Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

3rd Lowest In the 'Long Passing' Game - Scotsman Table

WoodStein

I noticed this recent addition to the Scotsman's seemingly endless series of 'statistical tables', and thought it might prompt some discussion, as we enter one of the international break 'dead zones'.

The top part is probably no great surprise, but I was surprised we are the closest to the OF, with the 3rd lowest long-pass level. My impression of the change in our game since JM took over is that we move the ball around faster than under NM, and get up the park quicker, but we do still pass the ball around a fair bit to switch play...it may have been useful to see if there's a clear shift in the long passes between the two managers' spells.

I think it would also have been more interesting to have the number of short passes as well, to see the percentage of long v short, which is perhaps a better indication of how a team tends to play. I don't know what distance Wyscout uses to define 'long'.

The Scotsman's use of the term 'route one' in the title is, I think, misleading. A 50-yard pass to the feet of a player, or over/through the defence & into the path of a striker (like Broadfoot's for Killie's goal at Ibrox) is nothing like the image 'route one' creates, of a hopeful punt up the pitch with no specific target. 

The most ‘route one’ Scottish Premiership teams - ranked in order

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/the-most-route-one-scottish-premiership-teams-ranked-in-order-1-4887860?page=1

Teams are often given back-handed compliments or outright criticised if they are too direct. It’s often viewed as not being the “proper” way to play football. With this in mind we’ve looked at the 2018/19 Scottish Premiership season so far and, with the help of the statistics provided by Wyscout, ranked all 12 top flight clubs in order of how many long passes they’ve hit this season.

Team Total Long Passes Long Passes per game
1 Livi 1,940 63.56
2 Killie 1,786 58.51
3 Hamilton 1,780 58.42
4 Hibs 1,667 54.10
5 Aberdeen 1,622 52.89
6 Motherwell 1,609 52.66
7 St.Johnstone 1,582 52.27
8 St.Mirren 1,569 51.44
9 Hearts 1,553 50.86
10 Dundee 1,522 49.96
11 Rangers 1,339 43.69
12 Celtic 1,084 35.45

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

I noticed this recent addition to the Scotsman's seemingly endless series of 'statistical tables', and thought it might prompt some discussion, as we enter one of the international break 'dead zones'.

The top part is probably no great surprise, but I was surprised we are the closest to the OF, with the 3rd lowest long-pass level. My impression of the change in our game since JM took over is that we move the ball around faster than under NM, and get up the park quicker, but we do still pass the ball around a fair bit to switch play...it may have been useful to see if there's a clear shift in the long passes between the two managers' spells.

I think it would also have been more interesting to have the number of short passes as well, to see the percentage of long v short, which is perhaps a better indication of how a team tends to play. I don't know what distance Wyscout uses to define 'long'.

The Scotsman's use of the term 'route one' in the title is, I think, misleading. A 50-yard pass to the feet of a player, or over/through the defence & into the path of a striker (like Broadfoot's for Killie's goal at Ibrox) is nothing like the image 'route one' creates, of a hopeful punt up the pitch with no specific target. 

The most ‘route one’ Scottish Premiership teams - ranked in order

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/the-most-route-one-scottish-premiership-teams-ranked-in-order-1-4887860?page=1

Teams are often given back-handed compliments or outright criticised if they are too direct. It’s often viewed as not being the “proper” way to play football. With this in mind we’ve looked at the 2018/19 Scottish Premiership season so far and, with the help of the statistics provided by Wyscout, ranked all 12 top flight clubs in order of how many long passes they’ve hit this season.

Team Total Long Passes Long Passes per game
1 Livi 1,940 63.56
2 Killie 1,786 58.51
3 Hamilton 1,780 58.42
4 Hibs 1,667 54.10
5 Aberdeen 1,622 52.89
6 Motherwell 1,609 52.66
7 St.Johnstone 1,582 52.27
8 St.Mirren 1,569 51.44
9 Hearts 1,553 50.86
10 Dundee 1,522 49.96
11 Rangers 1,339 43.69
12 Celtic 1,084 35.45

Interesting stuff this.  I think we could have guessed who would be 1st and 12th but there isn't really much to chose between the rest.  Somebody earlier was saying that the ball is only in play on average for around 47 minutes each game.  If you add on the Livi long throws to their total the ball must rarely touch the deck when they have possession.  Brutal stuff imo.

34 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

What's the parameters of a "long pass", out of interest?

Livingston for one are very direct (as the table shows) but it's almost always aimed to a player. Is a "long pass" into the channels? A clearance?

Before I posted the article/table, I tried a google search for Wyscout's 'long pass' definition, but couldn't find anything. I'm hoping there's someone with access to Wyscout (or knows someone who has access) who might be able to clarify.

I'd guess your example of the Livi 'long-ball to a target', and the 'into the channels' ball would be....but the 'clearance, anywhere' to get the ball up the pitch or just out of danger areas, is a different thing altogether.

13 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

What's your criteria for a 'long pass', in these stats then, CW?......> 20 yards? :P  

Was just joking. I don't know what the criteria is.

What I would say is, long passing can be top drawer rather than negative.

There's a difference between kicking the ball as hard and as high as you can aimlessly than picking out a striker with a perfectly weighted defence splitting long ball.

Mane's first goal against Bayern last week from an exquisite long pass from Van Dijk is one of the goals of the season.

Short passing can be beautiful as can long passing. All about the execution.

1 hour ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

There's a difference between kicking the ball as hard and as high as you can aimlessly than picking out a striker with a perfectly weighted defence splitting long ball.

Mane's first goal against Bayern last week from an exquisite long pass from Van Dijk is one of the goals of the season.

I realised that CW....and I'm sure I remember a 50-yards cross-field pass in one of NM's games, that did reach one of our players :)  

I think I saw that Mane goal....but it was Liverpool, so I've 'deleted it' ;)  The Killie goal I mentioned earlier is one of the simplest & most effective long-pass goals in our league...perfectly weighted pass & first touch by McAleny, took out Rangers entire midfield, defence & keeper, and silenced 98% of Ibrox....always a pleasure to see!

5 hours ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

We call that hoofball in Dundee. 

11 hours ago, barkblue said:

We call that hoofball in Dundee. 

There's always some seething guy:

*Dundee pass the ball around for 4 seconds*

"f**cking GET THA BA FORWARD, PUNT IT f**k SAKE DUNDEE"

*Player punts it forward*

"GET THE BA ON THE f**cking GROOND, PLAY SOME FITBA"

Adblock Detected