The Dark Blues
harry94

Transfer and Rumour Mill Thread 2019-20

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Blue4evr said:

Remember when Archie signed Connor, Brown and Duffy from lower league saying they were good young players with decent experience but desperate for a chance at potentially bigger team. Along with Rafferty, they were brilliant signings. That's the sort of players we need. Do well for us and possibly some money down the line.

Spot on, that should be our strategy now, to develop young players but to also source talent from the lower leagues that has perhaps been rejected or not noticed by the ugly sisters and others...:)

While the debate of us v Utd above is actually quite interesting, could we have that in a different thread and keep this one to transfer rumours which is the actual thread title?

• Like 1
  • Star Post 4

Utd the last I looked were a really really poor side and there is no chance we should be worried about coming  up against them. 

By the time the league gets under way I fully expect us to be in a position to beat them. 

Utd are shyte, were shyte, and always will be shyte. The only time in their history that they weren’t shyte was because everyone else was shyte.

Fook the DABs and all who sail in her.

• Funny 1
  • Like 3
  • Star Post 2

13 minutes ago, 19seventyone said:

Utd the last I looked were a really really poor side and there is no chance we should be worried about coming  up against them. 

By the time the league gets under way I fully expect us to be in a position to beat them. 

Utd are shyte, were shyte, and always will be shyte. The only time in their history that they weren’t shyte was because everyone else was shyte.

Fook the DABs and all who sail in her.

What about us? Are we sh**e?

Anyway....

I don't care how old the players are, but they have to be good enough.

Jack Lambert was a total standout in the under 20's when we finished 2nd and couldn't get near our first team. Same with Matty (great hope) Henvey who was showered with praise before being punted.

Unfortunately playing the youths might seem like good investment for the future but they need to be good enough. 

Going back to Lambert, prob top 3 best under 20's player we had at the club over the past few years and he was still not of the required standard.

A much better player than Moore by a mile. 

• Funny 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J_Kitamirike said:

What about us? Are we sh**e?

Prepare for incoming 😉

• Funny 1

7 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

A much better player than Moore by a mile. 

They're also entirely different types of player. What are you comparing them on?

Read on P&B that Yves Ma Kalamby has been linked. At least it'll be a laugh at the games, anyway. :( 

Heard a couple of rumours that Shankland is off to Sunderland. 

Don't think he'd be coming to Dens anyway tbh. Although I did see a few Fruitsters who genuinely thought he was bound for le stickle

4 hours ago, Ferry pub crawl said:

Bit surprised Jesse Curran hasn't signed up yet,hope he does and waddell too,need movement this week. 

I used to think Jesse brought something to the team, but after the last two seasons, still looking and praying he still has something to offer,  won't be catching my breath that he has anything to offer, going forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferry pub crawl said:

Bit surprised Jesse Curran hasn't signed up yet,hope he does and waddell too,need movement this week. 

He'll still be in Oz mate. Last season he re-signed late on once he'd returned. I suspect the same thing will happen this season. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Attilio said:

There is more than a fair chance that this is the way it will pan out imo.  It took us years and a fair bit of luck last time to get out of this division and some folk are seriously talking about us getting up the first time of asking.  With an inexperienced manager and what will be a scratch squad to all intents and purposes.  Comparisons between Utd and us will be drawn up from day 1 if they haven't been already.

You don't think we should be targeting promotion? We only need around 50 points to make the play-offs. Ayr comfortably made the play-offs with 15 wins, 9 draws and 12 defeats ( a decent season for a small club like Ayr but it would be considered pretty mediocre for Dundee).

The worst season in our history was probably 2005/06 under Kerno when we finished with 43 points. If we deliver another season like that then McPake will certainly be feeling heat very early into his managerial career.

We absolutely have to be targeting promotion.

• Star Post 1

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

You don't think we should be targeting promotion? We only need around 50 points to make the play-offs. Ayr comfortably made the play-offs with 15 wins, 9 draws and 12 defeats ( a decent season for a small club like Ayr but it would be considered pretty mediocre for Dundee).

The worst season in our history was probably 2005/06 under Kerno when we finished with 43 points. If we deliver another season like that then McPake will certainly be feeling heat very early into his managerial career.

I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't be targeting promotion, it's just not a reasonable expectation to have that we will go automatically up or win a play-off. We could do it but it's going to be tough and need a bit of luck on our side. If we hit 60 points, that'd be a really good season IMO and then the play-offs would be a free hit; next season it'd give the management a great chance to tweak the squad they've built and then go for a league which would likely not contain United and we'd have the biggest budget and a bit of experience.

