The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Dundee 0 - 1 Hearts

Rate this topic

38 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I see we're now odds-on to finish bottom. The bookies think we'll be visiting Gayfield on league business for the first time since 1978/79.

The sooner we get Celtic out the way and playing the weaker teams again the better. These fixtures are killing us.

Playing the weaker teams won't change anything for us, we are the weakest side and this will show when we play them.

Root cause of our current position? Neil McCann being hired by John Nelms. McIntyre has done what he can to sort out the shambles but if we're being honest it looks like it isn't nearly enough.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

35 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Playing the weaker teams won't change anything for us, we are the weakest side and this will show when we play them.

Root cause of our current position? Neil McCann being hired by John Nelms. McIntyre has done what he can to sort out the shambles but if we're being honest it looks like it isn't nearly enough.

The weakest four teams in the league are Dundee, Hamilton, St Mirren and Livi. Our record against the other three is W3 D3 L2, St Mirren's record is W2 D1 L4 and Hamilton's record is W3 D1 L3.

Given that we deserved more points from those eight games but still have the best record suggests we should be fairly confident going in the end of the season.

If you look at things objectively there is no way you can say we are clearly the weakest team. 

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

The weakest four teams in the league are Dundee, Hamilton, St Mirren and Livi. Our record against the other three is W3 D3 L2, St Mirren's record is W2 D1 L4 and Hamilton's record is W3 D1 L3.

Given that we deserved more points from those eight games but still have the best record suggests we should be fairly confident going in the end of the season.

If you look at things objectively there is no way you can say we are clearly the weakest team. 

Won't disagree with you but as regards feel of the squads, confidence, belief etc. I think St. Mirren, Hamilton and Livi are miles ahead of us so history aside going forward are more likely to beat us than we are to beat them. 

Only my opinion but I think we're a weak squad with no guts for the battle.

14 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Was all for getting behind McIntyre as he tried to pull round the McCann shambles. Certainly getting close to the stage where I'll turn against him - as bad as McCann? not yet for me..

Hi Prince...I gave you a reluctant like, for your short comment above.

It is no because eh want to add any mair  gloom to my present feelings.

But it is very near to the way I'm feeling just now. It's still no clicking yet.

Listening to JM's post match comment he still sounds positive. As good

as that is to hear I am still no convinced, regarding his reasons & excuses,

It seemed to me, there were two pretty awful teams on the park. And had

we been at all decent, we should have picked up a minimum of one point.

We can't keep going on the "excises trail" Simply put we need the points.

13 hours ago, Spiritof62 said:

The truth is we have problems all over the pitch.

Im back to wondering where the next pont is coming from never mind a win.

Were not direct enough and the midfield is toothless and goalless and let’s just forget our central defence.

Think we need Nelson back and at least two grafters in midfield. Hadenius played against Killie. Gowser? Also a settled back two. When Wright is off form we don't seem to create anything.

15 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Or.... maybe a minter not applauding on 'one of our own'. I guess it depends how petty you are.

I think it was right to applaud Wighton.

• Like 2

Hearts are a physically brutal team of hammerthrowers and the ref was blind especially in first half(did ref supervisor have a word at half time?) to their continual foul play and yet we were the better side overall just could not score.so I don't think you can say we have no guts.9 games to go and at least 3 will be against teams who have little to play for so I think it boils down to which of the bottom 3 capitalise against them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Hearts are a physically brutal team of hammerthrowers and the ref was blind especially in first half(did ref supervisor have a word at half time?) to their continual foul play and yet we were the better side overall just could not score.so I don't think you can say we have no guts.9 games to go and at least 3 will be against teams who have little to play for so I think it boils down to which of the bottom 3 capitalise against them.

Hearts play a similar spoiling, aggressive style to Hamilton, Livi and St. Mirren, they all have the guts for the fight. We can't cope with that approach because we can't match the blood, guts and thunder approach. If we can somehow start scoring goals however we'll have a chance.

My opinion and I hope they prove me wrong, just don't see where that will come from right now.

18 hours ago, Cobra said:

How damaging was this defeat? We just don't know. If St Mirren beat Killie and St Johnstone while we lose to Celtic we'll head to Paisley five points adrift at the bottom.

Hopefully Killie can do us a favour on Monday. Worryingly they're without a win in eight games and haven't found the net in eight hours of football since scoring twice at Dens.

