Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Is Dundee Fc Unmanageable

Was with a few friends yesterday evening and the topic of Dundee FC came up and where did it all go wrong not just this season but for decades now. I’m currently watching the Netflix programme about Sunderland AFC and they are a few similarities, toxic atmosphere and losing mentality. I asked my friends this question just to open up debate, not that I agree with some of the points below;

Is Dundee FC unmanageable? The toxic cycle of defeat and despair has meant Dundee has become a managerial graveyard

For decades now we as a club never pick the ‘right’ manager yet other clubs can (St Johnstone, Motherwell and even Livingston recently). Now, I’m not just talking about Keyes time as owner I’m talking about 10-20 even 30 years of Owners and Board of Directors. Every manager gets sacked by Dundee, we never pick the right one. The majority of the time is we pick out-of-work managers who have failed somewhere else along his way or worse, and untried and untested ‘name’ appointment. Once a manager leaves Dundee, then tend not to go on much further, we are the managerial graveyard. 

Former manager Alex Rae once said that Dundee fans are hard to please. Yet, he didn’t do too bad, finishing 2nd in Championship on a shoestring budget with a high point total that would have won the league in previous seasons.  Why are we hard to please? It’s not like we have had success on the field if anything you could argue that supporters are desperate for success.

Why do we pick the wrong manager? I agree that some managers need to just go, however they are a handful of managers that didn’t do too badly. Yet, we end up sacking them; Hartley (promotion and even top6), Rae (Finishing 2nd in 1st Div), Duffy (SC Final/European Football) and Jocky Scott (Top 6).

It can’t be a coincidence that every owner and directors always pick the ‘wrong’ manager in the last 20 years? Are the exceptions of supporters too big for a club of our size?

Do we the supporters make the club unmanageable and make the working atmosphere toxic?

Do we think our club is bigger than what it is? Is the reality that a club like St Johnstone is ‘bigger’ than ours? They have won the Scottish Cup recently and get European football. We haven’t won the Scottish Cup in over a century. Last time we had European football was nearly two decades ago.

Currently, we plan for top 6 football but yet have only finished in the top 6 three times in 32 years. So why do the club budget for the top 6? Why do we think we are a top 6 club?

In my lifetime (28 years) we have been in the first division (Championship) 14 times and the premier league 14 times.  We are a yo-yo club, yet why the hysteria by some that we are getting relegated this season? 

It’s a debate that could go on and on, and no one will have the correct answer... Debate away will be interesting to hear your thoughts! 

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Certainly would not think we are unmanageable ... And I would hate to think decent experienced managers are giving us a "body swerve" because of this.

Understandably no "proven Fitba Manager wants to see his hard earned/won reputation, go up in flames. But surely there are still many men out their, who

would see prospect of managing DFC (even now) as a job worth going for. Okay, no one said it would be easy. It's a challenge No Wimps need Apply:explode:

“Hard to please”

No major honour in 46 years...

Yo yo club for years

2 admins

Crooked owners.

False promises.

Fans deserve a knighthood for sticking it out for so long.

Then you hear the mob across the road who have had it so bad these past few years, poor lambs....give them some of what we have had past 30/40 years and see where there club would be...

The problem isn’t the fans. 

Yes we are unmanageable. Dens is a toxic place if we arent beating teams that everybody seems to think we should beat. We are sh**e but we seem to be the only people that think otherwise. I started the topic of who should be the next manager but in all honesty who would want the job? And the answer in nobody 

1 hour ago, GregTeamDee said:

It can’t be a coincidence that every owner and directors always pick the ‘wrong’ manager in the last 20 years? Are the exceptions of supporters too big for a club of our size?

Not in the slightest.

We've finished something like 9th, 10th and 12th (this season) the last 3 seasons with a top 6 budget and beat in the cups several times from lower league opposition. The only times we haven't underachieved in the last 15 years have been - one promotion, one top 6 finish, one semi final and less than a handful of cup quarter final appearances.

Do we the supporters make the club unmanageable and make the working atmosphere toxic?

We supporters are some of the best in the land backing this club year in year out after disappointment after disappointment and disaster after disaster. The home crowd can be a bit nervy at times. No different to Hearts, Aberdeen etc.

Do we think our club is bigger than what it is? Is the reality that a club like St Johnstone is ‘bigger’ than ours? They have won the Scottish Cup recently and get European football. We haven’t won the Scottish Cup in over a century. Last time we had European football was nearly two decades ago.

No. We have a top 6 budget and a top 7 fan base most seasons. Most seasons we underachieve. St Johnstone are a much more successful club than us over the last decade. They've never been a bigger club than us in their entire history though.

Currently, we plan for top 6 football but yet have only finished in the top 6 three times in 32 years. So why do the club budget for the top 6? Why do we think we are a top 6 club?

Fan base and budget quite simply.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16

I'd be up for a merge..

The feelings I have for the club are slowly fading away. I just can't be bothered wasting my time on this shower for much longer. 

It no longer makes me happy. Quite the opposite actually. 

We will never be anything other than a diddy yo yo club. 

The talk of bringing in someone like Goodwin make me want to bang my head against a wall. It's like we never learn. 

10 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I'd be up for a merge..

The feelings I have for the club are slowly fading away. I just can't be bothered wasting my time on this shower for much longer. 

The talk of bringing in someone like Goodwin make me want to bang my head against a wall. It's like we never learn. 

On your points:

No merger - a lot of older fans would lose more heart than have this season.

My feelings for the club will never die.

Obviously it's been the season from hell but then you find your own level, regroup and go again. with another new squad, who knows how good or bad they'll be?

As for diddy clubs, look at the rest of the top flight apart from OF. Wow... get into Europe then bounced out by the end of July. Admittedly better than we've been used to but depressing overall.

Goodwin...maybe.

23 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I'd be up for a merge..

A club that would struggle to get 1500 fans through the gate...

Even a successful merged club would struggle to break into top 5, so if the merged club became a ”diddy yo yo club”, would you stop going?

Would Montrose fans want to merge with Brechin? Course they wouldn’t...What success have they had?

Rather my club died fighting than merge with that mob across the road.

Edited by Mr Sensible

Adblocker Detected