Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Reserves: Dundee V Celtic (5th March 2019)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

 

The reserves are in action tomorrow when the face Celtic at Station Park.

Match Kicks off at 2pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admission is free if anyone feels like going tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 4-0 to Celtic at half-time.

Not much experience in dark blue. 

Starting line up - Sharp, Meres, Rice, Jefferies, Fisher, E. Smith, Anderson, Moore, Scott, Cunningham, Lambert.

Subs - Jackson, Fleming, Rodger, J. Smith, Henvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a waste of Scott Allan's talent. He's at his peak age of 27 and playing a season of reserve football against kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5-0 now. That's us conceded 20 goals in our three games of 2019 and 35 minutes still to play here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6-0 at Station Park.

I don't think we have any senior players at the club who are out of the first-team picture since January and that's led to an inexperienced reserves team and some heavy defeats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young Harrison Sharp in goal produces the latest in a series of great saves to keep the score down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ends 6-0. Youngsters run ragged by former Dee Scott Allan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I don't think we have any senior players at the club who are out of the first-team picture since January and that's led to an inexperienced reserves team and some heavy defeats.

Yes, it's quite a contrast to the earlier half of the Reserves season. I get the impression that, rather than give the usual bench 7 game time in the reserves, JM is keeping his full squad together at training, with 100% focus on teamwork & the relegation fight...got to be the right decision in the circumstances & hopefully it pays off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WoodStein said:

Yes, it's quite a contrast to the earlier half of the Reserves season. I get the impression that, rather than give the usual bench 7 game time in the reserves, JM is keeping his full squad together at training, with 100% focus on teamwork & the relegation fight...got to be the right decision in the circumstances & hopefully it pays off.

Yeah I think it's the right decision. Every unwanted player sticking around just to pick up a wage has been moved on and that's going to do wonders for the atmosphere.

Earlier in the season a former pro (I forget who) visited Dundee's training set-up and said there were small cliques speaking different languages and there was zero togetherness. I suspect things are a lot better now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see Neil Lennon there watching his youngsters. Wonder what J Mac's excuse was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Yes, it's quite a contrast to the earlier half of the Reserves season. I get the impression that, rather than give the usual bench 7 game time in the reserves, JM is keeping his full squad together at training, with 100% focus on teamwork & the relegation fight...got to be the right decision in the circumstances & hopefully it pays off.

I hope that is the reasoning behind this Wood ...

It's maybe unfair to call these past three results a humiliation,

if it is experienced skilled players against some untried/lesser

players. But the end result, cannae dae much for team morale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I hope that is the reasoning behind this Wood ...

It's maybe unfair to call these past three results a humiliation,

if it is experienced skilled players against some untried/lesser

players. But the end result, cannae dae much for team morale.

Again I'm guessing, G, but I suppose our squad has been through an unusual & rapid 'transition' from NM's to JM's squad, in that every surplus player that wasn't already on loan was released, removing a group who might otherwise have played out the season in our reserves. Hopefully this removed the risk of cliques & frustrated players causing an unhappy atmosphere, as Cobra suggested above.

It may well be pitting a hurriedly-promoted bunch of young & very inexperienced former development players against experienced/older/tougher opponents, in the short-term. However, as a few people pointed out earlier in similar topics, the young reserves will learn from these 'canings', even though some may 'wilt'. I'd expect (/hope!) the manager & coaches will have discussed this with these young players & will be working with them on their morale, and on how best to make this work for their development.

The stronger ones among them will be absolutely determined to prove a point, and figure out how to get the better of some of these more experienced teams. If they've got what it takes, they will, before long. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Good to see Neil Lennon there watching his youngsters. Wonder what J Mac's excuse was?

Does he need an excuse ? He was maybe busy running drills with some of the first team. Maybe in discussion with the agent of a player who he's keen to sign on a PCA. Of course, he's maybe just having a tab behind the bike shed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Does he need an excuse ? He was maybe busy running drills with some of the first team. Maybe in discussion with the agent of a player who he's keen to sign on a PCA. Of course, he's maybe just having a tab behind the bike shed.

I'm betting on the 'having a tab behind the bike shed' option. Have only seen J Mac at one reserve/under 18 game and that was at Dens. Sure the youngsters would be encouraged to know the manager is watching them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Den Spark said:

I'm betting on the 'having a tab behind the bike shed' option. Have only seen J Mac at one reserve/under 18 game and that was at Dens. Sure the youngsters would be encouraged to know the manager is watching them.

He could of course be letting James McPake get on with the organisation and managing of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In real terms the reserves are not going to keep our club in the premier league, J McPake I am sure will inform JM of any exceptional performances, otherwise JM has to focus on the first team pool as many have indicated before in this thread. Our efforts to survive this season has to be built on a foundation of stability, it will be a rocky road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.