I doubt that this bunch of players have the guts or will to claw back a 5 point gap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Hearts play a similar spoiling, aggressive style to Hamilton, Livi and St. Mirren, they all have the guts for the fight. We can't cope with that approach because we can't match the blood, guts and thunder approach. If we can somehow start scoring goals however we'll have a chance.

My opinion and I hope they prove me wrong, just don't see where that will come from right now.

How many times did Hearts players get past two or three of our players on the bye line simply because we never put in a tackle?

Imo this is not a sign that we are determined to beat the drop.

• Star Post 1

17 hours ago, eyeothedug said:

Where was the spirit and display that we showed v Killie, a few weeks back at Dens? Simply can't understand the inconsistency. Similar team, worse opposition. Unacceptable. All these guys do is play football. Have an off day in training, yes but NOT on match day. Unprofessional.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that to be honest. Let’s be honest this team on the whole are a bunch of misfits thrown together in an attempt to save us from relegation. They have shown on their day that they can’t be a decent side but the simple fact is if they were able to do that on a consistent basis they would either be at their parent clubs or not signing for a club in dire straits. Playing against a streetwise hearts side with Levein in charge there was always a possibility that was going to happen after losing an early goal.

I think it’s harsh to describe them as unprofessional because I doubt any of these lads go into a game thinking I can’t be fucked today. There are just so many factors that can influence performance particularly with their players at our level and consistency is very difficult to achieve.

For us to stay up it was always going to be a big ask and require a huge amount of luck imo. We are still in the hunt to avoid relegation and as long as that is still the case come the split we need to try and remain positive as difficult as that maybe. 

18 hours ago, Cobra said:

How damaging was this defeat? We just don't know. If St Mirren beat Killie and St Johnstone while we lose to Celtic we'll head to Paisley five points adrift at the bottom.

Hopefully Killie can do us a favour on Monday. Worryingly they're without a win in eight games and haven't found the net in eight hours of football since scoring twice at Dens.

Obviously that is possible but a st Mirren side who have 17 points from a possible 84 are highly unlikely to buck that trend and get 6 from 6.

Just in case the bookies are offering odds of around 20/1 on that happening so maybe we should all lump on. 

Wasn't there so cant comment on the game, but it was a big opportunity missed, we need to be picking up points from these type of fixtures to give ourselves a fighting chance to stay up, hate this reliance on other teams to keep our heads above water...

Next week is a practical write off, but I would say we need minimum 5points from last 3 games before split to give us a reasonable chance.

Most likely outcome for me is 11th and id probably take that right now....

18 hours ago, eyeothedug said:

Where was the spirit and display that we showed v Killie, a few weeks back at Dens? Simply can't understand the inconsistency. Similar team, worse opposition. Unacceptable. All these guys do is play football. Have an off day in training, yes but NOT on match day. Unprofessional.

No Nelson, so no hope of a goal. Mid field was poor yesterday. I think the Swede has to play before gowzer. Absolutely unconvinced by Dales ( and Jesse Curran). 

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

47 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

I don’t think it’s as simple as that to be honest. Let’s be honest this team on the whole are a bunch of misfits thrown together in an attempt to save us from relegation. They have shown on their day that they can’t be a decent side but the simple fact is if they were able to do that on a consistent basis they would either be at their parent clubs or not signing for a club in dire straits. Playing against a streetwise hearts side with Levein in charge there was always a possibility that was going to happen after losing an early goal.

I think it’s harsh to describe them as unprofessional because I doubt any of these lads go into a game thinking I can’t be fucked today. There are just so many factors that can influence performance particularly with their players at our level and consistency is very difficult to achieve.

For us to stay up it was always going to be a big ask and require a huge amount of luck imo. We are still in the hunt to avoid relegation and as long as that is still the case come the split we need to try and remain positive as difficult as that maybe.

I think some players are unprofessional to be honest. Where was the grit shown against Killie? It's easy to give 100%

14 hours ago, Cobra said:

Cobra , I agree to an extent. We are the least  able to battle and grind out results of the four  though.

4 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

No Nelson, so no hope of a goal. Mid field was poor yesterday. I think the Swede has to play before gowzer. Absolutely unconvinced by Dales ( and Jesse Curran). 

Yeah it seems that Nelson, Wright, R McGowan and Horsefield are the best players to come in. The others seem pretty average. Why does Woods have to start every game too?

Edited by eyeothedug

35 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

I think some players are unprofessional to be honest. Where was the grit shown against Killie? It's easy to give 100%

How do you know they weren’t? Just because they are not running about like headless chickens doesnt mean they are not giving 100%. 

