The Dark Blues
Only me

So Who Thinks Releasing....

Rate this topic

Henvey Bradbury Lambert Scott Jeffries Etc To Subsidise Kenny Millers 2nd Year Wages of 5 Grand a Week Was the Best Approach for Next Year In Championship ,Was This the Best Practice for Dundee Fc

Who thinks that the release of these players and the saving of there wages/digs to subsidise having kenny miller for one year in the championship ?

Or would you have forfeited miller and hoped there was more value the club could get from the youngsters ?

A huge amount of conjecture in the headline of the post!

I think though that as fans, we maybe have too much of an emotional stake in these players to make a critical evaluation. I've no idea how they will end up but Henvey and Scott were sent back from loan spells in the fourth tier and then released. The rest have also failed to establish themselves anywhere else or for whatever reason, simply not demonstrated they can contribute regularly.

I can't speak for the specifics of how good these individual players are but every season, we get the same anger and outrage in March when players are released - replicating every other club in the country. The truth of the matter is that in previous seasons, we have been quite consistent with how many full-time deals we've given out and there hasn't been a huge variance in that so it's completely false to start talking about how we're doing this simply to save funds for the first team, I'm very sure that we'll have a new 20s/reserve squad going into next season and these players that have been released will be replaced by new players coming through the ranks here (which is what we've seen with a few of the Scotland boys stepping up to reserve football) and elsewhere. We have to invest in potential but we can't hoard players to the detriment of the generation after.

It's also pretty blatantly an insane proposition to talk about Kenny Miller on £5k a week. He was a 39 year old striker and it was a close decision between ourselves and St Mirren with us giving the extra year which swung it. We average about £60k per salary in the global football index for reference.

• Star Post 1

From the Club's Statement:-

• Expand and develop a first-class youth academy, which would serve as a supplier for first team players in the future
  • The Academy is stronger than ever, with the first group of kids from when we took over now starting to come through the professional ranks.  

After 6 years ownership, a reasonable question imo.

Edited by Dondeh

On 05/05/2019 at 12:24, Only me said:

Who thinks that the release of these players and the saving of there wages/digs to subsidise having kenny miller for one year in the championship ?

Or would you have forfeited miller and hoped there was more value the club could get from the youngsters ?

I don't know how you can pose the question in these terms.

However the basic idea of clearing out all these youngsters and the timing of the announcement is surely capable of an explanation. Why do it at that particular time in our season? did the early, or at least it seemed to me to be early, announcement help the youngsters in that they would know that if they wanted to continue in football they had to find another club? don't know anything about the way clubs deal with their youth players but we need to start trying to be regarded as a good club to come to. Saw a list of the clubs and their "category" in terms of ranking for their youth development set ups. We were in the bottom category and it didn't seem very good to me.

Well would you rather have spent the money on giving this group of youngsters another season to blossom and maybe find a diamond amongst them who the club could potentially gain from financially in the long run or spend it on kenny millers last season hoping he scores a goal or 2 ?

I know if i was running the club where id be investing his weekly wages n bilonuses its not as if hes saved us from relegation with his goals now is it ?