The Dark Blues

Season 19/20 - Championship Rivals

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Nottingham Forest are lining up to make a £2 million bid for Shankland this January.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4935824/lawrence-shankland-nottingham-forest-dundee-united-transfer-news/

I hope to go that this is true as that will mean they will have no real fire power after the start of the year.

Not too sure if footballers in general just travel light buy this guy is one of my neighbours and I can tell you he certainly looks like he's not here long term as his house is practically empty bar the basics. Looks to me like he needs somewhere in the local area but hasn't personalised it because he knows he could soon be on his travels again. Maybe that's just the way footballers work though.

• Like 1

Erling Haaland has scored 35 goals in his last 21 competitive appearances in the Austrian top flight and Champions League. If Shankland is worth £2m because he can find the net against the likes of Morton I dread to think what Haaland must be worth.

9 hours ago, Cobra said:

Erling Haaland has scored 35 goals in his last 21 competitive appearances in the Austrian top flight and Champions League. If Shankland is worth £2m because he can find the net against the likes of Morton I dread to think what Haaland must be worth.

They are quoted as demanding in the region of €100 million.

I think someone like Shankland is a quality player and lethal goalscorer who has a very high ceiling if his head is straight. I hate that it's our rivals getting the fee for him but if we had him, I'd genuinely be talking about those sums of figures publicly. Inflation has went mental elsewhere and it's reasonable that as a country, we should be seeing returns soon.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there is a release clause in there though and they are doing what we did with Hemmings.

9 minutes ago, harry94 said:

They are quoted as demanding in the region of €100 million.

I think someone like Shankland is a quality player and lethal goalscorer who has a very high ceiling if his head is straight. I hate that it's our rivals getting the fee for him but if we had him, I'd genuinely be talking about those sums of figures publicly. Inflation has went mental elsewhere and it's reasonable that as a country, we should be seeing returns soon.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there is a release clause in there though and they are doing what we did with Hemmings.

My thoughts exactly Harry.

Given how desperate the Dabbies were for him to sign, if he hasn't got a decent release clause he should be looking for another agent.

Just my opinion, but i do not think United will sell him in January.  Even if they do i fear they will still have enough about them to win the league.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, thegen65 said:

Just my opinion, but i do not think United will sell him in January.  Even if they do i fear they will still have enough about them to win the league.

15 points ahead and a £2 mill offer will test their resolve that’s for sure. The guy looks like he is loving his time (something I just can’t fathom) at the Dabs so I think he may be prepared to sit tight until the summer with the hope he will have a better range of offers to choose from. 

If only we’d spent the fee on him rather than on paying off numerous managers 🙁

1 hour ago, Valentke said:

15 points ahead and a £2 mill offer will test their resolve that’s for sure. The guy looks like he is loving his time (something I just can’t fathom) at the Dabs so I think he may be prepared to sit tight until the summer with the hope he will have a better range of offers to choose from. 

If only we’d spent the fee on him rather than on paying off numerous managers 🙁

What did we spend combined on Hamilton and Byrne?

Quite a few key players with contracts expiring at Inverness this summer that have not been renewed yet, perhaps with their financial situation looking a bit awkward (and rumour is that some have ruled out talks). I know we've not had huge success with players from the Highlands in the past but there are quite a few guys who are mid 20s and well established in Scottish football, the sort of signing McPake seems to be going for with Marshall, McDaid, Byrne etc.

Coll Donaldson (24) and Jamie McCart (22) at centre back, Tom Walsh (23) and Aaron Doran (28) for the wings and Jordan White (27) up front. Personally, I'd be delighted if we signed the first three. I think getting centre backs better than those two would be quite a big ask and really think Meekings is done, McGhee and the more experienced Forster to compliment players with a few seasons at this level who are also youthful would be ideal IMO. Walsh as well had a period last season where he was on fire and scoring/assisting in almost every match, he's got a reasonable record. Doran is probably a year or two old to justify the risk on his injury record and then I think White is a workhorse that isn't that rare a player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Did Donaldson not make it at Tannadice?

Looked upon as decent in the air, but prone to making the odd mis-timed lunge and giving away pens...

Apparently gets "Donkey" abuse from the shed..

