Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Players Depart

Dondeh

"Dundee Football Club can confirm that the following youth players will leave the club at the end of their current contracts.

Tom Bradbury, Kyle Gourlay, Matty Henvey, Sam Jackson, Dan Jefferies, Jack Lambert, Brian Rice and Cedwyn Scott will not be offered new contracts when their current deals come to an end next month.

We would like to thank all the players for their efforts during their time at the club and wish them all the best in the future".

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
2 minutes ago, BCram said:

could you move this topic to the young Players Thread that is already running. There's stuff here that is very interesting and it might be better to keep it all in one thread.

Sorry, I thought duplicate/triplicate threads were allowed?.

23 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Sorry, I thought duplicate/triplicate threads were allowed?.

no criticism in tended. They are. It's just that the way we deal with our young players appeared to be getting some criticism in an earlier thread and I thought that the predictions made on the other thread were pretty well borne out by the factual information that you posted here. As some have said, nothing to see here, move on. That may well be the case but what if it's not the case, and we are not dealing with our young players in the same way that other clubs do and who appear to have greater success in bringing through young players into the first team?

16 minutes ago, Wattie Rojas said:

No mention of Waddell and ferrie.

Maybe due to them still being on loan & playing for their clubs? Might also depend on the type of contract they're currently on?

If we've given 2 lads new contracts, and released 8, does anyone have a view on whether this ratio (20%) is significantly worse (or better) than at other 'similar' clubs, i.e. bottom half of premiership & the bigger full-time clubs in the championship?

I think Wighton, Kerr, Waddell, Curran are the only young players we've 'developed' over the last 5 years or so. 

I wonder if the shift from Development to Reserve leagues has changed the situation for clubs like ours, where the youths stop at 18 now (don't they?), and the over 18s would need to be good enough to progress via the reserves, to fringe squad players, to the bench? Are we going to see an increase in the number of more experienced 'fringe' players (aka journeymen) in the reserves, instead of this being somewhere for older youth players to continue their development? 

1 hour ago, Wattie Rojas said:

Good luck to these lads wherever they end up. 

The jump to first team level is huge. When someone like Craig wighton who was exceptional in the development team struggles with the step up then it shows you just how big.

I can’t believe some of the nonsense being spouted on social media, the step up is huge, and this type of thing has been going on since the early 90s where clubs are basically using players to fill there youth teams...

Edited by Mr Sensible

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Maybe due to them still being on loan & playing for their clubs? Might also depend on the type of contract they're currently on?

If we've given 2 lads new contracts, and released 8, does anyone have a view on whether this ratio (20%) is significantly worse (or better) than at other 'similar' clubs, i.e. bottom half of premiership & the bigger full-time clubs in the championship?

I think Wighton, Kerr, Waddell, Curran are the only young players we've 'developed' over the last 5 years or so. 

I wonder if the shift from Development to Reserve leagues has changed the situation for clubs like ours, where the youths stop at 18 now (don't they?), and the over 18s would need to be good enough to progress via the reserves, to fringe squad players, to the bench? Are we going to see an increase in the number of more experienced 'fringe' players (aka journeymen) in the reserves, instead of this being somewhere for older youth players to continue their development? 

Waddell is out injured for the rest of the season. Morton's fan page tweeted it out at the weekend.

Adblock Detected