Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

ST Sales in the Championship

BCram

image.png.212082ae7c77f1ea043cdc819d4a1009.png

I just looked through James Christie's excellent match reports on the Official website and picked the matches where the Away support was listed to give the size of the Home support. I was hoping to see some figure that might be significant. Best I can come up with is that there is more to watching Dundee play than going to see the top teams. The single Rangers game this season at Dens seems to me to be interesting in that the 4638 is just about the average for our Home support for the games listed above.

I don't know the number of ST sales but since it is likely to be a constant component in these figures given that the total sales of ST's is combined with the PATG to give the home attendance it looks to me as though with ST sales of about 3500 we have a PATG support of somewhere between 700 and 1500.

I think that the ST sales will need to be marketed much more effectively than just extending Early Bird Options. I don't have any insight into the age profile of our club. I wonder if an anonymous poll of the forum members might be helpful. It could be a complete waste of effort because it seems that it's full of grumpy old gits, like me, but perhaps I'm totally wrong. The club will know exactly the age profile of all the supporters who visited Dens. I hope they are using their figures to try to see where there is a need for action, especially if there are benchmarks that they can use to compare DFC with other clubs, Scotland seems to me to be going backwards and perhaps we should be looking to europe to see if there are ideas we can incorporate into our commercial strategy.

Our club needs help and ideas to try to build a new culture of winning and building an atmosphere of enthusiasm for attending Dee matches. Making the SE a cheaper, youth based stand might be worth thinking about. Asking ALL ST holders if they would like to add a child at the time of their purchase of their ST might be helpful in trying to bring in the future supporters for our club. Child could be limited to staying at home with you.   

As an aside the 2 Celtic games, a Hibs game, a Killie game, a Hearts game and an Aberdeen game were all published without the Away support being listed. I'd like to ask that the Away supports be added to the Match Reports to give a more complete picture.

Adblocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

There has been a lack of any home games on the fixture list which would have been regarded as "big games". Usually there are at least some games where all fans are really up for it.

First home game of the season you should be expecting most fans to turn up. New season optimism, new signings and all that. The League Cup format now means you have more of gradual start to the season that takes away from that opener a bit. With our poor performances in the cup, defeat to St Mirren the week before, plus McCann already being on a shoogly peg, the Aberdeen game didn't really have the new season feel.

Macintyre's first home game should have seen a bigger crowd and renewed optimism. With the manor of his appointment (with Dodds gate etc.) and having got beat 4-0 to Livi, the new manager momentum was lost almost instantly.

Even Saturday didn't really have the feel of a relegation make or break game. It was more of break now or delay the break for a week kind of game.

You can't really get away from the fact we've won 1 home game all season as being the reason for the poor crowds. It's actually fairly impressive that they have held up as much as they have. That likely does mean the season tickets account for most of them.

Games against Old Firm, Edinburgh teams and Aberdeen should be ones to look out for in calendar. My memory of going to these games as a kid was that you may not win them, but at least there was usually a cracking atmosphere. Zero atmosphere these days. Fans are now staying away from these games because of this plus the fact you are being charged more for it.

The Derry is where the atmosphere gets generated. In my opinion, the club should be making this the cheapest part of the ground to try and get it selling out every week. £15 adults, £5 for kids. Encourage fans to be more rowdy in there, instead of having a steward pounce on them at the first opportunity.

That, together with some wins on the pitch, will improve things around the club massively.

8 hours ago, BCram said:

image.png.212082ae7c77f1ea043cdc819d4a1009.png

I just looked through James Christie's excellent match reports on the Official website and picked the matches where the Away support was listed to give the size of the Home support. I was hoping to see some figure that might be significant. Best I can come up with is that there is more to watching Dundee play than going to see the top teams. The single Rangers game this season at Dens seems to me to be interesting in that the 4638 is just about the average for our Home support for the games listed above.

I don't know the number of ST sales but since it is likely to be a constant component in these figures given that the total sales of ST's is combined with the PATG to give the home attendance it looks to me as though with ST sales of about 3500 we have a PATG support of somewhere between 700 and 1500.

