Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way.

GoatLord

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
6 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

There seems to be a common trend to some posts on this forum which (often eloquently and always passionately) debate the ups and downs of being a Dee then finish with some variant of “and I wouldn’t want it any other way”.

It’s like some perverse re-working of “Here’s tae us, wha’s like us” as if being a Dundee fan necessarily has to be accompanied by chaos and (lots of) disappointment.

Well, baws to that I say. Quite frankly, this season (and much of latter era Hartley plus almost the entirety of the failed McCann experiment) has been a miserable, frustrating and dispiriting experience. 

I’m a season ticket holder but wasn’t at Dens yesterday. I couldn’t face the prospect of a 3 hour round trip to witness a backs-to-the-wall siege for 90 minutes. As a Dee in his fourth decade of support I can actually remember when scraping a 0-0 draw against Celtic didn’t represent the pinnacle of our aspirations. 

Through those four decades I’ve seen us participate in only two major cup finals. Our recent cup record is so abysmal that getting to a quarter final seems a distant hope. 

I’ve seen us lurch from one under-achieving season to another under, predominantly, average to poor football management.

We’ve been “run” at boardroom level by a variety of chancers, charlatans, criminals and crazies. And just when we seem to have some boardroom stability under the Americans we’re suffering what is possibly the worst season I’ve ever had to endure. 

I’m a Dee. It’s part of my DNA and that won’t change but, my God, I do wish it wasn’t so damn hard!

Wouldn't want it any other way.

Where did it all go wrong under the current regime? I think the loss of Stewart and Hemmings in the same summer was a (possibly unavoidable) disaster that we've never really recovered from. The replacements largely failed to deliver and after a horrific run of results the board attempted to give everyone a lift by persuading former Dee McCann to leave the telly for his first job in management but unfortunately that decision only exacerbated our on-field problems. McCann's refusal to appoint an experienced assistant and determination to bin Hartley's players while signing a new group of players who "play the right way" but had no experience of playing at this level further jeopardised our chances of success, and set us up for this current shambolic season.

Miraculously St Mirren have been in an equally bad state so we still have a chance of survival. Many Dees are understandably fed-up though. I just hope the club can make better decisions this summer and the team can start winning more matches to give the fans a reason to look forward to games again (whichever league we're playing in).

Here's the way I see it. Supporting Dundee is like real life, there are high and lows, good and bad, periods of joy, periods of sadness, there is always someone cleverer than you, earning more money, better car, better holidays, prettier wife etc etc.

When you support a team like Celtic there are no major lows, in the scale of things they are financially poor compared to the mega English or European sides, so for them to win in Europe is like us beating a top six side.  They had a substitute yesterday probably worth more than our whole club. Many of their supporters are glory hunters from places like Dundee, some of who religion is more important that the football. It's sad its about money, when we get a good player they are gone, often to sit on the bench of a "big" team.

Our suffering is preordained, just as Celtic will never again win the European Cup (Champions League), we will never win the Premiership. 

Would I like to be happy all the time, sure. But to feel true happiness you have to have defeats, disappointments, yes even relegation.  It's Life.....

Wouldn't want it any other way 🙂

10 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

The amount of lows we suffer over the decades just makes the highs all the better when they happen.

Owners, managers, players and fortunes come and go but we (the fans) are the football club, consistent decade after decade.

The Dundee Derry, The Dees, The Dark Blues. 

Dundee FC 💙

Wouldn’t have it any other way

Adblock Detected