The Dark Blues
harry94

Transfer and Rumour Mill Thread 2019-20

Rate this topic

Totally don’t understand why some fans are so desperate to see Wighton back to be honest. 

He played almost a 100 times for Dundee (yes I know a lot as a substitute) however other than a few flashes of brilliance he has never performed on a consistent basis and has done nothing of note since leaving Dundee. 

People are all going on about him being a number “10” and wasted out on the wing. For me I have not seen enough from him to suggest he can perform consistently at this level. Far too often in games Wighton is absolutely anonymous and offers absolutely nothing and at this point in time we cannot afford that. If Gowser is played in that position he might not always  be outstanding but we all know he will chase everything and pressure the midfield and defence high up the park. Wighton for me will not offer that. 

We all bought into the Wighton hype and all hoped he would have a big future but he so far has flattered to deceive. He may have ability by the bucketload but Sometimes that is not enough. 

Edited by Dundeefc1783
  • Like 5
  • Star Post 1

33 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

If may was to sign today could he play tomorrow? That enough time for clearance?

Supposedly won't be until weekend. I take it he's in the Aberdeen squad for Thursday. 

6 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Totally don’t understand why some fans are so desperate to see Wighton back to be honest. 

He played almost a 100 times for Dundee (yes I know a lot as a substitute) however other a few flashes of brilliance he has never performed on a consistent basis and has done nothing of note since leaving Dundee. 

People are all going on about him being a number “10” and wasted out on the wing. For me I have not seen enough from him t suggest he can perform consistently at this level. Far too often in games Wighton is absolutely anonymous and offer absolutely nothing and at this point in tome we cannot afford that. If Gowser is played in that position he might not always  be outstanding but we all know he will chase everything and pressure the midfield and defence high up the park. Wighton for me will not offer that. 

We all bought into the Wighton hype and all hoped he would have a big future but he so far has flattered to deceive. He may have ability by the bucketload but Sometimes that is not enough. 

He'd be a great option off the bench in the last 20-30 mins if gowser is going to play the no 10 role all season. That's not what wighton needs or wants just now, he needs regular games and he wont get that with us imo. He might end up at say Inverness which would be a great fit for him I think. Might come back to bite us but that's how it works unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Supposedly won't be until weekend. I take it he's in the Aberdeen squad for Thursday. 

Could end up being cup tied then? Or does he have to play?

10 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

He played almost a 100 times for Dundee (yes I know a lot as a substitute) however other a few flashes of brilliance he has never performed on a consistent basis and has done nothing of note since leaving Dundee. 

People are all going on about him being a number “10” and wasted out on the wing. For me I have not seen enough from him t suggest he can perform consistently at this level. Far too often in games Wighton is absolutely anonymous and offer absolutely nothing and at this point in tome we cannot afford that. If Gowser is played in that position he might not always  be outstanding but we all know he will chase everything and pressure the midfield and defence high up the park. Wighton for me will not offer that. 

Mini Messi was just the same. The difference is they managed to get some idiot club to pay 3 Million. How do they always manage it.

1 minute ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Could end up being cup tied then? Or does he have to play?

We're not In Europe, Billy. :lol:

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Agree with this completely. The lad is just not good enough I'm afraid.

He had maybe 10 good times in all those appearances. He's yet to have had a good season at any club he's been at.

Is too lightweight, doesn't create enough, hardly ever scores and his commitment is questionable. He's been hyped to death about being this sort of footballing genius but he's just another McIntosh/Linn (who have had very good careers in the lower leagues I may add)

ps.... there's no need to post the clips of him against Motherwell or Partick to try and make a point that he's a sublime player etc. I've seen it all before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

He'd be a great option off the bench in the last 20-30 mins if gowser is going to play the no 10 role all season. That's not what wighton needs or wants just now, he needs regular games and he wont get that with us imo. He might end up at say Inverness which would be a great fit for him I think. Might come back to bite us but that's how it works unfortunately. 

Difference of opinion I guess but I don’t see him having much impact off the bench either. If Wighton ended up at any of our rivals I wouldn’t lose to much sleep over it as just don’t think he is good enough to be consistent at this level. 

19 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

Agree with this completely. The lad is just not good enough I'm afraid.

