Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

In Hindsight

Edin_Dee

Would you have voted FPS into power?

Now I will start this off by saying I have no real knowledge of how the club was being run under fan ownership. I've heard the rumours that we were being run into the ground but is that really true? The way I see it is we were doing not too badly for a club that had just come out of administration. We were living within our means as far as I am aware?

There is no doubt when FPS came in it brought a lot of optimism to the club. The decision to bring in Paul Hartley was a great one. If he hadn't come in we probably wouldn't have won the league. The following season, ticket prices were frozen (I think?), sensible signings were made and we had a good season. Up until then all was going well and I really thought the club was going places.

From then on it has been one poor decision after another from FPS. Terrible transfer windows, throwing away money with long term contracts for poor players, a bizarre manager appointment and most importantly driving away fans with significant ticket price increases.

I keep hearing "FPS have done a lot of good for this club". What is it they have done that has been so good? Fair play they have put their money where their mouth is but what is the point when you don't have people in place to competently spend it?

Right now we are odds on favourite to be relegated, running at losses of between £500k - £1m per year, letting Dens fall apart, looking increasingly likely the new stadium idea is not happening, have a Board trying to force DFCSS to give up their shares/vetoes and have a support declining more and more every season. If we do get relegated I would argue we will be in a worse state than when FPS took over.

The season ticket announcement is what has made me feel the need to write this post. It has proven beyond doubt to me that FPS are only interested in getting as much money as possible out of the fans that are daft enough to pay. When/if we move to the new stadium will it be a case that they will only be interested in getting as much rent as possible from the club?

I have had some concerns for a while about the way this club was heading but this has just proven to me that FPS are going to run this club into the ground eventually. There has been an opportunity to become the best supported club in the city but decisions made mean we are going to start getting crowds closer to St Johnstone's. 

So in answer to my own question, yes right now I regret my decision to vote FPS into power. In reality though it would not take radical thinking to change the atmosphere around the club. If the club announced £340 is what you'll pay for a season ticket regardless of when you buy it and also appointed someone knowledgeable to head up the football department (a Director of Football type) that would go along way to improving things on and off the park.

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

If FPS had stated prior to the meeting in August 2013 that their preferred option was to leave Dens Park and move elsewhere then I would have voted against FPS purchasing a majority shareholding in Dundee Football Club Limited. 

However the damage is done and unfortunately we cannot not turn the clock back. We have to make the best of a bad job and FPS under the control of Tim Keyes (Source Dundee Football Club Limited Annual Accounts for the year ending 31st May 2018) know that Dundee supporters will support their club come what may. 

However Tim Keyes does not know how many current Dundee season ticket holders will renew their season tickets for next season or just decide to attend selected home games. 

In my opinion the obvious solution is a Q and A with Dundee supporters to be held in the Caird Hall. 

If John Nelms will not reply to emails then it is now time for ‘his boss’ Tim Keyes to take action and hold the Q & A during his next visit to Dundee. 

Based on information available at the time it was the right thing to do and presented with the same information today I would again vote to let them in. In hindsight I don't regret it but obviously the question of 'what if' will raise its head when things are this bad.

It's subsequently transpired that much of what was promised was either unachievable or was never really planned - that's business.

I suspect that had we stayed fan owned and not got promoted the next season we would still be in the Championship due to the clubs who came down over the next couple of seasons. This would have pushed crowds even lower. Remember we were fan owned when we had the ridiculous handling of the appointment  of Bomber.

25 minutes ago, GordonDarkBlue said:

I suspect that had we stayed fan owned and not got promoted the next season we would still be in the Championship due to the clubs who came down over the next couple of seasons. This would have pushed crowds even lower. Remember we were fan owned when we had the ridiculous handling of the appointment  of Bomber.

It was Spoofer that appointed Bomber was it not? Spoofer's appointment was the board's mistake, Bomber was Spoofer's most glaring one.

The best ownership we have had in my time supporting Dundee FC. I’ve been going to Dens since 1980 and for the fourth consecutive season we have finished above Utd, we have a competitive youth policy where kids are now signing for Dundee over united, we have had international players in our first team, we are trying and hopefully will have a new stadium. 

Fan ownership was dreadful. 

Communication is the only draw back with FPS, as there is none, zilch, nada.

We had no option but to accept FPS's involvement. The fan-run experiment proved to be a disaster for DFC. Supporters were bitterly split, we had a board paralysed by fear and unable to sack the manager despite a catastrophic run of results. Most importantly we were reliant on a six- figure handout each year to plug the huge hole in our finances just to keep us afloat.

Even if we did have a choice I'm still glad FPS got involved. We've been a failure on and off the park for decades, staggering from one financial crisis to another, a yo-yo club that was fast becoming a Championship club.

Our fortunes have undoubtedly improved since FPS arrived though. We've seen some quality players like Stewart, Hemmings and Thomson, we're in the league above United for the first time since 1960 and crucially we've established ourselves in the top flight for the first time since 1990 (the bank paid for the Bonetti era so I don't think that really counts).

For the first time since the 1980s I've been able to concentrate largely on the football without having to worry about rogues in the boardroom taking us to the brink of going under.

It's fair to say we've been served beans on toast at the top table week after week for the last couple of years but the fact we're at the top table is what matters to me, and I'm in a no rush for us to bite our nose off to spite our face and tell FPS where to go.

6 hours ago, Prince Buster said:

It was Spoofer that appointed Bomber was it not? Spoofer's appointment was the board's mistake, Bomber was Spoofer's most glaring one.

It was 'Spoofer' as you call him who employed Bomber without actually looking any further for a new manager.

Adblocker Detected