The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Unfortunately our young lads like Lambert, Scott and henvey don't appear to have kicked on as we hoped after looking good last season. 

On the plus side we appear to have some promising talent coming up behind them.

The under 18s have won the majority of their games and have 3 representatives in the Scottish schools team. 

At their age group some of these lads look very good but they have a very long way to go before they reach the level for first team football. 

Having said this I'm hopeful that some of them have the dedication and talent to develop into first teamers, hopefully with us.

Johnston at left back is a talented wee lad. Good on the ball and quite pacey. He isn't the biggest so hopefully gets a growth spurt.

In midfield we have Anderson, Robertson, Mulligan and Cameron.

Anderson is very hardworking and picks out some great forward passes. 

Robertson is a sitting midfielder whose passing with either foot is excellent. Doesn't mind a tackle. 

Mulligan is quick, direct and a powerful runner with the ball. Scores quite a lot for a midfielder.

Cameron is best at no. 10 and creates and scores goals. His touch and vision is excellent. 

I've seen fisher and Smith have fine performances at centre half and Smith, McGrath and Cunningham up front too. Hopefully they can all kick on. 

New signing Kyle Fleming looks a decent acquisition in midfield. 

Overall I'd be hopeful that some of these guys can join Jesse and Moore in the first team squad before too long.

Ddyb💙

Edited by Wattie Rojas
  • Like 6
  • Star Post 3

Wattie, do you think it would have made a difference to them if we had had a better season and there were games when it would have been possible to put them on for the last ten minutes. I always thought that getting game time against a higher standard of players, playing with the senior pros was the only way to help them improve their game. If you don't build up some resilience in their mentality early on it seems that it's much more difficult to develop later on in their career. Just my thoughts, no real examples.

35 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Unfortunately our young lads like Lambert, Scott and henvey don't appear to have kicked on as we hoped after looking good last season. 

The under 18s have won the majority of their games and have 3 representatives in the Scottish schools team. 

At their age group some of these lads look very good but they have a very long way to go before they reach the level for first team football. 

Having said this I'm hopeful that some of them have the dedication and talent to develop into first teamers, hopefully with us.

Johnston at left back is a talented wee lad. Good on the ball and quite pacey. He isn't the biggest so hopefully gets a growth spurt.

Robertson is a sitting midfielder whose passing with either foot is excellent. Doesn't mind a tackle. 

Mulligan is quick, direct and a powerful runner with the ball. Scores quite a lot for a midfielder.

Cameron is best at no. 10 and creates and scores goals. His touch and vision is excellent. 

I've seen fisher and Smith have fine performances at centre half and Smith, McGrath and Cunningham up front too. Hopefully they can all kick on. 

Overall I'd be hopeful that some of these guys can join Jesse and Moore in the first team squad before too long.

Ddyb💙

Great post mate. I think the guys you've mentioned (Scott, Lambert & Henvey) might move on to create space for others coming through. I'm thinking probably Jeffries and maybe Bradbury will be gone too. The 3 attackers aren't blessed with great pace and aren't particularly tall. If McIntyre is still here next season I think he'll want a different type of player pushing for first team inclusion, especially if we're relegated. 

• Like 1

Robertson, Mulligan and Cameron are all 16 and play for Scottish schools team. They are probably the most promising lads in the 18s. No idea about the younger teams. 

49 minutes ago, BCram said:

Wattie, do you think it would have made a difference to them if we had had a better season and there were games when it would have been possible to put them on for the last ten minutes. I always thought that getting game time against a higher standard of players, playing with the senior pros was the only way to help them improve their game. If you don't build up some resilience in their mentality early on it seems that it's much more difficult to develop later on in their career. Just my thoughts, no real examples.

I think youngsters have to be able to handle the physical side of the game first and foremost. To that end most of the lads I've mentioned wouldn't be strong enough yet given their age: 16/17. 

Josh Mulligan and the 2 centre halfs are probably the exceptions.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Great post mate. I think the guys you've mentioned (Scott, Lambert & Henvey) might move on to create space for others coming through. I'm thinking probably Jeffries and maybe Bradbury will be gone too. The 3 attackers aren't blessed with great pace and aren't particularly tall. If McIntyre is still here next season I think he'll want a different type of player pushing for first team inclusion, especially if we're relegated. 

Really appreciate Wattie your knowledge of the potential regular DFC players (hopefully in the near future)

And with me, and I 'm sure many others, not seeing them in action, your analysis of their skills helps everyone.

We all know developing players don't always reach the height we/they hope for. but regularly mentioning their

progress on here as you do, not only enlightens us (& gies us hope , which we awe need) it encourages them :happyyes:

Just hope the club stop pitching them into massive defeats in the reserve league. I saw Hibs gub them 8-1 and it was soul destroying. Heads were deffo down at end.

12 hours ago, Gedee said:

Really appreciate Wattie your knowledge of the potential regular DFC players (hopefully in the near future)

And with me, and I 'm sure many others, not seeing them in action, your analysis of their skills helps everyone.

We all know developing players don't always reach the height we/they hope for. but regularly mentioning their

progress on here as you do, not only enlightens us (& gies us hope , which we awe need) it encourages them :happyyes:

No worries mate. I'm particularly excited to see how the 3 Scotland lads progress.

40 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Just hope the club stop pitching them into massive defeats in the reserve league. I saw Hibs gub them 8-1 and it was soul destroying. Heads were deffo down at end.

I don't think the guys I mentioned were playing in that game or the Derby defeat.

17 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

3 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I don't think the guys I mentioned were playing in that game or the Derby defeat.

Wattie/Rev....is Scott a couple of years younger than Lambert & Henvey? I have it in my mind that he was 16 during the final 'Dev' league, last season?