54 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

He seems to me to be the type of defender who just needs a run of games, possibly alongside a seasoned partner, to fulfill his early potential. He's tall, athletic and a good age but hasn't played a massive amount of games. The likes of Man United have looked at him in the past and QPR took a chance on him so it seems there's something there. We could do with someone like him who we can get years from, a bit like the boy Steven Anderson who was dumped by the DAB's then went on to play 400+ games for St Johnstone.

1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

They had a really young backline with Durnan stepping up at 22 from Queen of the South, Donaldson himself at 20 after only a few months of football with Livi years before his move to QPR and then a 'keeper in Zwick who was 20 years old and just stepping up from being an amateur in the 6th tier of German football.

They were all raved about early on and in pre-season as looking good but very quickly, all the mistakes started to come and changes started to be made. From what I understand, Donaldson was a bit of a joker in the team and quite 'laid back' so come in for a bit of attention, when he took a bit of stick, he ended up biting back and really had quite a toxic relationship with the fan base who ended up genuinely hating him.

When he went to Inverness, he's been well up for the games against United and seems to be a bit of a puss shutter with a few MOTM performances at Tannadice. Seems to have done quite well since having regular football for two seasons, like @Reverend Lovejoy says, he's got all the attributes and youth on his side. I think he was maybe a bit immature and arrived in a clusterfuck scenario (a club who had finished top 6 for a decade consistently ending up a shambles) with a lot of pressure (i.e. him being touted as this former star down south who was gods gift etc) but he's come through it to the point that he can make a few mistakes and not lose his head.

• Like 2

That's United going into December having won all eight league games they've played in the city. We can't keep pace with that. Hopefully there's a surprise or two to come.

On 12/11/2019 at 09:24, harry94 said:

Quite a few key players with contracts expiring at Inverness this summer that have not been renewed yet, perhaps with their financial situation looking a bit awkward (and rumour is that some have ruled out talks). I know we've not had huge success with players from the Highlands in the past but there are quite a few guys who are mid 20s and well established in Scottish football, the sort of signing McPake seems to be going for with Marshall, McDaid, Byrne etc.

Coll Donaldson (24) and Jamie McCart (22) at centre back, Tom Walsh (23) and Aaron Doran (28) for the wings and Jordan White (27) up front. Personally, I'd be delighted if we signed the first three. I think getting centre backs better than those two would be quite a big ask and really think Meekings is done, McGhee and the more experienced Forster to compliment players with a few seasons at this level who are also youthful would be ideal IMO. Walsh as well had a period last season where he was on fire and scoring/assisting in almost every match, he's got a reasonable record. Doran is probably a year or two old to justify the risk on his injury record and then I think White is a workhorse that isn't that rare a player.

I'd take Donaldson and Walsh, even try to get them in january if ICT are as skint as the media have made out 

On 16/11/2019 at 02:06, Cobra said:

That's United going into December having won all eight league games they've played in the city. We can't keep pace with that. Hopefully there's a surprise or two to come.

I think the surprise will be that they'll strengthen in January, the leagues gone imo.

6 minutes ago, Head Shaker said:

I think the surprise will be that they'll strengthen in January, the leagues gone imo.

Yeah I think they won the league at Dens. I thought we were the only the serious challenges going into that game. Sadly it turned out there were no serious challengers.

It's never over in November though. The Deefiant season tells us what can happen in sport. So does Jean Van de Velde, Leicester, Greece, Buster Douglas, etc, but it doesn't look good.

8 hours ago, Head Shaker said:

And we'll offload one or our strikers. Even if one gets injured we've still got at least another one to come in.

26 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

And we'll offload one or our strikers. Even if one gets injured we've still got at least another one to come in.

If this were to be the case then i personally would let Nelson go and keep DJ, he has more to offer. IMO, I would also allow McPake & Mackie back to their clubs, Todd to leave and would have added Meekings to this however comments in the press from McPake suggests that he has a bromance going with him after his stats in the bounce game, which may not see a focus on a CH in January. 

I agree that Forest and Moffat from Ayr would strengthen our side, pushing gowser into a bit part / super sub role, may not be a bad thing as he is struggling to get the battery beyond an hour on the park. 

Latest odds: 

United 2/7
Ayr 9/1
Dundee 10/1
ICT 12/1

3 hours ago, Cobra said:

Latest odds: 

United 2/7
Ayr 9/1
Dundee 10/1
ICT 12/1

Nice earner for dees