Jump to content
The Dark Blues
islaydarkblue

Latest Crisis To Hit Mv Hebridean Isles Car Ferry

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Yesterday afternoon (22nd April) the MV Hebridean Isles car ferry was forced to cancel all sailings for the remainder of the day plus the following day due to an outbreak of Norovirus.

I happened to find out as I was due to travel on the 7.00 sailing today and as it was windy yesterday I checked the Calmac website for any weather related cancellations. 

I immediately phoned Calmac and was advised that there was a suspected outbreak of Norovirus with the ferry likely to be withdrawn from service.

There was a further announcement at 4.30pm which confirmed my worst fears that the 7.00 sailing was cancelled as the MV Hebridean Isles was going to have a deep clean to get rid of the Norovirus which is highly contagious. 

I again phoned Calmac and fortunately my booking was able to be transferred to the 9.45 sailing from Port Ellen to Kennacraig. 

As usual there has been no press release from Transport Scotland owners of Calmac regarding this outbreak of Norovirus on the MV Hebridean Isles and if I had not been booked to sail today I would not have known anything about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

if I had not been booked to sail today I would not have known anything about it. 

Which begs the question, if you weren’t booked on it why would you need to know about it? 🤷‍♂️

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dblair said:

Which begs the question, if you weren’t booked on it why would you need to know about it? 🤷‍♂️

Outbreaks of Norovirus should be released into the public domain as a matter of concern, not swept under the carpet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Outbreaks of Norovirus should be released into the public domain as a matter of concern, not swept under the carpet. 

Never heard of transport Scotland releasing statements about norovirous. Surely the fact that Calmac made an announcement to state the sailing was cancelled and they were taking measures to get rid of the virus means it wasn’t swept under the carpet?

Glad to hear you still managed to travel today though Islay. It’s a real pain when your travel plans get cancelled 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dblair said:

Never heard of transport Scotland releasing statements about norovirous. Surely the fact that Calmac made an announcement to state the sailing was cancelled and they were taking measures to get rid of the virus means it wasn’t swept under the carpet?

 

Only one problem. 

Calmac never made a statement that the sailings were cancelled as they were taking measures to get rid of the Norovirus. 

Calmac stated on the Service page of their website that the sailings had been cancelled due to a Technical issue which covers a multitude of sins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, islaydarkblue said:

Only one problem. 

Calmac never made a statement that the sailings were cancelled as they were taking measures to get rid of the Norovirus. 

Calmac stated on the Service page of their website that the sailings had been cancelled due to a Technical issue which covers a multitude of sins. 

 

On 24/04/2019 at 00:23, islaydarkblue said:

There was a further announcement at 4.30pm which confirmed my worst fears that the 7.00 sailing was cancelled as the MV Hebridean Isles was going to have a deep clean to get rid of the Norovirus which is highly contagious. 

🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever had norovirus Islay. It is very unpleasant indeed and on ships it is very easily spread. Friends had a luxury cruise totally ruined by an outbreak of it. Trip cut short, antiseptic wipes being used all the time - a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BCram said:

Have you ever had norovirus Islay. It is very unpleasant indeed and on ships it is very easily spread. Friends had a luxury cruise totally ruined by an outbreak of it. Trip cut short, antiseptic wipes being used all the time - a disaster.

I had Norovirus four years ago and it was very unpleasant. Even when I recovered it took me a week to get back to normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am always amazed at your ability to put a time and place when you recount your experiences. How do you do it? Do you keep a diary and check, or are you just one of these people who remember dates and such like?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BCram said:

I am always amazed at your ability to put a time and place when you recount your experiences. How do you do it? Do you keep a diary and check, or are you just one of these people who remember dates and such like?

 

You are not the first person to have remarked about my ability to remember times and dates. 

I can remember exactly when I had my Norovirus as it was an October Saturday evening and I had been watching a Scotland qualifying football match at Hampden on SKY. 

After the game I took to my bed feeling ill. 

I later woke up, went to use my en-suite toilet and collapsed on my way back to my bed. 

My wife phoned NHS 24 and eventually she spoke to the on-call GP on Islay who advised to give me a pint of diluted black current juice containing a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. My GP told my wife that he was reluctant to visit me as there were only three GP’s on Islay that weekend and he did not want to contract Norovirus. The GP gave my wife his direct phone number and that if I did not improve he would call an ambulance to take to Islay Hospital to be hooked up to a drip. 

The next morning the GP as he was finishing the end of his shift phoned my wife to see how I was doing and as I  was slowly improving he told her to ensure that I kept drinking the pints of diluted black current juice with sugar and salt to put fluids back into me. Eventually at about 10.30pm I got up for a cup of coffee and a piece of toast and butter. 

The diluted black current juice containing sugar and salt had a horrible taste but I had to endure it as it was making me better. 

My bout of Norovirus knocked the stuffing out of me and I took a week to fully recover. 

It was the crew on the MV Hebridean Isles who suffered the Norovirus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Outbreaks of Norovirus should be released into the public domain as a matter of concern, not swept under the carpet. 

Doesn't the carpet get wet on a ferry? 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

....I had been watching a Scotland qualifying football match at Hampden on SKY. 

After the game I took to my bed feeling ill. 

 

Perfectly normal response to watching Scotland Islay

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Doesn't the carpet get wet on a ferry? 

No carpets on the ferry nowadays. It is all laminated wood flooring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Perfectly normal response to watching Scotland Islay

England were playing later that evening and I did not find out the score until I was speaking on the phone to one of the NHS 24 staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

No carpets on the ferry nowadays. It is all laminated wood flooring. 

