Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

European Come Backs

Fair play to both Liverpool and Spurs for their amazing come backs this weeks. The press have rightly gone overboard about their exploits BUT were they any better than our come back v Cologne on November 3rd 1971. In my opinion our recovery that day was equally as good and exciting. This game has regularly appeared in numerous posts over the years but in our current despair I make no apologies for bringing it up again.

Picture the scene. 15,500 folk turned up on a November night despite having lost the away leg 2 - 1 and although we scored in the first half (John Duncan) we found ourselves down by the same score at Dens in the second leg with 20 minutes to go. The first year, I think, of away goals counting double so we had to score three late goals or we were out. Three goals from John Duncan 2 and Gordon Wallace and cue some of the wildest celebrations I have ever witnessed at Dens. I know there is tv coverage of our subsequent  2 - 0 win at Dens over A C Milan in the next round, another great night falling heroically just short, losing by a single goal on aggregate. Is there any coverage anywhere of the Cologne game because it would be great to see the scenes at the end, the only time in nearly 60 years of following the Dee that I invaded the pitch along with hundreds of others at the end. The scenes going down the Hilltown post game were also legend. Great Days that will likely never be equalled but lets hope our next celebration is winning the championship next year after beating the DABs 3 or 4 times during the season. We can but dream!!!

• Like 3

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Absolutely right, Troodee, unforgettable night, and as good as any comeback I have ever witnessed since.

The atmosphere and noise levels just grew and grew as we began to claw the goals back, felt like 150,000 there instead of 15,000.

Nights like that will never happen again I fear, sad to say, but what memories.

I had a feeling Bobby Wilson got the winning goal, not Gordon Wallace, but could be wrong !!!

4 minutes ago, deesforever1893 said:

Absolutely right, Troodee, unforgettable night, and as good as any comeback I have ever witnessed since.

The atmosphere and noise levels just grew and grew as we began to claw the goals back, felt like 150,000 there instead of 15,000.

Nights like that will never happen again I fear, sad to say, but what memories.

I had a feeling Bobby Wilson got the winning goal, not Gordon Wallace, but could be wrong !!!

Funnily enough I thought the same thing and thought my memory was playing tricks but I have gone along with the 'official' record from Norrie Price's invaluable "The Wore The Dark Blue" as I have never known it wrong before. I was also trying to remember the order of the goals before the 3 late come back scores. I think I recollect us scoring first making us ahead on away goals then losing two leaving us behind on away goals. What do others remember about the winning goal and the order or scoring?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, troodee1893 said:

Funnily enough I thought the same thing and thought my memory was playing tricks but I have gone along with the 'official' record from Norrie Price's invaluable "The Wore The Dark Blue" as I have never known it wrong before. I was also trying to remember the order of the goals before the 3 late come back scores. I think I recollect us scoring first making us ahead on away goals then losing two leaving us behind on away goals. What do others remember about the winning goal and the order or scoring?

Yeah that must be correct, just that Bobby scored some vital goals in Europe for us.

I must be getting a bit muddled with those

Those were great times indeed which as someone said unlikely to be repeated... The best we can hope for in the foreseeable future is comebacks against the likes of Arbroath Alloa etc ... Going back to this week I know that the Liverpool game was unforgettable but what about Spurs that game was unbelievable in terms of tension and outcome having 2 games like that in 24 hours was epic... This year's champions league has been the best for years. 

• Like 1

Adblock Detected