It's just the case that a full season under Neilson would have had United on 70 points+ and if they do that again, I don't really think it's fair to expect us to do that with a new squad and the pressure is huge with the inevitable bad run putting that in serious jeopardy if it goes a week or two too long.

• Like 2
  • Star Post 2

I think it is easier, in the close season, to appraise the DFC situation, in a detached, cool, calm collected, rational way.

In other words (imo) at this time, I'd accept, a settling in period in the lower division, for new manager & players alike.

Winning Championship, or being involved in the play-offs, I'd hope for & see as a possibility, but certainly not a given.

The joy of winning a decent amount of games & putting in consistently improving  performances might just do me :)

I say "might"...Because as the season starts and progresses, my thoughts may change. The Championship can be a

graveyard (as we ken) for even most ambitious club. Certainly prefer a manager who set DFC's sights on top place.

• Like 1

Would take him. That's McDaid's side though. 

1 hour ago, Parcbara said:

We absolutely have to be targeting promotion.

Correct

12 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

He'll still be in Oz mate. Last season he re-signed late on once he'd returned. I suspect the same thing will happen this season. 

He’s having a bit of a barbie 🤗

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't be targeting promotion, it's just not a reasonable expectation to have that we will go automatically up or win a play-off. We could do it but it's going to be tough and need a bit of luck on our side. If we hit 60 points, that'd be a really good season IMO and then the play-offs would be a free hit; next season it'd give the management a great chance to tweak the squad they've built and then go for a league which would likely not contain United and we'd have the biggest budget and a bit of experience.

It's just the case that a full season under Neilson would have had United on 70 points+ and if they do that again, I don't really think it's fair to expect us to do that with a new squad and the pressure is huge with the inevitable bad run putting that in serious jeopardy if it goes a week or two too long.

I hope the new team don’t buy into that kind of thinking tbh. Course there will be pressure - decent players thrive on that and perform. Utd will be under more pressure. What’s to say utd will go up? Who’s to say whoever gets relegated from premiership will be less of a team for us to get past than Utd. I understand the good intentions of those saying consolidate in championship for few seasons but I don’t think it’s where we should aim. Dee champions - consolidate in premiership - more money coming in , new stadium . United can get to

DDYB

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

I hope the new team don’t buy into that kind of thinking tbh. Course there will be pressure - decent players thrive on that and perform. Utd will be under more pressure. What’s to say utd will go up? Who’s to say whoever gets relegated from premiership will be less of a team for us to get past than Utd. I understand the good intentions of those saying consolidate in championship for few seasons but I don’t think it’s where we should aim. Dee champions - consolidate in premiership - more money coming in , new stadium . United can get to

DDYB

No one is commenting on what mindset they have etc. It'd just be a shame if the fans lost their heads and demanded mass change and sackings if we don't achieve something that is going to be a big challenge.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, harry94 said:

No one is commenting on what mindset they have etc. It'd just be a shame if the fans lost their heads and demanded mass change and sackings if we don't achieve something that is going to be a big challenge.

Not aimed at you harry but several posters have voiced that aiming to win championship is unrealistic/ too much pressure/ too soon/ not good for development and other reasons. IMO it isn’t . We don’t even have the squad assembled to assess whether pressure might get to them . We should aim to win . But I totally get the concerns expressed that some will lose the heid if we don’t start well. I hope that’s not the case and there are certainly plenty sensible guys on here reminding us all to keep calm. If Utd  think the title is theirs before kick off - superb. I can’t wait to see them fail

Edited by DarkBlueKnight

P&B rumour.

Jordon Forster to Dens.

6 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

P&B rumour.

Jordon Forster to Dens.

Get Forster in and we've got a mid 20s centre back with some leadership qualities and experience of this level of football. I think he'd be a really good player to get in so hopefully we get that over the line.

Looks like he's back from holiday this week, it seems the case that a lot of players are returning from their holidays in the next few days, doing some social media stalking, so a lot of news soon I reckon.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Get Forster in and we've got a mid 20s centre back with some leadership qualities and experience of this level of football. I think he'd be a really good player to get in so hopefully we get that over the line.

Looks like he's back from holiday this week, it seems the case that a lot of players are returning from their holidays in the next few days, doing some social media stalking, so a lot of news soon I reckon.

agree with this. Right age. Relevant experience. Physical  centre back. 

We're very light at centre-half. Two ageing crocks and Waddell (maybe)? Surely we need a minimum of two in.