Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Hartley's Signings

Cobra

I rated McCann's signings a while back so thought I'd do the same for Hartley's.

1. Stewart
2. Hemmings
3. Harkins
4. Thomson
5. McGowan
6. O'Dea
7. Bain
8. McPake
9. P.McGinn
10. Haber
11. Clarkson
12. Holt
13. O'Hara
14. Ross
15. El Bakhtaoui
16. Loy
17. Healey
18. Konrad
19. Gadzhalov
20. Hateley
21. S. McGinn
22. Calder
23. Low
24. Vincent
25. Julen
26. Heffernan
27. Mitchell
28. Williams
29. Ferry
30. Ojamaa
31. Harris
32. Tankulic
33. Meggatt
34. Yordi
35. Duffy
36. Roberts
37. Gomis
38. Arturo
39. Klok
40. Schenk

Anyone else want to have a go?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
8 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I rated McCann's signings a while back so thought I'd do the same for Hartley's.

1. Stewart
2. Hemmings
3. Harkins
4. Thomson
5. McGowan
6. O'Dea
7. Bain
8. McPake
9. P.McGinn
10. Haber
11. Clarkson
12. Holt
13. O'Hara
14. Ross
15. El Bakhtaoui
16. Loy
17. Healey
18. Konrad
19. Gadzhalov
20. Hateley
21. S. McGinn
22. Calder
23. Low
24. Vincent
25. Julen
26. Heffernan
27. Mitchell
28. Williams
29. Ferry
30. Ojamaa
31. Harris
32. Tankulic
33. Meggatt
34. Yordi
35. Duffy
36. Roberts
37. Gomis
38. Arturo
39. Klok
40. Schenk

Changes I've made. My interpretation is to look at the amount of benefit/damage a player did over their contract rather than ability levels. I've grouped us into good, steady and very damaging. I think signings like Low, Williams, Meggatt, Ferry, Vincent etc were all very damaging destructive signings given the money (likely) involved - someone like Yordi is relatively harmless if we're not paying much and can get rid of them easily. I'd have liked to put Gadzhalov higher but we paid him for a year to do nothing (although, that maybe wasn't Hartley's fault I suppose so I'm probably been harsh).

• Thomson drops - I think Thomson was an important signing and the required quality we needed to get us over the line and keep us up. That being said, it was unlikely to be a cheap expense and there were other players at this level who were influential in his role and likely more cost effective.
  • Haber rises - In the same way that Thomson was really important in getting the quality to keep us up, I think Haber was an even more significant player in how he gave us a tool to salvage our season. I think that if we never signing him when we did, we'd have dropped down a level. When he arrived, he was literally one of the best aerial players in Europe.
  • McGowan rises - Tough one but I think that when you consider that he's had another additional two and a half years to Harkins, he's added a bit more value to our side. There are question marks about him long-term but I think that over the piece, he's been an incredibly valuable signing to Dundee.
  • Holt rises - I think Holt struggled a huge amount in his first few months but was well worthy of his player of the season award in his second year. Under McCann, he had competition in Aurtenexte and won it out eventually - both were very capable players and statistically, they were both better than any other left back at the league at defending down their side.
  • Konrad rises - I actually think Tam was a really decent signing. Had his horror moments but over the season, he was generally very consistent and reliable. I also think that he was very harshly treated as well when analysing his bad moments, any defender playing in a 4-1-5 formation will be exposed a lot and eventually make mistakes. I'd say it was a mistake of Hartley to release him. I'd even consider putting him a couple of places higher but I think the importance of those players leaves Tam behind.
  • Loy and Faissal drops - For me, they were actually disaster level moves. We got a few goals from Loy and some moments from Faissal but in my mind, neither really looked like making impacts at this level and both of them had to be paid off over a year early. I'm not saying both are the worst players we've ever seen at Dens (and they did produce some good moments which I enjoyed) but I just think we expected a lot more from them and neither really showed they were good enough and we wasted a lot of cash.
  • Julen drops - He had a couple of good spells but tbh, I never really thought he was consistently good enough for this level and injuries just meant that he was not in a good state. What's worse is like a few others, his problems were documented before he arrived and he got a three year contract (spending the last of it doing very little)
  • Unrated players - I've left out a few players, short term ones who were maybe only here a few months and never played. Ada, Arturo, Klok and Duffy were on short term deals and didn't play so I don't think I could rate any of them apart - they also weren't economic disasters. I've removed poor Arvid from history.

1. Stewart
  2. Hemmings
  3. McGowan
  4. Harkins
  5. O'Dea
  6. Bain
  7. Holt
  8. Haber
  9. McPake
  10. Thomson
  11. Konrad
  12. O'Hara
  13. P.McGinn
  14. Clarkson
  15. Ross
  16. Gadzhalov
  17. Heffernan
  18. Harris
  19. Mitchell
  20. Hateley
  21. Julen
  22. El Bakhtaoui
  23. Loy
  24. Tankulic
  25. Yordi
  26. Gomis
  27. Vincent
  28. Ferry
  29. Roberts
  30. Meggatt
  31. Low
  32. Williams

So many ways you can do this depending on your interpretation.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

1. Stewart
2. Hemmings
3. Harkins
4. Thomson
5. McGowan
6. O'Dea
7. Bain
8. McPake
9. P.McGinn
10. Haber
11. Clarkson
12. Holt
13. O'Hara
14. Ross
15. El Bakhtaoui
16. Loy
17. Healey
18. Konrad
19. Gadzhalov
20. Hateley
21. S. McGinn
22. Calder
23. Low
24. Vincent
25. Julen
26. Heffernan
27. Mitchell
28. Williams
29. Ferry
30. Ojamaa
31. Harris
32. Tankulic
33. Meggatt
34. Yordi
35. Duffy
36. Roberts
37. Gomis
38. Arturo
39. Klok
40. Schenk

Scarily you've listed 40 names and I'd say only the top 14 made any worthwhile contribution whilst the next 5 made some contribution. The rest verged on comic cuts.

Adblock Detected