He had maybe 10 good times in all those appearances. He's yet to have had a good season at any club he's been at.

Is too lightweight, doesn't create enough, hardly ever scores and his commitment is questionable. He's been hyped to death about being this sort of footballing genius but he's just another McIntosh/Linn (who have had very good careers in the lower leagues I may add)

ps.... there's no need to post the clips of him against Motherwell or Partick to try and make a point that he's a sublime player etc. I've seen it all before. 

I always thought that talent was the stuff you can't teach. He's got that, IMO, but maybe he is needing someone to point him in the right direction. Must admit i thought Levein had made a smart move getting him but it hasn't worked out for him. Is his injury at the bottom of everything. Some players never recover physically and it must be even more difficult coming into games, almost always when the cause is lost, and then be expected to succeed where the first choice players have failed. I'd like to see him again in a dundee team when he was fully fit and had put on a bit of bulk. We guys can be pocket battleships and it seems to me that he needs something new to fire him up. Same old same old, isn't going to improve him and I agree with your assessment of him, however, I disagree that he can't be improved.

• Like 1

May is still considering STJohnstone  as well as Dundee 

3 hours ago, BCram said:

Thanks Dondeh. I think it speaks volumes for the turn around in attitude that JMP has made. No way would anyone be so honest in the past couple of seasons. It kind of backs up what many many fans thought that there was something in the background that was affecting performances. I'm pleased for the club that JMP seems to have got that sorted. Fans need to take a fresh look at all our players and judge them as they play this season.

What, even Jack Hamilton ?????? That'll never catch on. :(

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

What, even Jack Hamilton ?????? That'll never catch on. :(

I see what you did there....😁

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Where you see that mate? 

Just from somebody at their place. Might be  sh**e, but delay suggests not.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it tbh (although I am refreshing Twitter regularly 😂) With the players we have already signed and who we are supposed to be after, its clear JMP has his eyes on quality rather than quantity. If we miss out of may then I've no reason to think he'll settle for just anyone. Here's hoping anyway 

2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Only talk of Wighton started on here. jMP has confirmed interest in May.

Like you say only on here has wighton has been mentioned coming back. For starters I doubt that CW would wanna come back and I Personally wouldn’t be bothered if he didn’t. 

Laddie has a new career and challenge let him get on with it and wish him good luck.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Where you see that mate? 

Was also on the Record's updates this morning that Tommy Wright was still waiting on his chairman to offer something. Been skeptical of this the whole way tbh and I would be wary of thinking it's a done deal.

image.png.844394b932b21712a80211a2f3b8afdc.png

Don't often comment, Just like to read along and see peoples opinions.

While May has not done much with himself since he has been at Aberdeen (Same could be said for our Greg Stewart and somehow ended with a move to Rangers). I do believe this would be an excellent signing. Let the lad rediscover himself but more importantly give some much needed competition for Nelson. To keep strikers firing they need to be on form and under threat that if they don't play well enough they could be benched. Ideal world Nelson and May play together as watching Nelson against Blackpool he needed a strike partner. Not to be hurtful to Curran but he won't cut the mustard I don't believe. Might be wrong. Conditioning or not.

As for the Wighton debate, It will rage on but personally he is not good enough. We all love local lads. Everyone wants them coming through the ranks but I feel he is just another Bobby Linn, Bryan Deasley, Kerr Waddell, Leighton McIntosh . . . the list goes on. Sometimes you just have to admit that he hasn't progressed how anyone thought and not for us this time.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Was also on the Record's updates this morning that Tommy Wright was still waiting on his chairman to offer something. Been skeptical of this the whole way tbh and I would be wary of thinking it's a done deal.

image.png.844394b932b21712a80211a2f3b8afdc.png

Yes. Heard we offered best deal and that they offered  premier. Big deal to their four fans if they get outdone by the f'in Dundee. He must be hoping for more from them which suggests they are his preferred choice. Can't help but think we should force this to a conclusion. If he delays long enough for them to come up with more money, we could miss out on getting someone else.

Spoke to my Dons mate today. He thinks May would do a job for us (condescending) but says his confidence is shot. IF he signs I think JMP could do wonders with him.

• Like 1