneak into heaven.

At that time eh didnae realise god fast-tracked awe us catholics to heaven :angel:

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I should also add ...

Even Protestants. And those of other Denominations ... (Including Non-Believers)

Are (unofficially) guaranteed a place in Paradise if they have a true love of DFC  :wub:

It goes without saying, that any  knobheids affiliated to Celtic and Rangers Clubs

or as god prefers them to be known as "Twa Cheeks o' the Same Erse" are bound

for the Eternal Fires of Hell and Damnation"...I like to finish on a Happy Note:chaplin:

7 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Hammy, IslayDB, it must have gone doon hill, I was there from 78 onwards. As Captain  I got to lead the Rugby Team into the big lawn every Wed for practise, studs sliding along the marble floors and out the centre door. PE Teachers were Derek Black and Bill Findlay. Mr Gill was the mad Professer Chemistry teacher. Who when dishing oot the belt tried to hit ye on the back of the hand on the way up. 😂

Hi Hammy,

Things had certainly gone downhill by 1978. 

When I was a pupil at the Morgan in the 1960’s nobody but nobody was allowed to use the centre doors at the front. As far as I was aware these doors were permanently shut. As for practicing rugby on the front lawn that was certainly a ‘no no’. Nobody was allowed to stand on the front lawn let alone play sport on it. 

I think that Derek Black was keen on rugby and he was a ‘leading light’ at Carnoustie Rugby Club when it had a spell in the National rugby leagues in the late 1980’s /90’s. 

I had a music teacher called Mr Bennett who used to put a cloth duster over your wrists before giving you the belt. 

I also had a history teacher called Miss Moffat who was small in stature and she used to stand on a chair to give you the belt. 

3 hours ago, Gedee said:

I should also add ...

Even Protestants. And those of other Denominations ... (Including Non-Believers)

Are (unofficially) guaranteed a place in Paradise if they have a true love of DFC  :wub:

It goes without saying, that any  knobheids affiliated to Celtic and Rangers Clubs

or as god prefers them to be known as "Twa Cheeks o' the Same Erse" are bound

for the Eternal Fires of Hell and Damnation"...I like to finish on a Happy Note:chaplin:

Hi Gedee,

I will be OK for heaven. 

I actually quite liked being at the Morgan. Thought it was a very imposing building. Left primary (Balerno St) in April and had to attend the Rocky for three months until the August intake.

The only bit I loathed was when I dropped down a year to resit my Higher English (in order to improve on my 'C') and ended up in a class with Islay (only joking, Dougie).

Other notable footballers to have come out of there were Alex Bruce, who went to Preston, Dave McNicoll, Hearts etc, and John 'Pele' Brown (East Fife). 

17 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

I actually quite liked being at the Morgan. Thought it was a very imposing building. Left primary (Balerno St) in April and had to attend the Rocky for three months until the August intake.

The only bit I loathed was when I dropped down a year to resit my Higher English (in order to improve on my 'C') and ended up in a class with Islay (only joking, Dougie).

Other notable footballers to have come out of there were Alex Bruce, who went to Preston, Dave McNicoll, Hearts etc, and John 'Pele' Brown (East Fife). 

I believe John Duncan left the year before I arrived. George Hill junior was still at the school at that time. He was a Dundee signing and played fairly regularly for the reserves. I remember him being a school celebrity at the time.

8 hours ago, HamiltonDB said:

I believe John Duncan left the year before I arrived. George Hill junior was still at the school at that time. He was a Dundee signing and played fairly regularly for the reserves. I remember him being a school celebrity at the time.

8 hours ago, HamiltonDB said:

I think we're kind of forgetting that Gerry was right back in a Dundee team which won back to back League Cups at Hampden in the 50s. My old man knew him as another gegraphy teacher in Dundee, and he was a regular at Dens in the 1960s and probably beyond.

10 hours ago, HamiltonDB said:

Hammy. 

You previously posted that you started at the Morgan in 1978. 

John Duncan left the Morgan in 1967. I remember George Hill junior as he also played golf. 

10 hours ago, Den Spark said:

I thought that you were in my economics class. 

Adblock Detected