The Dark Blues

Transfer and Rumour Mill Thread 2019-20

Rate this topic

Been given a rumour that we're in for Doolan & Shankland. Checked out Sunderland's local papers and apparently, whilst they're interested in Shankland, he isn't a top target, with John Marquis and another ahead of him on their wishlist. 

Rangers and Thistle are both apparently in for Miller as player coach. I'm a bit unsure of this one as Rangers surely won't be offering much game time. A move there would be ideal for us though, with maybe Jimmy Nicholl's contacts being behind this, IF it has any substance.

Finally we're in for 1 more defender (probably Turner), 2 if Waddell rejects the offer of a new deal.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember watching Dundee in the old First Division and us having zero presence in midfield. It used to do my head in. Some days you knew we had no chance of winning because we were non-existent in t

Was at Dunfermline on Friday and Craig Wighton and his lady were sitting behind us cheering on the Dee. Class act , paid his  money same as us punters 👍

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Nelson's fitness is a huge worry though.

I hope all is good there but he's a young guy who has had a lot wrong for his age and was really struggling near the end of last season. Fans were berating the manager about him not starting games but he was clearly not right when you saw him go off and there have been a few rumours about arthritis.

Harry, heard the same about his arthritis, a while ago, at the time couldn't understand how this wasn't picked up during a decent medical, I have arthritis in my right knee and it's easily picked up in a simple x Ray. He's a good player, but to get a Quarter of a season out of him being Fully fit will be a hard call, he had to know, he wasn't totally fit, when he signed for us.

5 minutes ago, Rocky Boy said:

Harry, heard the same about his arthritis, a while ago, at the time couldn't understand how this wasn't picked up during a decent medical, I have arthritis in my right knee and it's easily picked up in a simple x Ray. He's a good player, but to get a Quarter of a season out of him being Fully fit will be a hard call, he had to know, he wasn't totally fit, when he signed for us.

Just Googled arthritis and it's diagnosis and this is something that widely available on a few websites-

Rheumatoid arthritis can be difficult to diagnose in its early stages because the early signs and symptoms mimic those of many other diseases. There is no one blood test or physical finding to confirm the diagnosis. During the physical exam, your doctor will check your joints for swelling, redness and warmth.1 Mar 2019

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Just Googled arthritis and it's diagnosis and this is something that widely available on a few websites-

Rheumatoid arthritis can be difficult to diagnose in its early stages because the early signs and symptoms mimic those of many other diseases. There is no one blood test or physical finding to confirm the diagnosis. During the physical exam, your doctor will check your joints for swelling, redness and warmth.1 Mar 2019

My knee had swelling and poor movement, I am in agony every day now, but I KNEW, something wasn't quite right, before I was diagnosed, these days, I am sadly a Crock, like quite a few of our first team squad, but Three times their age.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Rocky Boy said:

My knee had swelling and poor movement, I am in agony every day now, but I KNEW, something wasn't quite right, before I was diagnosed, these days, I am sadly a Crock, like quite a few of our first team squad, but Three times their age.

I'm no doctor mate but I'm guessing that a young professional sportsman like Nelson wouldn't be someone who'd be flagged up as a potential arthritis sufferer. I'm guessing there will be many other things that a medical would be checking for.

Sorry to hear about your knee by the way. Have you tried apple cider vinegar/mollasses?. Apparently it's very good for relieving the pain.

3 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We haven't even signed Doolan yet. We have other players than Curran. We are in the middle of a rebuilding job. I'm 100% certain that Dundee won't go into next season pinning all their hopes on Kris Doolan & Craig Curran getting us goals. I suspect, being eternally optimistic, that you don't either.

I'll certainly remain hopeful until the end of the summer that the squad we're building will have goals in it but I'm also aware of the trouble we've had finding a goalscorer since Hemmings and Stewart were sold. In the last three seasons we've averaged 0.9 goals per game. Haber, El Bak, Loy, Wighton, Yordi, Murray, Moussa, AJ, Kallman, Wright and Mendy have all left for a variety of reasons but none of them were exactly banging them in. We've Nelson (who has major question marks over his fitness) and Curran (who is still looking for his first Dundee goal) and we're strongly linked with Doolan (who Partick got rid of because the goals dried up).