Interesting choice of floorcovering - doesn't it get wet and warp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Interesting choice of floorcovering - doesn't it get wet and warp?

It is inside the ferry not out on the deck. People have the same flooring in their own homes with no apparent problems. We have the same wooden engineered flooring in our kitchen which has a 25 year guarantee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Interesting choice of floorcovering - doesn't it get wet and warp?

They'll be able to wash all the beer spillages more easily. Though having seen the Viking Sky cruise ship losing its power to engines & stabilisers, and rocking 90 degrees side-to-side, with furniture & even a grand piano sliding into the side windows, I guess sticky carpet has its uses, even if it does make walking hard work.

....and I'm imagining the scene on the Carnrian-Ireland ferries on OF matchday, hundreds of fans sliding about on a laminate floor with 2" of beer spillage. :sick: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WoodStein said:

They'll be able to wash all the beer spillages more easily. Though having seen the Viking Sky cruise ship losing its power to engines & stabilisers, and rocking 90 degrees side-to-side, with furniture & even a grand piano sliding into the side windows, I guess sticky carpet has its uses, even if it does make walking hard work.

....and I'm imagining the scene on the Carnrian-Ireland ferries on OF matchday, hundreds of fans sliding about on a laminate floor with 2" of beer spillage. :sick: 

There is not a lot of beer drinking on the Kennacraig to Islay ferry crossings as the journey is between two hours and two hours twenty minutes depending on whether the ferry sails from Kennacraig to Port Askaig or the longer crossing to Port Ellen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WoodStein said:

They'll be able to wash all the beer spillages more easily. Though having seen the Viking Sky cruise ship losing its power to engines & stabilisers, and rocking 90 degrees side-to-side, with furniture & even a grand piano sliding into the side windows, I guess sticky carpet has its uses, even if it does make walking hard work.

....and I'm imagining the scene on the Carnrian-Ireland ferries on OF matchday, hundreds of fans sliding about on a laminate floor with 2" of beer spillage. :sick: 

If we're talking 'harry roughers' stories then tag me in.

During the war......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

It is inside the ferry not out on the deck. People have the same flooring in their own homes with no apparent problems. We have the same wooden engineered flooring in our kitchen which has a 25 year guarantee. 

I have such flooring throughout my house here, with the exception of the bathrooms.  I have my doubts that it will last 25 years but it's not engineered wood - only laminate.  We had ceramic tiles previously which was an unmitigated disaster!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

I have such flooring throughout my house here, with the exception of the bathrooms.  I have my doubts that it will last 25 years but it's not engineered wood - only laminate.  We had ceramic tiles previously which was an unmitigated disaster!   

Good Day HK .... I also have laminated wood throughout meh hoose (this is the non-engineered kind of wood)

Weel to be mair truthful...the cheap kind. Which. if I recall right I bought oot ' B&Q's...On a Wed which allowed me,

(As an Auld Git) to benefit from a Senior Citizen Store Discount. With this, in additional to a special discount price,

I made a "double saving" ....It is guaranteed for a full 6 months...TWELVE MONTHS IF EH DINNAE WALK ON IT ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Good Day HK .... I also have laminated wood throughout meh hoose (this is the non-engineered kind of wood)

Weel to be mair truthful...the cheap kind. Which. if I recall right I bought oot ' B&Q's...On a Wed which allowed me,

(As an Auld Git) to benefit from a Senior Citizen Store Discount. With this, in additional to a special discount price,

I made a "double saving" ....It is guaranteed for a full 6 months...TWELVE MONTHS IF EH DINNAE WALK ON IT ;)

I too have the cheapo stuff from the equivalent of B&Q - in the dark you cannot see the underlay so it's all good! 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

I too have the cheapo stuff from the equivalent of B&Q - in the dark you cannot see the underlay so it's all good! 

And here anither wee tip freend ...

If you add wee rugs (or in my case, thon wee assorted, reject cut-oot carpet squares) at appropriate spaces,

it adds anither 3 months life to the "laminate"...In my back garden I have quarry gravel and occasional slabs.

However to get back to topic (albeit in a roundabout way) From my back garden, I saw a cruise ship  pass by.

There was also 3 fishing boats (more or less stationary) & 2 seagulls on the dyke at the bottom of the garden,

basically, not really interested, but just looking on. At front of my house a double decker bus just passed by...

This is an important event...Because being rural, there is hardly a need for a single decker bus. However, the

"powers to be" took it upon themselves to change the buses (without consultation) I blame the Government.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gedee said:

I blame the Government.

 

Westminster or Holyrood ????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

And here anither wee tip freend ...

If you add wee rugs (or in my case, thon wee assorted, reject cut-oot carpet squares) at appropriate spaces,

it adds anither 3 months life to the "laminate"...In my back garden I have quarry gravel and occasional slabs.

However to get back to topic (albeit in a roundabout way) From my back garden, I saw a cruise ship  pass by.

There was also 3 fishing boats (more or less stationary) & 2 seagulls on the dyke at the bottom of the garden,

basically, not really interested, but just looking on. At front of my house a double decker bus just passed by...

This is an important event...Because being rural, there is hardly a need for a single decker bus. However, the

"powers to be" took it upon themselves to change the buses (without consultation) I blame the Government.

 

Thanks for the tip Gedee, but I have a better one - I attach a square of carpet to each of my feet and hey presto - I add months to the lifespan of my flooring.  However, my wife is not too happy about the holes cut in the carpet - you can't win them all!  

On the subject of double-deckers buses - where I am, a double-deck bus is simply a single-decker with people sitting on the roof! 

Edited by HK Blues
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.