The Dark Blues
Cobra

Favourite Dundee Memory

Rate this topic

We're going through one of those tough periods as Dees right now. Be nice to be reminded of the wonderful times that our team sometimes give us.

The moment that still gives me shivers is Grady at the sticklebrick. Has a football ever been struck better? The eruption behind the goal was something else. I'm so glad they never equalised because the celebration lasted about 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

I can see what you've tried to do here cobra but I don't think it will work this time mate. 

The club has went backwards in recent years and it's getting worse week by week. Hartley couldn't replace hemmings, Stewart or harkins, he was lucky that hemmings and Stewart ended up as good as they were but the second those 3 were not replaced he was doomed. McCann done a great job to keep us up but after that he should have walked away but he didn't and because of his 1 and half seasons in charge we ended up with this Arab b*****d of a manager that is an absolute clown.

All of this added together with the fact that we will more than likely go down automatically and we have owners that are deluded and have no idea about Scottish football the atmosphere around the club is horrible and I cant see anything picking the support up other than jmac getting sacked and mcpake, Boyle and the experienced members of the squad taking charge and somehow keeping us in the division 

• Like 5

Neil's deft lob against Raith during the deefiant season. 

Least favourite memory is Betos post as it missed the point of Cobras post imo.

• Like 1

For a full game blood and thunder. 

For a favourite singular moment in football. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Star Post 1

17 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Neil's deft lob against Raith during the deefiant season. 

Least favourite memory is Betos post as it missed the point of Cobras post imo.

So my post is worse than getting fucked 6-2 across the road, getting relegated at Livingston in 2005 or getting 7 past us against Aberdeen at home? Doubt it somehow 

I was at all of them and it gets close. 

• Funny 3

My favourite memory has to be a league cup victory over Celtic during the power cuts due to strikes in December 1973. Gordon Wallace scoring the goal. The crowd under  30,000 but it was a great day. Thought I would see more such days and it seems and is so long ago. Still great memory though. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

I can see what you've tried to do here cobra but I don't think it will work this time mate. 

The club has went backwards in recent years and it's getting worse week by week. Hartley couldn't replace hemmings, Stewart or harkins, he was lucky that hemmings and Stewart ended up as good as they were but the second those 3 were not replaced he was doomed. McCann done a great job to keep us up but after that he should have walked away but he didn't and because of his 1 and half seasons in charge we ended up with this Arab b*****d of a manager that is an absolute clown.

All of this added together with the fact that we will more than likely go down automatically and we have owners that are deluded and have no idea about Scottish football the atmosphere around the club is horrible and I cant see anything picking the support up other than jmac getting sacked and mcpake, Boyle and the experienced members of the squad taking charge and somehow keeping us in the division 

I get your point Beto but even if the club folded tomorrow our great memories of being a Dee can't be taken away.

You might not want to think of better times while we're going through a difficult time but I don't know why you're bothered if some of us would like to take a minute to reflect on happier times like winning the title at Muirfield, Caniggia's debut or the Doon Derby. 

Being a Dee gives us amazing highs and horrible lows and for me personally the lows become a little easier if I take time to reflect on those amazing moments when the Dundee end erupted after a memorable goal like Grady's.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

The day I done a pre-match sh*t as a young pished teenager whilst attempting to do a piss in the Derry bogs probably isn't my favourite memory but after enduring 90 arduous minutes it's the day I realised I was in this for the long haul. If you can endure that and repeated shouts of "Wha the Fucks farted" you can endure anything. Relegation will be a walk in the park in comparison.😂💩

• Funny 3

On 07/04/2019 at 21:22, Cobra said:

I get your point Beto but even if the club folded tomorrow our great memories of being a Dee can't be taken away.

You might not want to think of better times while we're going through a difficult time but I don't know why you're bothered if some of us would like to take a minute to reflect on happier times like winning the title at Muirfield, Caniggia's debut or the Doon Derby. 

Being a Dee gives us amazing highs and horrible lows and for me personally the lows become a little easier if I take time to reflect on those amazing moments when the Dundee end erupted after a memorable goal like Grady's.

Didn't mean any disrespect cobra, was in a horrendous mood on Sunday. Been to the golf tonight and played well so I'm in a good mood now, so for that reason I'll give you a top 5.

