Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Neil Lennon's After-match Comments

andrak

So, the big fat bully kid in the playground talks after his latest ‘success’ this time over the skinny wee kid with glasses, a club foot, learning difficulties, and his stronger right arm in a sling.

“Thought I deserved to win that. Ha!, I probably didn’t even need to wear my stab proof jacket and knuckle-dusters for this one. It was as though he just didn’t want to fight. I’m proud of my boys for sticking with it to the very end. It was great to watch the fatal blow going in just when the wee kid thought he had escaped with a little dignity and all his teeth.”

It’s not Lennon’s fault that his team are the playground bullies with the money to buy all the offensive and defensive weapons available.

But the very least we should hope for him is that he shows his opponents a degree of respect and accepts his victories with some humility.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Lennon's Hibs team regularly caused Celtic problems home and away. They beat them twice last year. Maybe he thinks smaller clubs should be doing better against the champions despite the gulf in resources.

Only Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Killie are really testing the Old Firm just now. The rest of us are usually beaten before a ball is kicked.

I'm not sure that Celtic should be beating their chests after any domestic victory, given their financial superiority. All the praise goes to the wee teams (including Rangers) for puting up a fight and having the good fortune to catch them on a bad day.

I am of the opinion that one of the only ways to hurt Celtic is to press their midfield (ie. Brown) and the defence and keep wingers higher up the pitch, basically attack them with hard pressing and pace. Which is what Lennon done well with at Hibs. But it is extremely difficult and leaves you open to the chance that Celtic's superior ability will cut through the team if or when they wise up too it so it shouldn't really be a shock that teams set up ultra defensive v them like us yesterday.

Lennon surely knows that, I can understand his comments as its frustrating to play against but there is really no need for it when he can bring on a £12million centre half on from the bench along with a wonderkid from PSG. Nevermind the £9million donkey they had up front.

Also, I'm sure he set his Bolton team up to be ultra defensive at times when they were getting pumped week in week out.

6 minutes ago, Pepe said:

I am of the opinion that one of the only ways to hurt Celtic is to press their midfield (ie. Brown) and the defence and keep wingers higher up the pitch, basically attack them with hard pressing and pace. Which is what Lennon done well with at Hibs. But it is extremely difficult and leaves you open to the chance that Celtic's superior ability will cut through the team if or when they wise up too it so it shouldn't really be a shock that teams set up ultra defensive v them like us yesterday.

Lennon surely knows that, I can understand his comments as its frustrating to play against but there is really no need for it when he can bring on a £12million centre half on from the bench along with a wonderkid from PSG. Nevermind the £9million donkey they had up front.

Also, I'm sure he set his Bolton team up to be ultra defensive at times when they were getting pumped week in week out.

I think that's right tbh. They have had some notable defeats with high pressing sides but it is really really tough to do - I think you've got to have a really good quality spine to your side and some really mobile and workhorse forwards (Craig Curran and Nelson fit maybe). Until then, getting numbers behind the ball and trying to keep disciplined is the best chance teams like us have. I didn't hear all of Lennon's comments but I didn't think he was insulting us or that, I thought he was being complimentary by saying we were a b*****d to play against.

I think though that Celtic under Rodgers were unreal in their ability to take teams apart. Against us, they'd move the ball really quickly for long periods of the first half and by the time we'd get into the second period, we'd be pretty much fucked (having run much much more out of possession and being less fit) and they'd get to step up a gear and put us to the sword in the second half. There were off games and vulnerabilities to it (like if they were stopped from doing that and given a possession battle of sorts) but the consistency of it was pretty good when you'd look at their points over a season and consider other managers who'd struggled to hit that level of domestic domination with similar levels of financial dominance.

I could see Lennon maybe do OK against bigger sides in Europe and maybe drill a team well but I think his approach of trying to force wins in the way that they did yesterday with the sorts of tactical changes they made will backfire long-term. More wingers and crosses into the box does increase the chance of something falling right but there are some days where defenders are just playing really well and handling those sorts of things all day. We weren't far away from a good chance at the end and there are much stronger teams in the league who you'd think would be more ruthless.

Adblock Detected