Losing Miller would be a significant blow IMO. We should find it easier to score goals in the Championship but I suspect it will be harder to recruit a goalscorer in the coming weeks. I really don't want us to spend all season talking about the need for a "proven finisher" after we've handed Miller money to walk away and then join a potential title rival.

• Like 6
  • Star Post 1
10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I'll certainly remain hopeful until the end of the summer that the squad we're building will have goals in it but I'm also aware of the trouble we've had finding a goalscorer since Hemmings and Stewart were sold. In the last three seasons we've averaged 0.9 goals per game. Haber, El Bak, Loy, Wighton, Yordi, Murray, Moussa, AJ, Kallman, Wright and Mendy have all left for a variety of reasons but none of them were exactly banging them in. We've Nelson (who has major question marks over his fitness) and Curran (who is still looking for his first Dundee goal) and we're strongly linked with Doolan (who Partick got rid of because the goals dried up).

Losing Miller would be a significant blow IMO. We should find it easier to score goals in the Championship but I suspect it will be harder to recruit a goalscorer in the coming weeks. I really don't want us to spend all season talking about the need for a "proven finisher" after we've handed Miller money to walk away and then join a potential title rival.

I honestly think you're overstating the value of Miller mate, he might go on to have a successful season elsewhere but that's not guaranteed. If people were posting that we were after a striker who'll be 40 in December to fire us to promotion then you're talking a 20 pager at least.

• Like 1

Anyone doubting that Miller will be too old at 40 would have been shocked to see McPake taking Kenny down to the Antiques Roadshow at the V&A today. Not sure what valuation was placed on him but I am sure it will be accurately  reported in The Courier tomorrow.

• Funny 5
47 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I knew I'd have arthritis in an elbow when I fractured it at 19. Managed to have a career in a fairly physical workplace, still played rugby at a crap level as a prop into my late 30's. It started catching me up in my 40's, Only officially got it diagnosed when I left the job at 45 but I've maybe been luckier than some. Brufen is your friend with arthritis.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I honestly think you're overstating the value of Miller mate, he might go on to have a successful season elsewhere but that's not guaranteed. If people were posting that we were after a striker who'll be 40 in December to fire us to promotion then you're talking a 20 pager at least.

Yeah folk were furious when we signed Miller (because of his age) but he was labelled the signing of the summer when he started banging in the goals. Who knows how many goals he would have scored if we made him our main man up front for the whole season?

Miller was sensational in the destruction of Accies at Dens (our only home league win last season) and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same against the likes of Alloa and Arbroath.

You expect a striker to be retired by 40 but when you're one of the best of your generation like Sheringham and Miller you can turn 40 and still show up guys half your age.

Kazuyoshi Miura is still scoring goals aged 52 in the Japanese second tier. Every player is different. Some are finished by 28 and some just keep going. You need to judge on performance rather than age.

If Miller does get shown the door though I hope you're right in thinking that he won't be miss and will be replaced.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

What if he doesn't accept the transfer?. We can't just sell him to someone else without the player agreeing to the terms of the transfer. If he's on £2k here and Thistle offer £1250k he'll turn it down.

I understand that but if he want to go he has to accept his new employers salary.

I Can’t see Miller staying if he’s told he won’t play for us, he wants to play football and will go someplace where he will play time is not on his side, I hope we keep him I think he will still score goals. 

53 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I think one reason for our lack of goals was the sterile negative tactics that both Macs deployed.

The new Mac hopefully will go out to dominate teams instead of puerile standing off teams.

1 hour ago, Rocky Boy said:

I was told I had arthritic change in my knees at about 28 YOA, never had a symptom but was spotted during an exploratory op in DRI 😮 after an accident

I'm now 56 and sometimes feel it, it's never been painful or limiting to me.

• Like 1