The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
Sign in to follow this  
harry94

Transfer and Rumour Mill Thread 2019-20

Rate this topic

Ross McCrorie being allowed to leave Rangers on loan. Would be a great signing and could cover both CH and CM. 

3 hours ago, Cobra said:

Might as well take a look at the lad. Could be our anchorman in midfield.

True but I’m sure there are other guys we could look at from the States. 

1 minute ago, DFC1974 said:

True but I’m sure there are other guys we could look at from the States. 

The trouble is that, like with so many other things, the States is totally fucked up when it comes to developing gifted young footballers. I believe that youngsters generally get scholarships because their parents are rich rather than because of ability so I doubt it's worth us putting our limited resources into finding American talent. Pulisic is quality but he seems to be the exception.

7 hours ago, Gowrie Dee 1962 said:

Seems a strange one!

wp_ss_20190629_0001.png

Still got my “Jimmy Murphy is faster than a 125” badge somewhere

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

The trouble is that, like with so many other things, the States is totally fucked up when it comes to developing gifted young footballers. I believe that youngsters generally get scholarships because their parents are rich rather than because of ability so I doubt it's worth us putting our limited resources into finding American talent. Pulisic is quality but he seems to be the exception.

That is the exact opposite of who the system works.

University in America is exceptionally expensive and the scholarship system allows gifted individuals, athletes or otherwise the opportunity to study and develop.

As such most athletes don't turn professional until the early 20's meaning if your athletic career doesn't work out you have other skills to fall back on.

Personally I think it is a good system.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

14 minutes ago, Fredeye said:

That is the exact opposite of who the system works.

University in America is exceptionally expensive and the scholarship system allows gifted individuals, athletes or otherwise the opportunity to study and develop.

As such most athletes don't turn professional until the early 20's meaning if your athletic career doesn't work out you have other skills to fall back on.

Personally I think it is a good system.

That's not what I've heard from some Americans.

Just found this article from the Guardian. It's from 2016 but I doubt much has changed since then.

"As Doug Andreassen, the chairman of US Soccer’s diversity task force, looks across the game he loves, all he can see is a system broken in America. And he wonders why nobody seems to care.

"He sees well-to-do families spending thousands of dollars a year on soccer clubs that propel their children to the sport’s highest levels, while thousands of gifted athletes in mostly African American and Latino neighborhoods get left behind. He worries about this inequity. Soccer is the world’s great democratic game, whose best stars have come from the world’s slums, ghettos and favelas. And yet in the US the path to the top is often determined by how many zeroes a parent can write in their checkbook."

It's curious that America is far more diverse than say England and France yet has far fewer non-white players playing for the national teams.

• Like 1

I watch live games of United States Soccer League (Championship, league 1 & 2), decent standard with some decent players! It's a good set-up.  You can watch live or the highlights on YouTube 

Championship - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBhFPYpX9WBxYRMGzqLjoMA

League one - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWoz8F5zkZ-7lF1IKgNSJJg

League two - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQpZB0Xyc-aCc0jEWUnq5g

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

That's not what I've heard from some Americans.

Just found this article from the Guardian. It's from 2016 but I doubt much has changed since then.

"As Doug Andreassen, the chairman of US Soccer’s diversity task force, looks across the game he loves, all he can see is a system broken in America. And he wonders why nobody seems to care.

"He sees well-to-do families spending thousands of dollars a year on soccer clubs that propel their children to the sport’s highest levels, while thousands of gifted athletes in mostly African American and Latino neighborhoods get left behind. He worries about this inequity. Soccer is the world’s great democratic game, whose best stars have come from the world’s slums, ghettos and favelas. And yet in the US the path to the top is often determined by how many zeroes a parent can write in their checkbook."

It's curious that America is far more diverse than say England and France yet has far fewer non-white players playing for the national teams.

Maybe football is not ethnically diverse.

But look at basketball, American football and baseball.

I genuinely think America has a more democratic and more thoughtful system then our complete lack of system.

Sport is about winning and generally that means acquiring the best talent, regardless of their background.

11 minutes ago, Fredeye said:

I genuinely think America has a more democratic and more thoughtful system then our complete lack of system.

Sport is about winning and generally that means acquiring the best talent, regardless of their background.

Not sure about winning, what about being active, keeping fit, socially engageing, learning teamwork, life skills, etc. Pro sport maybe about winning but most of the world are amatuers.

15 minutes ago, Fredeye said:

Fifa are so desperate to make money from the American dollars they make it virtually impossible for the USA to fail to reach the World Cup. The team are so crap though they somehow did fail to reach the last World Cup.

Why are they so bad? I think it's partly because ethnic minorities are priced out of getting involved and rich mediocre kids are given all the opportunities.

Here's an article from yesterday asking why the USA women's team is so white. Clearly the system is flawed.

Imagine it was Shankland. Oh ya fucker 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Record...

Jordon Forster has signed a two-year deal to become Dundee’s latest summer signing, with the option for a further season.

The former Hibs centre-back will now head to Spain to join James McPake’s squad at their summer training camp.

The Dens Park club have moved quickly in the market this summer as they look to secure an immediate return to the Premiership.

They’ve brought in Declan McDaid, Shaun Byrne, Jordan McGhee, Jordan Marshall and Jamie Ness.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Yes early morning signings! 👏🏻

What the f**k is going on here? This is getting to good to be true 

Wonder how many of the trialists will play today? Cant make it because I'm working but really wanted to see how fyvie looked, can see him.being the next signing 

Pity we didn't have this set-up in place last season.

We'd still be in the top league.

Great stuff so far this summer. 💙

• Like 2

McCann’s philosophy appeared to be signing loads of non league sh**e and it appears McPake’s is to field an entire starting eleven who’s forename starts with J 😂

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

McCann’s philosophy appeared to be signing loads of non league sh**e and it appears McPake’s is to field an entire starting eleven who’s forename starts with J 😂

Yeah he likes his Jordans. Just need the big two up front and we're good to go.

Image result for jordan katie price breasts

• Funny 4