1. Doon derby

2. Hearts 4-4 (1st game)

3. Chip

4. 4-4 at Easter road 

5. Chic charnley scoring from the half way line against Portsmouth in a pre season friendly (sure it was against them)

On 07/04/2019 at 01:36, Cobra said:

We're going through one of those tough periods as Dees right now. Be nice to be reminded of the wonderful times that our team sometimes give us.

The moment that still gives me shivers is Grady at the sticklebrick. Has a football ever been struck better? The eruption behind the goal was something else. I'm so glad they never equalised because the celebration lasted about 10 minutes.

How good was Rab!?! You forget how good a keeper can be when you go so long without seeing one like him.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2019 at 21:04, EuanG said:

My favourite memory has to be a league cup victory over Celtic during the power cuts due to strikes in December 1973. Gordon Wallace scoring the goal. The crowd under  30,000 but it was a great day. Thought I would see more such days and it seems and is so long ago. Still great memory though. 

^^ this and the Scottish Cup run the following year.

At 6.20 minutes we do a simple yet very dangerous free kick manoeuvre which is very difficult to defend.Even with our dead ball kicking defincies we must have someone,P.McGowan,who could do this for a quick player,J Curran ,to run onto and hopefully not hit the post.

Yup,The Skol Cup win against "them",beating Celtic 5-1 and 4-1,beating The Gers and "Them" 4-3 (them twice),Stuffing Hearts a couple of times!!!- all great memories but listening to Off The Ball On Saturday reminded me of an incident that always makes me laugh!!!!

Sandy Clark (Boo) was on and was asked about 1986 and blowing the league at Dens.Through gritted teeth he gave his recollections barely hiding his contempt for us!!

His words reminded me of this:

Back in the Bonetti/Duffy days when Premier Games were being shown Live on the BBC, Sandy was a co commentator at the time.Now over that period he was less than generous about everything Dundee FC and his comments etc angered a lot of us at the time.

One day (no doubt we were playing one of the Old Firm) and Sandy's up in the gantry with Rob Mclean.-Cue the Derry to start singing (To The Tune of "the Jimmy Hill song) "We hate Sandy Clark he's a .................." etc.(not PC now I know!!!

I was at the Bottom of The Derry with a lot of guys all pointing up at him singing this and the look on his face was classic!!!! -Seething Rage!!!!while Rob McLean was laughing away!!!

When I got home I watched my recording and laughed when you could hear the song as clear as bell but what really made it was Rob McLeans  comment of "Well you can fully hear the Members of the Sandy Clark Appreciation Society voicing their approval" at Sandy's attendance here!!

Great Memories!!! ;oD

• Like 2

Any game where Jocky 'got the heid doon'.

He had an extra touch of class that I don't recall seeing in any other Dundee player (since 1970). Sure, Cannigia was a better player all round, but nothing beats Jocky for me. He lost that pace around 1972 I think.

A good few spring to mind   but i have two stand out memories and i cant seperate them, firstly the 5-1 demoltion of Celtic at Dens ,and also the 2-1 Skol cup quarter final win against the filth,  the noise and backing from the Dee support in the cup game was outstanding,walking out of the Provie and down the Provie Road and then on to  Mains Road  with thousands of Dees singing ,i remember hundreds swarming down the Provie Road  chanting and then when we got to the Dens Road everyone all merged together with the fans coming out the Derry and the singing and chanting was as loud as i have ever heard it outside a ground and   in the streets ,the roads and pavements were crammed solid with singing chanting celebrating Dees.

What an epic night.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, thegen65 said:

A good few spring to mind   but i have two stand out memories and i cant seperate them, firstly the 5-1 demoltion of Celtic at Dens ,and also the 2-1 Skol cup quarter final win against the filth,  the noise and backing from the Dee support in the cup game was outstanding,walking out of the Provie and down the Provie Road and then on to  Mains Road  with thousands of Dees singing ,i remember hundreds swarming down the Provie Road  chanting and then when we got to the Dens Road everyone all merged together with the fans coming out the Derry and the singing and chanting was as loud as i have ever heard it outside a ground and   in the streets ,the roads and pavements were crammed solid with singing chanting celebrating Dees.

What an epic night.

Got to be the Skol Cup for me. Amazing support that night.