I think that the ST sales will need to be marketed much more effectively than just extending Early Bird Options. I don't have any insight into the age profile of our club. I wonder if an anonymous poll of the forum members might be helpful. It could be a complete waste of effort because it seems that it's full of grumpy old gits, like me, but perhaps I'm totally wrong. The club will know exactly the age profile of all the supporters who visited Dens. I hope they are using their figures to try to see where there is a need for action, especially if there are benchmarks that they can use to compare DFC with other clubs, Scotland seems to me to be going backwards and perhaps we should be looking to europe to see if there are ideas we can incorporate into our commercial strategy.

Our club needs help and ideas to try to build a new culture of winning and building an atmosphere of enthusiasm for attending Dee matches. Making the SE a cheaper, youth based stand might be worth thinking about. Asking ALL ST holders if they would like to add a child at the time of their purchase of their ST might be helpful in trying to bring in the future supporters for our club. Child could be limited to staying at home with you.   

As an aside the 2 Celtic games, a Hibs game, a Killie game, a Hearts game and an Aberdeen game were all published without the Away support being listed. I'd like to ask that the Away supports be added to the Match Reports to give a more complete picture.

Hi BCram,

Thank you for your attendance figures which must have taken quite a while to collate. 

The home game against St Johnstone was played just before New Year and it is possible that a number of Dundee supporters who were home for the New Year holiday boosted the home support to 5,032. I was at that game and from memory we were very poor and fortunate not to have been beaten by a higher score than 0-2. 

Just had another thought. Is there any way to see how many of the OF fans, for example go to St J, St M, Motherwell etc. Same question for Aberdeen Hearts and Hibs. It might give a clue to how popular a visit to Dundee FC is. We could benchmark our visitors against their visits to other grounds. Maybe we could do a lot more to attract opposition fans and boost the income we get. Charging more just seems a pretty crude way to increase revenue and maybe we could do a lot more for the local economy if we tried to get a better away day experience for visiting fans. 

Its immaterial now that we are in the Championship but the principle still applies.

52 minutes ago, BCram said:

Just had another thought. Is there any way to see how many of the OF fans, for example go to St J, St M, Motherwell etc. Same question for Aberdeen Hearts and Hibs. It might give a clue to how popular a visit to Dundee FC is. We could benchmark our visitors against their visits to other grounds. Maybe we could do a lot more to attract opposition fans and boost the income we get. Charging more just seems a pretty crude way to increase revenue and maybe we could do a lot more for the local economy if we tried to get a better away day experience for visiting fans. 

Its immaterial now that we are in the Championship but the principle still applies.

Hi BCram,

I have a suggestion which might not boost income ticket sales but it might increase the sales of programmes, half time draw and food and drinks in the catering stalls especially as catering is now ‘in house’. 

The club should arrange to have reciprocal reduced admission prices with other clubs and also re-introduce PATG in all parts of the ground. 

58 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi BCram,

I have a suggestion which might not boost income ticket sales but it might increase the sales of programmes, half time draw and food and drinks in the catering stalls especially as catering is now ‘in house’. 

The club should arrange to have reciprocal reduced admission prices with other clubs and also re-introduce PATG in all parts of the ground. 

Yes, bringing the catering in house will actually provide an incentive to improve the quality and marketing of the catering. Think we used to occasionally see agreed reduced prices for games but was it not based on the cup competitions?

Just now, BCram said:

Yes, bringing the catering in house will actually provide an incentive to improve the quality and marketing of the catering. Think we used to occasionally see agreed reduced prices for games but was it not based on the cup competitions?

I have probably mentioned this before but I was at fans meeting in September 2012 where Scot Gardiner gave a presentation followed by a Q & A. He said at the meeting that the club had been in negotiation with several Premier League clubs (Club 12 season) about reciprocal reduced prices for Away supporters for games between the clubs. Sadly it did not come to fruition. From memory the previous season Motherwell and Aberdeen operated a similar scheme which a great success as it greatly increased the number of Away supporters attending  the games between both clubs. 

Surely it cannot be too difficult to organise especially if there was PATG in the Bob Shankly Stand. 

Adblocker Detected