As I have said consistency at our level is very  difficult to find it’s also very hard to look good against a team of spoilers like hearts. 

Sometimes with the best will the world things just don’t happen. 

20 hours ago, Cobra said:

These fixtures are killing us.

Not sure I agree.

Hamilton away, Motherwell at home, Hibs at home, Hearts at home.

1 (one) point from that lot. Only word I can think of is ....Dire 

Actually 2 words and the other one begins with 'R'

Edited by Dondeh

"I’m sorry at the sorry way my team picked up three welcome points yesterday." Interesting view on Dundee v Hearts from Mickey Lawson - someone who knows a thing or two about football"

Honestly couldn't give a phuck how they approached the game. They got 3 points we got zero. That's the be all and end all imo. If the roles were reversed I'd be delighted. 

Edited by Dondeh

7 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

Hi PB

In my 60+ years of going to Dens I don't think I have ever seen such brutal thuggery as I saw from the Hearts on Saturday.Sure I have seen individual thuggery -Trebbi continually kicking Gordon Smith in off the ball incidents in the European Cup semi final for instance and at Tynecastle against United when we led 2-1 at half time in a Sc Cup Semi and J.McLean sent the thugs to work.And various other individual incidents and sometimes from Dundee players in a flare up situation,but shame on Hearts Levein has cynically put together the most cynical of the lot.So the fact that we stood up to them and only lost through a freak error gives me ground for hope that we are in fact the strongest and most likely to come through it all especially if Nelson gets fit to link up with K Miller.

Keep the Faith.

• Star Post 1

12 minutes ago, dfcman said:

Hi PB

In my 60+ years of going to Dens I don't think I have ever seen such brutal thuggery as I saw from the Hearts on Saturday.Sure I have seen individual thuggery -Trebbi continually kicking Gordon Smith in off the ball incidents in the European Cup semi final for instance and at Tynecastle against United when we led 2-1 at half time in a Sc Cup Semi and J.McLean sent the thugs to work.And various other individual incidents and sometimes from Dundee players in a flare up situation,but shame on Hearts Levein has cynically put together the most cynical of the lot.So the fact that we stood up to them and only lost through a freak error gives me ground for hope that we are in fact the strongest and most likely to come through it all especially if Nelson gets fit to link up with K Miller.

Keep the Faith.

I hope you're right.

That game yesterday was made for the Swede to play in midfield instead of Robson.

Hearts were worse than Hamilton at the way the played yesterday-absolutely tragic they got 3 points but once they got ahead we had virtually no creativity in midfield.

Thought Sullivan really put himself about when he came on and did liven things up-again bad team selection.

I am right.My late brother in law won a League Championship medal in the 50's with Hearts and would have been disgusted by Leveins tactics.I have read Mickey Lawsons words through the Alan Pattullo link and he echoes my sentiments.How does this affect DFC?I'll tell you.Keep on with what we are doing the goals and the results will come.I quite fancy our chances against St.J and St M (twice) Accies Livvy and the rest.And even if we finish 11th I well fancy our chance against ICT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dfcman said:

I am right.My late brother in law won a League Championship medal in the 50's with Hearts and would have been disgusted by Leveins tactics.I have read Mickey Lawsons words through the Alan Pattullo link and he echoes my sentiments.How does this affect DFC?I'll tell you.Keep on with what we are doing the goals and the results will come.I quite fancy our chances against St.J and St M (twice) Accies Livvy and the rest.And even if we finish 11th I well fancy our chance against ICT

I just don't see it I'm afraid. Yes we're considerably better than we were CONSIDERABLY BETTER. But then so are St Mirren. Then factor in that LIvi, St. Johnstone and Hamilton are not sides we traditionally do particularly well against and I just don't think we'll have enough We've been waiting for it to click for the last two seasons, is it just going to happen now? Hope springs eternal but reality bites.

Sorry if I come across as completely negative but I've just been there so many times with Dundee and it's always the other club that pulls off the big result at our expense and never us at theirs. Even in the last promotion season Hamilton managed the eight goal margin they needed (OK it was clear cheating) and we only got away with it by the thickness of Kyle Letheren's gloves.

I don't care about Levein, we all know what kind of a manager he is and that his football teams tend to be thugs but his sides consistently do well against us, last visit to Tynecastle aside. That's because for whatever reason our teams never seem to have the guts for a fight.