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Got to be the Skol Cup for me. Amazing support that night.

Have to agree- A night like no other in my 47 years as a fan!!! The sight and sound- Amazing!!!!! Even if TV clips did survive it wouldn't have captured the atmosphere in and around Dens Park that night especially in the Provie/Derry and parts of the main stand-Had everything! Och I will attach this again!!!!

d1.jpg

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Donny O said:

Have to agree- A night like no other in my 47 years as a fan!!! The sight and sound- Amazing!!!!! Even if TV clips did survive it wouldn't have captured the atmosphere in and around Dens Park that night especially in the Provie/Derry and parts of the main stand-Had everything! Och I will attach this again!!!!

d1.jpg

The crowd  was still coming into The Provie at half time (that's a fact)  hence the few spaces seen in these shots.In the 2nd half it was crammed solid!!! What a celebration for both goals!!!!It was as if there was no benches!!! Total Bedlam!! Think I stayed behind a good 20 mins  after the whistle singing at the back!!!The Doon Derby was  good but this was amazing with double the crowd of which we had the major majority!! ;o)

d2.jpg

• Love 1

Doon Derby was special for all Dee's and will hopefully keep them down there for longer. Up there for me are the last day v Dumbarton, Grady's volley, the day out to Starks to win the league, the celebrations for the Dariusz heider, CC33 then Giogi's ridiculous chip, McPake breaking them, the Semi v Caley and even the final was unbelievable for me despite the loss.

But the one game that stands out for me is the 2-0 win in May 1999 over the road. Been to pretty much every game with my dad and his pals for about the past 4/5 season previous and had my share of Derbies but only remember bits and bobs. But that win was probably the first derby I vividly remember and was probably the game that got me properly hooked into our club as it was a perfect day. Sun blazing, great atmosphere, the game was a bit sh*t and I'm sure Annand had missed a brilliant chance just before big Irvine came in like a flying salmon to burst the net with his header and Grady's goal bobbling over the line at a snails pace. Proper arms and legs stuff and the ball wasn't even in the net yet. Glorious. 

• Love 1

The noise when Coyne equalised late in the League cup game was absolutely awesome. Then the winner from Wright, with Dundee getting closer to the Provie end goal and everyone standing up  as it all unfolded. What a night. The Doon Derby was special and  I was lucky enough to be at the Cologne 4-2 game. I was also at the Gilzean seven goal 10-2 game although I was tiny, but taken along by my dad. Cant remember anything about the Gilzean days and wasn't at any of the league winning team matches but there must have been some belter games back then as well. I would imagine the Cologne European game must have been something else. Have heard the commentary from Kenneth Wolstenhome which is on the internet.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

All of the above,great memories,but my stand out memory is the 73 league cup win at Hampden,with my old man in old mainstand.As the Celtic fans dispersed we moved along to almost right behind presentation,we stamped our feet and sang as loud as we could as they came up stairs,awesome for a young boy to witness.I can only imagine what winning the league was like,but that is burned into my memory banks.

• Love 1

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:01, Parcbara said:

The noise when Coyne equalised late in the League cup game was absolutely awesome. Then the winner from Wright, with Dundee getting closer to the Provie end goal and everyone standing up  as it all unfolded. What a night. The Doon Derby was special and  I was lucky enough to be at the Cologne 4-2 game. I was also at the Gilzean seven goal 10-2 game although I was tiny, but taken along by my dad. Cant remember anything about the Gilzean days and wasn't at any of the league winning team matches but there must have been some belter games back then as well. I would imagine the Cologne European game must have been something else. Have heard the commentary from Kenneth Wolstenhome which is on the internet.

League Championship matches were mainly down to technical excellence, team cohesion and brilliant organisation.The Raith home 5-4 win and the last 15 minutes after Pat Lineys pen.save against St Mirren and the Easter Monday 2-1 win at Tannadice with Gillie scoring a late screamer were the only ones with extremes of excitement such as in the matches you describe.The 8-1 home win against Cologne in the European Cup First leg was indeed something else,something no-one could have predicted because we fully expected to get eat and it was totally one sided. Memorable for the crowd singing .You hear it in the Wolstenholme commentary in which he says 'I've never heard singing like it'And at halftime boys up on each others shoulders waving their scarves and belting out Hail Hail heard mile away.