The Dark Blues
Valentke

Mainstand 1919-2019

Rate this topic

I believe it celebrates its 100th birthday this year. (Building started in 1919) I wonder how many stands remain in use that are as old or older?

My first visit to it was to see Dundee beat Ayr in the LC semi in 1979. I only visited it once more before I became a regular in circa 2001.

In between times I visited the TCK once v Liverpool and the Provie only once v Brora. Every other match between 79 and 2000 was watched from the Derry before I tried the first and my only season in the Bobby Cox. (Ear ache was too much)

I love our mainstand decrepit as it is. 

• Like 3

I’m mainstand loyal now as well was also in it for that semi final, think the Derry was getting the benches put in?

TCKeay I seem to remember being in it to watch us beat Alloa around that time as well 6-1 I think but memory could well be playing tricks. 

1st game in Derry was versus East Stirling got a Les Barr clearance straight in the face 😂

Love the old main stand though, if Nou Campy ever happens I’ll miss having my view obscured by a dark blue pillar 😂💙

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, offshoredee said:

I’m mainstand loyal now as well was also in it for that semi final, think the Derry was getting the benches put in?

TCKeay I seem to remember being in it to watch us beat Alloa around that time as well 6-1 I think but memory could well be playing tricks. 

1st game in Derry was versus East Stirling got a Les Barr clearance straight in the face 😂

Love the old main stand though, if Nou Campy ever happens I’ll miss having my view obscured by a dark blue pillar 😂💙

Yes Derry was getting the benches put in. Great intro to the mainstand that night - it was shaking with all the foot stamping! 

• Like 1

I used to be very envious of the well off season ticket holders sitting in the Centre Stand section of the Main Stand. 

Now when I attend home games at Dens I sit in the Main Stand with the rest of the ‘toffs’. 

My first game was seen from the main stand in March 1959. My Dad took me and we beat Partick Thistle 3-2 according to my a journal my dad kept.

• Like 2