I saw him a couple of times towards the end of that season & thought he looked very sharp & with a good touch in tight situations in the box....scored a very good goal v Hearts, who were very strong. I was hoping his loan season would strengthen him enough to be a regular in the reserves next season & maybe the occasional sub appearance if he's doing well.

Can see  Lambert and possibly Scott leaving. Lambert in particular is a talent who hasn't been given a chance IMO. 

Difficult when your in a relegation scrap I get that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

Wattie/Rev....is Scott a couple of years younger than Lambert & Henvey? I have it in my mind that he was 16 during the final 'Dev' league, last season?

I saw him a couple of times towards the end of that season & thought he looked very sharp & with a good touch in tight situations in the box....scored a very good goal v Hearts, who were very strong. I was hoping his loan season would strengthen him enough to be a regular in the reserves next season & maybe the occasional sub appearance if he's doing well.

Scott is 20 yrs old. He's been on loan at Berwick where he scored 3 or 4 goals before returning to Dens. He's currently at Forfar where he's struggled for game time. I think he's maybe had around 14 senior career appearances and scored 3/4 goals. He hit a real purple patch in the U20'S when he first arrived and we were rattling in the goals but has probably struggled since. He was the one that I thought might push for first team inclusion at the start of the season but I think the writing was on the wall when he failed to make the training trip to Portugal. He's never had a look in since and, to me, seems to have accepted that too easily.

Just a wee observation with our recent hammerings but generally, the better teams for youth development (like Hamilton for example) seem to consistently field younger sides than we had previously been playing by a couple of years. Those teams as well don't always have it good at reserve level and have conceded some cricket scorelines over the years, the correlation between doing well in that league and making good youth players is pretty much non existent.

It's obviously the case that players develop at different rates etc but it just seems to be that if you've got a player turning 20 in a season and they are never going to be given any actual first team playing time or a proper loan spell (i.e. something agreed early on to integrate into a team rather than make up the numbers), it's pretty much always the case that they won't make it in that spell at the club. The exceptions I can think of are goalkeepers or players who have been injured or maybe had something change in their career (like they've stepped up the level recently or change role).

Bielsa seems to have quite an interesting concept where he comes into the club and goes down the youth set-up and has everyone play a couple of years above what their age group is. It's not a one size fits all approach but it does seem daft and a little bit irresponsible when we're just keeping players to make up numbers and coaches etc privately state that they won't make it. If a 19/20 year old isn't going to make a team at League One or League Two, I'd much rather we have a 15/16 year old on the books getting their chance.

• Like 2

Your dead right he hasnt been giving a chance but lambert has offers from english league sides and top scot prem team who hand out games to youngsters .so will leave dundee albeit with unfinished business and a heavy heart as he absolutely wanted to shine for dundee and loves the place/people

Clearly the stand out performer for reserves and dev squad is at least being recognized by other pro clubs but not dundee 

Moore been giving the chance and good luck to him but jack not been afforded the same chances etc but if everyone whos been to these games over past 2 years will know lambert was the stand out man .

I thoroughly believe dundee will live to regret not giving him a real chance .

And theres also one or two things that might come to light afterwards that a lot of dundee fans either will not like to hear or believe but all in good time .

• Wowzer 1

As i said club should be building to future instead of developing other teams players and playing others cast offs

19 minutes ago, Only me said:

As i said club should be building to future instead of developing other teams players and playing others cast offs

too much like commonsense Only me! We  would rather sign up part fit players from elsewhere rather than play our reserve team players. some how we seem to have a lack of scrutiny about our club. It's as though nobody cares what our record for developing players is. We just don't get it. Accies have a benevolent attitude to their ground ownership and a youth policy that actually means something in terms of getting youngsters playing in the SPFL. I think we'd get better players wanting to come to us if there was a much stronger link between playing in the reserves and stepping up if there was an injury in the big team.does JM attend the youth team sessions or matches. Hartley did but I kind of got out of the way of going to see the youngsters so don't know about McCann or McIntyre. 

Its not only the first team set up that's a shambles then?

3 hours ago, BCram said:

too much like commonsense Only me! We  would rather sign up part fit players from elsewhere rather than play our reserve team players. some how we seem to have a lack of scrutiny about our club. It's as though nobody cares what our record for developing players is. We just don't get it. Accies have a benevolent attitude to their ground ownership and a youth policy that actually means something in terms of getting youngsters playing in the SPFL. I think we'd get better players wanting to come to us if there was a much stronger link between playing in the reserves and stepping up if there was an injury in the big team.does JM attend the youth team sessions or matches. Hartley did but I kind of got out of the way of going to see the youngsters so don't know about McCann or McIntyre. 

I'm sure I read that JM doesn't attend these games. Hartley and McCann definitely did. Incidentally the U18's are playing the DAB'S at Gussie on Friday evening if anyone's interested. 7pm K/O.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Campbell said:

Its not only the first team set up that's a shambles then?

If you knew some things you wouldnt believe it m8

25 minutes ago, Only me said:

If you knew some things you wouldnt believe it m8

Go on, try us.

33 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Go on, try us.

Cant just yet but all in good time m8

• Like 1

On 13/04/2019 at 19:04, Wattie Rojas said:

Ddyb💙

Can only kick on if they play n given opportunities m8

Lambert will be lucky if hes played 6 games all season and its not all down to injuries .

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Only me said:

Cant just yet but all in good time m8

Dunno who you are but you are becoming very alarming. Hope you can deliver in your tantalising teasers?

3 minutes ago, Only me said:

Can only kick on if they play n given opportunities m8

Lambert will be lucky if hes played 6 games all season and its not all down to injuries .

Am I right in thinking that you are a former Dundee director or have I just made that up?.🤔